Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

FYI:Jardine round black high mounts no longer available

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:02 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
FYI:Jardine round black high mounts no longer available

Not sure if this is old news to anyone but today I called Jardine and the round black powdercoat high mounts everyone likes so much are no longer being made. Nor are any replacement parts for them, except for the spacer kits for the pass pegs (which are stupid expensive) and the hangers because they're the same as the oval cans they still make. SO if anyone likes or wants them you'd better grab 'em from places like starcycle or pipecity or off fleabay if they're even still available from any of those places.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:16 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
I sure like mine. Quite loud now that the packing is well seated...
Old 04-24-2008, 09:37 AM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah the variety right now symply blows. I've been trying to buy new high mounts and this is what I came across.

yosh-no highmount
2 bros-no more highmount
D&D - no highmount
devil- not shipping to the U.S.
mig- OOB
ixil- no more highmount

the only 2 that I could find were leo vince and jardine oval only. I went with the leo's cause I don't like the look of the jardine ovals(liked the round ones, but oh well) and even the leo vince's have to be special ordered from italy. this is rediculous. what else can't you get for the superhawk? I could find norton aftermarket parts easier than this. well exhaust anyway.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:48 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Looks like Micron still sells slip-ons. Appears high mounts are oval only though.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Back Marker

Spaz' is on a distinguished road
I just repacked mine with one role in each can in November of last year and it took care of the dB level by only a nibble. But they're still WAY to loud for my taste on "outside of town Sunday driving". I like chilling with nature - not scaring it away. I'll have to do a 1 meter dB test one of these days; I've always been curious exactly how much trouble I've been causing. The only thing I really have fun with, is getting the acoustic resonances tuned in under heavy throttle inside of tunnels and under overpasses. :P
Beyond that, Jardine tech' support says I have the race baffels and these gloss black high mounts are not the RT-Ones (I purchased the bike with these cans installed), and cannot accept Jardine's QMI plugs. If anyone has any ideas on how/what to properly fabricate to quiet these down some without adversely affecting the powerband (Obviously some is going to change) I'd love to hear some ideas.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:25 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

just measure the tip ID and order the corresponding size. that's what i did, anyway. when they arrive, it looks like i may have to drill a hole, but that's it. 2" id on mine, ordered from starcycle.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:24 PM
Back Marker

LineArrayNut: StarCycle, eh? I'll look into that then. Yea, my ID is 51.5mm/2" right at the exhaust tip. I was going to start a thread on inserting Vance & Hines tunable inserts and see where it took us. A pack comes with three different adjustment sizes and their really meant for 4-1 pipes. But figured I could experiment if I ordered two packs at $14 each - and I'd have two of three different sizes to play with behind each muffler or something.
Thanks mate, I'll have to look into that.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:07 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

wow! if i'd known that I'd saved $40 or so. the QMI 2 are more than 30 each damnit.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Spaz,

Loud pipes save lives by scaring the deer away from the road. That's my $0.02.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:11 AM
Back Marker

Smile

LAN: Yea, I saw the pricing on the QMI's and know I'd need two of them. At some point here I'm just going to have to fart with the Vance & Hines I think. Again, if anyone has any input - that'd be narly. With these race pipes - I swear I have to do my best to keep it down around town. And... ...I'm a pus' - I know. :P

Greg: 'Very much agree with you on the dB defensive/offensive riding. I really have become dependant on being a safe and responsible "offensive" driver with these pipes (Yes offensive). That is for sure. I'm very assertive in demonstrating authority when going in the HOV lane in traffic, in case anyone thinks about jumping out - the entire world can hear me coming.
And that's the thing that I've told other riders at work about them(The pipes) and my driving habits. If I want people to know I'm around - they only have a chance of seeing me perhaps if I'm in their field of vision and are paying attention. But one's hearing exceeds their visual perception of where I'm at - where by they don't have to be looking at me. And if they can hear you coming - you have a little better chance of making it through and past them(Drivers)/people/animals under general circumstances.
Thought I'd share my friendly concept of how this rider sees things, in knowning that "drivers don't see cyclists" - so utilize their other senses to your benifit - my two cents to everyone else on how I do my flying in order to stay wheels side down.
The deer though - !#%^^&(&*^ had a full size antler 'n' all, leap out in front of me by about 70' last year while doing a little over 20mph in a small dusty town (25mph zone after dark) 30+ miles from my place. My instincts said something looked out of place in the left side of my perif' vision and I gently started to apply the brake - not a half second later - sure as hell, he makes a 1-2-3 leap across the road and right in front of me. That was as close as I've ever had something go down with me.
So to combat with the wildlife getting to wild in front of me, I have a pair of ultra sonic whistles mounted up underneath the headlight - inbetween the forks. Naturally, I can't tell if it's working, but I do try to pay attention to dogs in the neighborhood, other animals, and deer outside of town when I approach them and observe their reaction to me as I get closer, and when I slow down or speed up - as their just regular air operated whistles, not the electronic type.
Anyhoo' - yes... ...yes... The pipes have indeed worked in my favor over the last year and a half that I've owned my 'Hawk.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:00 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

i had a deer incident on my ZX-7 in PA back in the 90's lol. here in TN i had a deer spear my jeep gr cher with an antler so i got some deer whistles like you're talking about. made the birds go crazy! dive bombing the front of the car as i drove. couple of drunks leaning on the bumper in the dark took care of that problem...
i agree loud pipes save lives - it's just that i'm starting to get some glares from the leos lately around town...
Old 04-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I'm not a huge fan of overly loud pipes, and I agree that it can be offensive to other drivers. I'm not the kind of person that enjoys pissing other people off - just not something I get into. But, I do not depend on cage drivers hearing (or seeing) me when I ride, loud pipes or not. It's just the way I ride and it seems to have worked well for me so far. The deer are heavy in my area though, and I'm glad I have gone aftermarket with the VTR and the CBR. The fuggers are just too unpredictable for me to be comfortable. I'd rather scare them off before they even see me.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Back Marker

Hammer7205 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
I'm not a huge fan of overly loud pipes, and I agree that it can be offensive to other drivers. I'm not the kind of person that enjoys pissing other people off - just not something I get into. But, I do not depend on cage drivers hearing (or seeing) me when I ride, loud pipes or not. It's just the way I ride and it seems to have worked well for me so far. The deer are heavy in my area though, and I'm glad I have gone aftermarket with the VTR and the CBR. The fuggers are just too unpredictable for me to be comfortable. I'd rather scare them off before they even see me.
Seeing as how Greg and I our virtually neighbors, I couldn't agree w/ him anymore. And no, I'm not being a
Old 04-28-2008, 08:04 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Spaz'
If anyone has any ideas on how/what to properly fabricate to quiet these down some without adversely affecting the powerband (Obviously some is going to change) I'd love to hear some ideas.
Hey Spaz,
I added baffles to my Micron's. Basically, I fab'ed a cone that welded midway up the muffler tube. Then added a slightly coned shaped disk 3" behind it with three pieces of 1/8" welding rod to hold it. There's about a 1/2" gap around the disk. I bought a 125' spool of stainless steel wool to replace the glass. Much quieter now, but still has that low pitch, angry bite to it. I used to set off 12 alarms going to work, I'm down to about 4 warning chirps with 1 full alarm. Here's a diagram to help explain.
Attached Thumbnails FYI:Jardine round black high mounts no longer available-baffle.jpg  
Old 04-29-2008, 03:00 AM
Back Marker

Gregw: Thank you very much for sharing that with me. I had an idea that there would be some sort of creative setup like that to some extent; good concept with the conic diffusion and reflective wall baffling features. I've only inherited my dad's gas welder recently and I'm kind of a noob' with it. However was curious as to what people had been up to when coming across dB issues with their aftermarket systems.
And after thinking it over... ...and still thinking it over, I have the feeling I'm going to go with the Vance & Hines inserts that are being made available at Dennis Kirk for $15 a pack: http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...Id=40306&mmyId=
If I end up going with this, I'll be sure to get back to everyone here and let people know how it turned out. In the mean time, more creative ideas are welcome. I'm a very hobby'ish acoutics nerd - at a very entry level, but am curious about the way people approach this sort of problem.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

I forgot to mention that I didn't have to re-jet the carbs. I leaned them out a half clip, but went back after a test ride. I went years without welding. I've found that the more I do, the more I do. I look at stuff now saying "I can do that myself" Just made a front lift for the bike last weekend for the front end swap. So get out to the garage and start practicing! Here's a shot of a test fit, I decided to go with a pair of come-a-longs instead since I can lower the bike gradually.
Attached Thumbnails FYI:Jardine round black high mounts no longer available-frontstand.jpg  
Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Back Marker

A clean and sound build there Gregw. To funny that this has been brought up now... ...The front wheel is due for a new tire within the next several weeks of riding. Indeed I am responsible for getting my butt out there very soon to start working with the welder some - specifically so I can make a front end lift.
I ended up ordering those Vance & Hines inserts, and they should be at my doorstep by Friday; I'll work on getting a "before and after" dB reading for everyone in addition to my notes.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Squid

supertrooper is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Spaz'
LineArrayNut: StarCycle, eh? I'll look into that then. Yea, my ID is 51.5mm/2" right at the exhaust tip. I was going to start a thread on inserting Vance & Hines tunable inserts and see where it took us. A pack comes with three different adjustment sizes and their really meant for 4-1 pipes. But figured I could experiment if I ordered two packs at $14 each - and I'd have two of three different sizes to play with behind each muffler or something.
Thanks mate, I'll have to look into that.
i have a vance & hines with race baffles and thought the inserts might work to. then i was told at Chaparral that those insterts are not sound reducers they are for tuneing the powerband by changing the exhaust pipe inside diameter just befor the muffler. the inserts do not affect sound level.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:20 AM
Back Marker

So...

I put the Vance & Hines inserts in. Yea, they are advertised as a tuning kit, and I did not get around to a before and after dB meter reading. It may not be as effective as the official $70 diffusion setup from Jardine, where they claim an average of ~5-7db+ reduction but...
I have screwed up my test results for everyone by installing these things, as well as installing my 4deg ignition advance from Factory Pro - at the same time. ...Yielding a very positive performance boost in the low end – period......
I knew this would be a result of the inserts, but the ignition advance install was to have a crisp throttle response effect as well. The throttle is more “crisp” indeed, and I would definitely recommend these two mods to anyone with a high flow exhaust that is looking to restore the lost “umph” in the low end because of a high flow system.
Quick and easy end result: If you have a 51.5mm/2" ID tip Jardine exhaust - Install these things along with a FP 4deg ignition advance and have some of the life in your ride returned to you. I definitely got positive results from it all the way around. Purchasing two kits, I installed one 1 1/4" ID (I think that's what it is - that or 1 1/2") insert into the exit point of each mid pipe (Entry point to the muffler). Both needed grinding at one end so that they can be inserted into the exit point of the mid pipe. See the pics...
Things may be a little more quiet, and they would have to be measured to prove it, but I was in a hurry to clean up the crank case gasket material for the 4deg ig'ad install. And wound up doing everything at once when I got down to it Friday evening - I don't think the neighbor's would have appreciated me taking dB readings at that time...
Concerning anything further on the noise reduction of these pipes: I might fabricate my own 1 1/4”-1 1/2” ID aluminum inserts and make a fitment for them to go behind the exhaust cap – we'll see. I bought my VTR with these Jardines installed, and I'm more curious about getting back some of my low end performance. Any noise reduction along the way is a plus – all without having to go back to stock mufflers.
There are only a couple of bolts, along with fin'dangling of the mufflers coming off to remove the inserts so I can take a “before” measurement and I'm sure I'll get around to it someday, but I won't do it with just my Radio Shack dB meter – I want it done with my little spectrum analyzer shareware thingy so we can see the true acoustic signatures of what's going on. That means waiting for my friend with the laptop to come over, or me disassembling my entire PC and hauling it out to the patio and setting it up there. We'll see what happens.

Happy trail'z...
Attached Thumbnails FYI:Jardine round black high mounts no longer available-how-2.jpg   FYI:Jardine round black high mounts no longer available-how-3.jpg  
Old 05-05-2008, 06:43 AM
Superstock

pigwings
T&R

Originally Posted by swordfish
yeah the variety right now symply blows. I've been trying to buy new high mounts and this is what I came across.

yosh-no highmount
2 bros-no more highmount
TBR will modify existing hi-mount pipes to match new VALE mufflers, but screwed otherwise.
Wish someone would make a MotoGP single exhaust type system.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
I ordered a set of the black round high mounts 5/9/08 from exoticsportbike.com if anyone is looking for source. As long as they're a little lower than Harley loud I'm good with it.
The pipe # is 16-1012-03....does anyone know if these are the race or street core? I didn't get a choice when ordering and can't find any info on it.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Administrator
World Champion

I went on a ride this weekend and got my first comment on the new Jardines from the rider behind. He said it was loud as hell, but not as loud as a Hardly. FWIW, we were railing Saturday, the revs were up, and I was on the throttle stop on the exit of almost every turn.

Did I mention I LOVE the new forks???
Old 05-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
OK - correction - My order for the black round highmounts thru exoticsportbike.com just went POOF! They just called and said they had no more in stock and can't get more (then take them off the website, duh). That's what I get for ordering online rather than picking up the phone. Cancelled my order....I'll keep looking.