Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

FYI if you need sliders (you do)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:01 PM
RIPI
Squid
Squid

RIPI is on a distinguished road
Two sents¦ Oggy ***** sliders saved the tank and fairing in a 50 mph low side and they replaced the entire damaged slider, mounting hardware and all, for free after a few nice words to them in an email. Aussies are awesome!
Old 05-09-2011, 10:19 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yes 8541, you do. My opinion in the title of my thread. Shocking huh? My opinion as a long time rider with empiracal evidence. One hawkers opinion. Pretty equal to what you have (one hawkers opinion). Like I said, feel free to not run them, please.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:20 AM
Army Aviation
Squid

Firefly is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Just a factoid. I have been running F4i sliders on the hawk for a while. They are way more plentiful and cheaper because of it. They have the same mounting type as the hawk. The dont jut around the fairing with a bracket but that didn't bother me.

This is the only pic I could find where you can see them. One thing, you may need to outsource bolts to fit (a bike shop gave me some free)
why so serious?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
I run T-Rex sliders under the "Better to have them and not need them" theory.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Yes 8541, you do.
Yes I do what? Sorry but you make no sense with that statement.

My opinion in the title of my thread. Shocking huh?
What I find odd is how rude and nasty this place has become. Have a different opinion than someone else and there is no longer a open and free discussion weighing the advantages and disadvantages of some mod. Instead it turns into petty BS each time..... Starting to not be worth the time to even bother with this place.

My opinion as a long time rider with empiracal evidence. One hawkers opinion. Pretty equal to what you have (one hawkers opinion). Like I said, feel free to not run them, please.
Just like I have empirical evidence that they can cause major damage. In order for other members to make an informed decision I felt it was only right to present both sides of the discussion, Sorry if that got you so upset.

Instead of just saying someone should or shouldn't run something, I'll leave that choice up to them, unlike yourself who has clearly stated they should be run.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:19 PM
RIPI
Squid
Squid

RIPI is on a distinguished road
: fight:: gatlin:eep wall:
Old 05-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Squid

FastRED is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
I was thinking something with more impact protection, such as this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2206/...797936bc72.jpg

Except for on a motorcycle
Classy..

I think people buy frame sliders b/c of the low speed tip overs mostly, but there is a risk as we can see from the pictures that were displayed. However, if you tip over your bike in the parking lot once you may be looking at up to about 600 dollars worth of damage, maybe more, maybe less depending on what youre running(exhaust, paint, levers, mirrors). Its the fear of having that happen and know it could have been avoided.

I think its good to know that it has the potential to tear apart your frame. I dont have frame sliders personally, its not at the top of my list, damn sure not going with the sliders that have a wheel on them, that just seems like it would avert the damage from the side(s) to the front, or back which could be way less cost effective.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
I was thinking something with more impact protection, such as this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2206/...797936bc72.jpg

Except for on a motorcycle
SWEET!!! Those noodles are only like a buck at the local WalMart. About 12 of those and some color-matched duct tape and I am good to go!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Squid

FastRED is on a distinguished road
yeah, another possitive is that you car can float. That would make floods a lot more safe for your car/bike...
Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
What I find odd is how rude and nasty this place has become. Have a different opinion than someone else and there is no longer a open and free discussion weighing the advantages and disadvantages of some mod. Instead it turns into petty BS each time.....
You noticed too?

If you don't like it don't run it, if you do then more power to you.

Let's talk about something like oil or velocity stacks then.....
Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Really? Rude? I disagree. Nothing I wrote has been rude. I posted a thread. I got a long winded story on why not to run sliders. Again, dont run em if you dont want to. Where's rude? No way are you convincing me that sliders are a bad idea (obviously). I see lots of threads that I dont agree with, I just dont post a page ranting of why I dont.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I liked it better when all you needed was a pair of case savers...
Old 05-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Really? Rude? I disagree. Nothing I wrote has been rude. I posted a thread. I got a long winded story on why not to run sliders. Again, dont run em if you dont want to. Where's rude? No way are you convincing me that sliders are a bad idea (obviously). I see lots of threads that I dont agree with, I just dont post a page ranting of why I dont.
Well by this it is quite obvious you do have an issue with me. No worries, it really doesn't matter if you like me or not.

The fact that some folks didn't know they could cause damage was the reason I posted what I did.

To bitch that my posts are too long, well that just shows you can't please everyone. Would it be better to just say they idea isn't all that good and just leave it at that?

For a final thought on sliders; Why is it that if they prevent so much damage and are so great that none of the top level racing bikes (MotoGP,Moto2,WSBK,WSS) run them. These are classes where a lowside is possible at every corner with how the bikes are pushed and picking a bike up and finishing in the points as opposed to a DNF can mean the difference between winning a championship or just placing.

Or why don't insurance companies give you a break on your premium (like you get for a alarm or completing a MSF course) for running them on the street?

As for whining that my posts are just long rants, well to me it sounds like you are saying the mean man is picking on me and i have no real answers so I'll try to divert to topic to something else.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Squid

dbog44 is on a distinguished road
Well by this it is quite obvious you do have an issue with me. No worries, it really doesn't matter if you like me or not.

The fact that some folks didn't know they could cause damage was the reason I posted what I did.

To bitch that my posts are too long, well that just shows you can't please everyone. Would it be better to just say they idea isn't all that good and just leave it at that?

For a final thought on sliders; Why is it that if they prevent so much damage and are so great that none of the top level racing bikes (MotoGP,Moto2,WSBK,WSS) run them. These are classes where a lowside is possible at every corner with how the bikes are pushed and picking a bike up and finishing in the points as opposed to a DNF can mean the difference between winning a championship or just placing.

Or why don't insurance companies give you a break on your premium (like you get for a alarm or completing a MSF course) for running them on the street?

As for whining that my posts are just long rants, well to me it sounds like you are saying the mean man is picking on me and i have no real answers so I'll try to divert to topic to something else.
MotoGP,Moto2,WSBK,WSS bike are designed to slide..ie engine protection Wood Craft to name one. Also the body's on those particular bikes are made up of much thinner and flexible abs.....Just my .02.....
Old 05-12-2011, 01:08 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road

Not to get in the middle of your argument here... And note that I'm not picking sides... But fair is fair, and facts are facts...

Moto2 are actually running sliders on the engine case, pre-mounted at tech inspection/engine build, and part of the engine that are handed out to the teams... Ie it's not even optional, but part of the regulations, and they are also by the rules mandated to have other parts of crash protection on the bike... That was made as a rule change early in the last season to cope with the large starting grid taking each other out in droves and cracked engine cases causing large oil spills that delayed the other classes...

Several of the MotoGP teams have protection on the engine cases too, since the new engine rules means they need the engine to survive... I can say for sure that a few of the "non-factory" teams with the greener riders are most certainly using more than just protection on the engine casing too... But true, the frontrunners aren't using anything except minimal on the engine...

In the case of the racers it goes back to two things... Disposable parts and less parts to deal with in the pits... If you dent a frame, it is unlikely to cause a DNF, you can still ride the bike to the finish line and then throw the frame in the bin... On the road, the insurance will most of the time total a bike with a damage to the frame, however minimal...

Same goes for fairings... On a racebike that's been in the gravel, with that available budget, you just rip of the flapping parts and ride on... Then the team can put a new one on the bike for the next race... On the road, you either pay for it yourself, or pay the deductable...

If you stick protectors on a racebike, you have one more thing to deal with in the pits... One more thing that can be loose, that can snag, or hinder the pit crew from quickly fixing whatever... At that level, you have a spare bike, or spare parts instead of trying to protect every part... Unless like in the middle class where you have green riders falling off more than they finish...
Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 PM
Banned
MotoGP

No worries.... and actually the answer I was looking for is that they all have non-folding pegs.

Now these act as true sliders in that:

1) they apply the side load to a point on the chassis that is designed to take side loads i.e. the swing arm pivot
2) if they do break, a rear set is much easier to change than a frame.

Then again, just don't crash and it's all a mute point anyways....

Just trying to keep you guys thinking, which is the whole idea.

So back to the street then, why no insurance breaks or why no factory mounting points?
Old 05-12-2011, 01:35 PM
MotoGP

No worries.... and actually the answer I was looking for is that they all have non-folding pegs.

Now these act as true sliders in that:

1) they apply the side load to a point on the chassis that is designed to take side loads i.e. the swing arm pivot
2) if they do break, a rear set is much easier to change than a frame.

Then again, just don't crash and it's all a mute point anyways....

Just trying to keep you guys thinking, which is the whole idea.

So back to the street then, why no insurance breaks or why no factory mounting points?
Actually, not quite true... Yeah, they all run non-folding pegs... So do I...

But to make the statement you made true, it needs all the bikes in all those race categories to have one thing in common with the VTR... And very few of them do actually mount the rearset to the swingarm pivot...

Most of the bikes have the rearset mounted to parts of the frame around the lower end of the engine, since very few bikes today use "pivotless" frames, with the engine as the swingarm mount...

So, in that scenario, you are once again putting a side load on the frame... And add to that, usually on a fairly weak mounting ear, with two small bolts...

It's pretty easy to break off from the frame... And that leaves you with a bike with no way to mount the rearset... Ie, new frame needed...

But yeah, it's true that the rearset is easy to swap... So usually they make the rearset weak enough to break and fall off... That way it truly acts as a protector... It takes the impact, deflects it from things that are more important, ie the frame, and then breaks to not cause harm in itself...
Old 05-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Still the easiest thing to do is not fall down...... lol
Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 PM
MotoGP

Still the easiest thing to do is not fall down...... lol
Well... I agree on it being the easiest on the bike in terms of repairs... It's however one of those things that's categorised as "easy to say, hard to do"... We both know that from experience and repairs...