Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

FYI: Inexpensive Shock Springs I've used

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 07:18 AM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Involute is on a distinguished road
FYI: Inexpensive Shock Springs I've used

If you folks are already aware of this I apologize for adding redundant info.

A few years ago a buddy of mine told me about this place:

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...ction=category

He bought one of these springs for his FZ-1. Since he was a portly fellow such as myself I did the same when I bought my Fizzer. I only had the FZ a short time but I was happy with the spring change.

I'm contemplating grabbing one of these for a short term fix on the SH and I'm wondering if any of you can let me know what the ID and free length is on the stock spring. Another thing I don't remember is what rate spring I put on the FZ. What would you guys recommend for a 260 pounder on the stock shock? Would the proper rate spring for my fat *** completly overwhelm the stock shocks damping ablilities? The bike is under sprung and over dampened right?

I know I can remove the shock and tear it apart to find the ID and free length but I'm lazy by nature and I'm sure someone here already has an answer.

Last edited by Involute; 09-20-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:40 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The front is undersprung and correctly damped for those springs. As soon as you put heavier springs in the compression damping will be too much and the rebound too little. The rear is probably close for you since it's oversprung. Keep in mind that Honda has liability and has to account for carrying passengers.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Involute is on a distinguished road
I finally got to spend some time doing some real riding. I did get some Sonic 1.1's up front and it helped a lot but it is indees harsh. The rear seems pretty good to my large butt. Good call! The riding season is coming to an end here soon. I'll need to do some more tweaking in the Spring.