Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Fork rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 07:37 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Fork rebuild

Sent a set of RC51 forks to Jamie for a full upgrade. I should have them in hand very soon.
Had the full "fix" done. Compression, rebound, springs and SKF seals.
The only mystery left is the matching of the front wheel to the forks. I may need different spacers as the wheel is off a CBR1k. Wanted to match the stock rear as close as possible (three spoke). Maybe I'll get lucky, but I doubt it.
Really looking forward to this mod. Bigger brakes, stiffer forks and I can finally ditch the crap head bearings.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:19 AM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
Old 03-24-2017, 05:57 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Old 03-30-2017, 07:23 AM
SuperBike

Shipping notification stats the forks will be in my hands this Monday "by end of day".
Now all I have to do is get the courage to take the bike off the road for an unknown amount of time to do the swap. Oh yeah and spend even more money for stuff I haven't thought of yet.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:02 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Which triple clamp are you running?
I have an RC front end on my bike so if you have any questions about the swap, just let me know
Old 04-01-2017, 08:45 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Which triple clamp are you running?
I have an RC front end on my bike so if you have any questions about the swap, just let me know
954 top and bottom.
Planning on running the bars (from a 954 also) above the triple. This is the area that is causing me mucho anxiety. Have been looking and asking questions about aftermarket bars. Have received answers (thanks Joe and anyone else I bothered), but still unsure. Really want to achieve a factory (stock) look while retaining stock, or ideally, a little rise over stock. I know that a very small change in bar position can make a very large change in control feel and comfort. Made clear to me when I swapped out my original bars for a set of 2nd gen stock bars. What a difference!
While non OE bars can "look" just fine, they don't have the "look" I'm after. Also I've already spent way more than I wanted to and I really don't want to bleed any more on this swap, if I can keep from doing so. Aftermarket bars are not inexpensive.
I suspect that I will also have a spacer issue on the front wheel, as I'll be using one from a CBR1K (3 spoke) in an attempt to keep the "look" of the front and back wheel the same. I also believe that there will be a very small difference (.5mm) in where the rotors (SP1) will be positioned in relation to the calipers (rotor carriers have the same bolt spacing). Maybe that is not enough to worry about, but as I am treading on unknown ground (for me) it is a question mark.
Anyway, thank you Mike, I know that I will need some help.
Here is the inspiration and, literally, most of the parts.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...rk-swap-19475/
Old 04-01-2017, 09:10 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
SP1 or SP2 fork legs? The difference between the 2 is where the outside of the upper tube necks down.

With SP2 forks and a 954 triple you need to run the forks pulled up either 5 or 10mm to get full engagement in the lower triple, it has been a long time since I installed mine.

I switched to a SP1 lower, once I found one and then you can run the forks in their stock location.

Sp1 forks should work with a 954 clamp with no issues.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:59 PM
SuperBike

I missed noting the forks are SP1.
With the exception of the front wheel and rotors, this is the set up that I bought from inderocker previously had installed on his '05 SH.
Good info, thanks.