Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Fork Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 05:15 PM
K30
Squid

K30 is on a distinguished road
Fork Rebuild

I recent bought an extra set of forks so I could get them done and still ride. I'm going to get the springs right for my weight(.95kg/mm) but am wondering if the RT Compression/Rebound Gold Valves are worth it or not.

I commute every day on it and ride the twisties on the weekends, but don't do any track days. I'm mainly looking to get rid of the dive on braking.

Thanks for any insight you have.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:49 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Just because you don't do track days doesn't mean you won't experience a significant benefit with improved suspension. You can do the RT installation yourself or ask Hawkrider or Jamie Daugherty to modify your forks. I've read only glowing reviews of their work. No one has said that they were happier with the front suspension before the revalve than they were after it.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Springs alone will fix the dive, so you don't need the RT gold valves. The gold valves control high speed compression only, meaning hard "square edge" bumps become less apparent. You'll notice the effect more at high lean angles where the bike tends to get noticeably jostled over bumps. For less than $200 it's definitely worth the money imo.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by NooB
Springs alone will fix the dive, so you don't need the RT gold valves. The gold valves control high speed compression only, meaning hard "square edge" bumps become less apparent. You'll notice the effect more at high lean angles where the bike tends to get noticeably jostled over bumps. For less than $200 it's definitely worth the money imo.
Not completely accurate... The Goldvalves come in two sets... One for compression and one for re-bound...

The compression valves needs to be in somewhat of a balance with the springs, so while it's true that the dive dissapears with springs alone, not swapping the compression valves makes the fork behave a little strange if you push things... So that is a no-brainer...

The rebound valves on the VTR is however rather good as they are, so those aren't really necessary, more like an optional extra...

Regardless of which, Jamie and Greg do their own mumbo-jumbo, so with them, you get some extra attention to detail vs the DIY version... Well worth the money, and the only plus with the DIY is that you learn stuff...
Old 09-07-2011, 09:55 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by comedo
Just because you don't do track days doesn't mean you won't experience a significant benefit with improved suspension...... No one has said that they were happier with the front suspension before the revalve than they were after it.
You are exactly right - all riders can benefit from a properly setup suspension. The way I describe it to people is this: springs support the load but damping is what creates the handling performance. Do not think that springs by themselves will "get you there". Certainly they are the first step, and if you budget is limited then I would definitely suggest getting the correct springs in there. I think you'll find that nothing compares the getting the valving setup correctly though!