Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

fork brace group buy? who would be intrested?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:56 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I like gators

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
It's been great! No wear or corrosion to speak of. The only thing about the one I have is that it was designed to have a neoprene fork sleeve/protector between the fork and the brace. Without it the brace is not tight. I use 3M double sided molding tape between them and it works perfectly.

Reminds me of my yute when it was the norm. On my baby Hawk (NT650), I made neoprene (wetsuit) velcro on gators that were easy to remove. Clean seals & tubes prevent leaks (OK the doors open)...

insert a close-up of your setup...
Old 09-22-2007, 09:24 AM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
Guess I was the second, oh well, I was on the fence anyways - change my previous post to 1 standard brace ordered.

Originally Posted by reaper
......UPDATE.......

I spoke with the folks at MFI and Super Brace is telling them that they only have 1 (one) black anodized brace in stock at the moment and we have two members that have placed orders for them at this time. This is a screw-up on SB's part as they told MFI they had sufficient stock on hand for both types.

Long story short, it will be two weeks before SB replenishes their supply of the anodized brace.

If this is the brace you want, you can place your order for that brace knowing it is backordered or wait a couple of weeks to place the order at the group buy price.

Aside from this, if there is anything else I can do, let me know.

Reaper
Old 09-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Ordered mine, standard w/ protectors. Thanks for getting the group buy together
Old 09-25-2007, 01:20 AM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
I got the Superbrace!! But I am struggling to take off the standard fork protectors. Is there a way of doing it without damaging the plastic??
Old 09-25-2007, 06:13 AM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Involute is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Killemall
I got the Superbrace!! But I am struggling to take off the standard fork protectors. Is there a way of doing it without damaging the plastic??
I'm pretty sure you just use a flat blade screw driver and work your way around it to get it off. It'll take a little time but once you get it a little more than 1/2 way off it get much easier.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:43 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
You can also try a piece of wood to distribute the force along with a hammer. They are a PITA, I agree.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Yeah, an ultimate PITA. Using a screwdriver as a lever you end up scratching the forks. I think I am just going to cut them open using a dremel.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:35 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Just get a small piece of hardwood, like a piece of trim or something, and use that as described above. No need to destroy 'em to get 'em off!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
You probably want to tap the wood versus bashing it, right?
Old 09-25-2007, 09:25 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Just get a small piece of hardwood, like a piece of trim or something, and use that as described above. No need to destroy 'em to get 'em off!
to not cut them would mean you'll pull the fork tubes, right ?
seems like a lot of work to save something that you'll toss away anyway.

tim
Old 09-26-2007, 07:19 PM
SuperSport

Anyone having problems getting the SB you want? If I can help let me know.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:27 PM
SuperBike

mine arrivied today.

thx
tim
Old 09-27-2007, 12:26 PM
Superstock

Verne
Got mine today. Took all of 10 minutes to put on.

Thanks again Reaper for follow through with this.

Verne
Old 09-27-2007, 08:50 PM
Utardian Extraordinaire
Squid

Involute is on a distinguished road
God forbid you scratch the spot that gets covered up by the brace
When you sell your bike you can keep the cut off pieces in place with hose clamps and sell the SuperBrace.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:18 PM
SuperSport

Involute, every time I look at your avatar I bust out laughing....you are one butt *** ugly girl. When you want a glass of water, do you have to sneak up on it........because your so ugly?!?

Just kidding.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
Got mine today. F.Y.I, an easy way to get the fork protectors off is to heat up something thin and metal, I used a gasket scraper, and just melt a line through them. No mess, virtually no chance of scratching, and it only takes a few seconds.
Doug o.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It's been great! No wear or corrosion to speak of. The only thing about the one I have is that it was designed to have a neoprene fork sleeve/protector between the fork and the brace. Without it the brace is not tight. I use 3M double sided molding tape between them and it works perfectly.
I have the same one as you Greg, as I was in on that group buy and mine is still fine also. The only thing I did differently was to pop it in the bridgeport and mill off around .005 (or whatever the compressed neoprene worked out to be) off each face and mounted it. Then trimmed the stock fork gaurds and RTV'd them to the fork..... problem solved
Old 10-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator
World Champion

I trimmed the top of my stock fork guards and they still have enough friction to mount on their own above the brace.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:21 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I trimmed the top of my stock fork guards and they still have enough friction to mount on their own above the brace.
I made the mistake of cutting them to get them off so I had to improvise...... it a Marine thing....lol
Old 10-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Got mine today, mounted em up. I didn't have enough space to hold the stock ones in place, so I cut them off. Anyone else get the SB fork protectors? Mine look scary close to the left inner fender with some compression...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:07 AM
SuperSport

Here is what I did with the stock fork protectors. I took a piece of wood and a hammer and tapped the protectors off like Greg mentioned and then I got some carpet tape, two-sided adhesive, and cut four small strips around 1" in length. I attached the tape to the lower fork and pushed the protectors down and in place. When I put the brace on I got as close to the top of the fender without touching it and that left me about 1/8" to 3/16" to work with.

If this doesn't hold and if you have worked with carpet tape, it is extremely tacky, my next move will be to use a thin bead of clear silicone to attach the protectors.

Here are some pictures:

fork brace group buy? who would be intrested?-sb1.jpg

fork brace group buy? who would be intrested?-sb2.jpg
Old 10-03-2007, 11:14 AM
SuperBike

i justed used two little dab's of gasket maker RVT to hold the stockers on.

tim
Old 10-03-2007, 02:03 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Just ordered a black one without protectors.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:14 AM
SuperBike

with the suns return this past weekend i finally got out on a 'spirited' ride with the fork brace installed. i was a bit sceptical since i talked with one of the northwest top suspension shops a few years back about fork braces and tube sizes ( fork ). he had commented that there effect was diminishing with the increasing size of the fork diameter. anyway... since a few people on this board said they were a good thing i jumped on the group buy.

i can honestly say it does make a huge difference. what i had always blamed on the 'superhawks tune'd flex chassis' ... instability in the chassis over bumps while leaned over - a lot of this was coming from the front end.

if you push your hawk hard it's really worth the $$$.

tim
Old 10-17-2007, 04:56 AM
SuperBike

Clarify

Originally Posted by Syclone
Mine look scary close to the left inner fender with some compression...
What is the left "inner fender"? Do you mean the fairing?

The directions say to use a piece of paper between the bottom of the brace and top of the fender to get the brace low enough. Doing that, how much lower fork is left above the brace to attach the stock fork guards; 1/8"~3/16" as Reaper says or a bit more? It seems the Coerce brace can get lower but its 5-piece design with nylon inner collets appears less rigid and more one-size-fits-all (by varying collets & cross bridge widths). How thick is the Superbrace in the middle over the fender and could machining a deeper "relief" in it centered over the fender lower it? Any there any other interferance issues? I added a second low-tone horn 180 degrees opposite the OEM horn (welded the 2 lapped brackets together to enable ready installation with a slightly longer bolt) and it seems at full compression the Superbike brace may come very close to contacting the rear (second Fiam disk) horn.

I ordered the Superbrace late yesterday (w/o their fork guards which are too small) but am having second thoughts. As it is back-ordered a week presently, I presume I have time to cancel my order. I plan on cutting off the OEM fork guards with a hot razor knife (don't want to have to otherwise remove/reinstall the forks), sanding down the bottom of stock guards so they don't trap water (like a circular gutter), and then mounting them with double-sided tape (similar to carpet tape) & black zip ties. I already applied extensions to the stock fork gaurds with peel n' stick velcro, and always clean the tubes after/during every ride.

Last edited by skokievtr; 10-17-2007 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:18 AM
Boosted
SuperSport

Originally Posted by skokievtr
What is the left "inner fender"? Do you mean the fairing?
I mean the inner fairing. With SB's fork guards, it looks like I could contact the top of their guards with the inside of my fairing if I really compressed the forks. But, nothing bad has happened yet. Don't cancel your order, I think you'll be happy with it.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:55 PM
SuperBike

my extensions

Originally Posted by Syclone
I mean the inner fairing. With SB's fork guards, it looks like I could contact the top of their guards with the inside of my fairing if I really compressed the forks. But, nothing bad has happened yet. Don't cancel your order, I think you'll be happy with it.
and I don't mean hair, are made of soft polyethylene and have touched the fairing when I'm set on the soft side without harm or foul.

Any other responses to my post (U or others)?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:03 PM
SuperSport

I measured from the top of the fork guard to the bottom of the inner fairing and I have 3" of clearance. I also weigh 260# and recently put the RT 1.0 kg springs in the forks. I would have to try really hard to mash the guards into the fairing.

A good point to bring up, but several variables come into play, spring modification and what type of braking are you doing.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:41 PM
SuperBike

Still waiting

since 10-17-07 for the standard sliver SB. Called early last week knowing they were back ordered and the guy at SB said I'd have them this week.

I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:55 PM
SuperSport

I know that Hotbrakes was waiting on the black anodized SB as those were BO as well.

Quick Reply: fork brace group buy? who would be intrested?