Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

fork brace group buy? who would be intrested?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
You have a screen name of "MarineHawk" and you didn't know where it came from? Where's your military history, son?!?

And yes, you DO have the fancy smilies. You have to go to the advanced editor and click on "More" link under the smilies.
I've spent 5 years in the Corps, and there's one thing I've learnt in that time is that there is no how or why or do not. Its just do
Old 09-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by skokievtr
Still don't know how much. The Coerce is a 5-piece design requiring 8 bolts to be tightened but because of that the forks are easier to remove individually, they also offer some adjustment latitude, and are thinner and permit the OEM rock guards to be trimmed & reinstalled. The SuperBrace is made in the good old USA (or is it?), is a 2-piece design requiring only 4 bolts to be tightened, has its own (for extra $$) rock guard (which is too short & narrow) and is easy to install (if your forks are right-on dimensionally).

Based on getting 20% of the Superbrace (= $118), the Coerce can be had for only $2 more. Shipping from Nippon is only $14 = $134 for the Coerce.

What is the total for the Superbrace, or at least shipping to, for example, 60077?

Thanks
Have you used the Superbrace to know that the rock guards it can come with are to short/narrow? That would definetly be a factor to my wanting one...
Old 09-13-2007, 04:26 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Go to SB website

Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Have you used the Superbrace to know that the rock guards it can come with are to short/narrow? That would definetly be a factor to my wanting one...
U can trll by the pics. If I get the SB brace I was planning to make my own rock guards taller & wider...
Old 09-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Superstock

U can trll by the pics. If I get the SB brace I was planning to make my own rock guards taller & wider...
I've never used a brace before, so I don't really know what I'm looking for when I look at the pictures. Can you explain a bit more how you're able to tell?
Old 09-13-2007, 07:22 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Here's a link to the brace itself.

http://www.maxmcdirect.com/proddetai...od=DA035HS1101

It fits right above the front fender and the fork tubes go through the big holes in the plate. It's like having a second lower triple clamp to keep the pipes settled down. If you're an aggresive rider and (especially) above 200 lbs this is a great way to address some of the squishy behavior of the stock Superhawk front forks. Hawkrider has one on his bike. I don't know the link to his photos but I have seen it posted in the past on the forum. Check the photo gallery - you might be able to find something there.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Hehe, WHAT photo gallery?

Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails fork brace group buy? who would be intrested?-hawk-lake-10.jpg  
Old 09-14-2007, 08:24 AM
Superstock

I guess I'm just not seeing how skokie could tell the guards that come with the brace aren't good enough. I checked superbrace.com, maxmcdirect, and am still not getting it. Why would they bother selling a part specifically for this if it didn't fit?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:14 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Smile

I sent an email to the owner of the dealership and I am awaiting a reply. As soon as I get the information, I will post it.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:58 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by reaper
I sent an email to the owner of the dealership and I am awaiting a reply. As soon as I get the information, I will post it.

Thanks.

looks like superbrace has group buy ( for klr ) on their website ( for the month of september ), did you / can you go straight to them and ask for a group discount ?

tim
Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
If this is still open, count me in. Thanks, Rob
Old 09-14-2007, 05:27 PM
SuperSport

trinc:

Your right, I plan to let my local dealer see what he can do and if this fails then I will contact SB and negotiate a price.

As it stands we have 20 members that have committed provided the price is right, of course.

Will keep everyone posted.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:11 PM
SuperBike

How can I explain

Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I guess I'm just not seeing how skokie could tell the guards that come with the brace aren't good enough. I checked superbrace.com, maxmcdirect, and am still not getting it. Why would they bother selling a part specifically for this if it didn't fit?
that being a practicing engineer for 30 years I can tell from the photo the SB rock guards are too short, as the OEM VTR guards are also too short (read my prior post on how I increased the height of the guards. For me at least, I'd save the extra dosh & make my own taller & wider rock guards that utilize the SB mounting screws. On the other hand I'm still considering the Coerce unit as it appears slimmer in hieght over the tire.

Greg, am I right about the coerce vs the SB?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Superstock

that being a practicing engineer for 30 years I can tell from the photo the SB rock guards are too short, as the OEM VTR guards are also too short (read my prior post on how I increased the height of the guards. For me at least, I'd save the extra dosh & make my own taller & wider rock guards that utilize the SB mounting screws. On the other hand I'm still considering the Coerce unit as it appears slimmer in hieght over the tire.

Well hell, I didn't realize the OEM ones were too short as well. Thanks for the enlightenment though, I'll be the first one to admit I'll never know enough about my own bike.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:56 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
Any updates?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 PM
SuperSport

I should have an answer on pricing tomorrow.

Skokievtr have you put pen to paper with your idea to incorporate a better rock guard utilizing the SB? I for one would be interested in your design.

Last edited by reaper; 09-18-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: addition info.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:41 PM
SuperBike

Same but taller & wider

I should have an answer on pricing tomorrow.

Skokievtr have you put pen to paper with your idea to incorporate a better rock guard utilizing the SB? I for one would be interested in your design.
IF I get the SB brace, I plan on copying their design but making it taller & a bit wider. Mounting would utilize the screw holes (the screws may possibly be provided with the brace but if not surely readily available) already provided in their brace. Use cardboard to make the template & then fab it out of aluminum & paint it black. No biggie.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:18 PM
SuperSport

Ok, I now have pricing for the Super Brace group buy. The breakdown is as follows:

Standard polished brace $119.95 versus $146.95, saving $27.00
Black anodized brace $134.95 versus $171.95, saving $37.00
Fork protector $25.00 no net saving

Free shipping to all customer locations.

For those members who want to order the brace and accessories, please contact Billy or Mark Spence (owner) at 866-583-9600. The company is Motorcycle Factory Inc. which sells Honda's and Kawasaki's. Mark and his people are up standing folks.

I erred when I said I would try to get the price down to $80-$90, but MFI is working off pricing that SB supplied them. The plus side to this is there is no shipping and that puts the stock brace closer to $100 for those West of the Mississippi.

I plan on ordering one with the rock guard.

Good luck!
Old 09-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Superstock

Ok, I now have pricing for the Super Brace group buy. The breakdown is as follows:

Standard polished brace $119.95 versus $146.95, saving $27.00
Black anodized brace $134.95 versus $171.95, saving $37.00
Fork protector $25.00 no net saving

Free shipping to all customer locations.

For those members who want to order the brace and accessories, please contact Billy or Mark Spence (owner) at 866-583-9600. The company is Motorcycle Factory Inc. which sells Honda's and Kawasaki's. Mark and his people are up standing folks.

I erred when I said I would try to get the price down to $80-$90, but MFI is working off pricing that SB supplied them. The plus side to this is there is no shipping and that puts the stock brace closer to $100 for those West of the Mississippi.

I plan on ordering one with the rock guard.

Good luck!

Got mine ordered, freakin outstanding job.

Oh, and on a quick aside, I was only charged $134 even for the blacks, not that 95 cents makes a big difference, but some people can be picky.

Last edited by MarineHawk; 09-19-2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Addendum
Old 09-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Squid

98blackhawk is on a distinguished road
how long do we have to order,price is fine,but if i could wait a week or two,i would be in a better finacial situation,thanks btw
Old 09-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Superstock

Verne
Will be ordering mine tomorrow.

Verne
Old 09-19-2007, 05:11 PM
SuperSport

98blackhawk:

You should be fine.

One thing I failed to mention when you place your orders is to let them know that you are a member of the Superhawk forum.

Thanks,

Patrick
Old 09-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Dunno, I've had neither. Mine is from a different company.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:52 AM
SuperBike

which is yours

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Dunno, I've had neither. Mine is from a different company.
U got yours from the dirt bike guys if I recall? they dont make them anymore ? how has yours held up?
Old 09-20-2007, 06:50 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
just got off the phone... very nice people.

they are being drop shipped from superbrace ( which is in california )
so i should have it in a couple of days

tim
Old 09-20-2007, 01:59 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
I ordered mine today. Black anodized + fork protectors. Sweet deal! Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 02:23 PM
SuperSport

I ordered the standard w/fork protectors.

Peace out!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
1 Black anodized on the way. Reaper, thank you for making this happen.

Doug O.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Superstock

Verne
Ordered mine today also. Got standards with the fork guards.

Thanks for getting this going Reaper.

Verne
Old 09-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Administrator
World Champion

U got yours from the dirt bike guys if I recall? they dont make them anymore ? how has yours held up?
It's been great! No wear or corrosion to speak of. The only thing about the one I have is that it was designed to have a neoprene fork sleeve/protector between the fork and the brace. Without it the brace is not tight. I use 3M double sided molding tape between them and it works perfectly.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:28 PM
SuperSport

......UPDATE.......

I spoke with the folks at MFI and Super Brace is telling them that they only have 1 (one) black anodized brace in stock at the moment and we have two members that have placed orders for them at this time. This is a screw-up on SB's part as they told MFI they had sufficient stock on hand for both types.

Long story short, it will be two weeks before SB replenishes their supply of the anodized brace.

If this is the brace you want, you can place your order for that brace knowing it is backordered or wait a couple of weeks to place the order at the group buy price.

Aside from this, if there is anything else I can do, let me know.

Reaper

Quick Reply: fork brace group buy? who would be intrested?