Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 05:20 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Exhaust

So, Jardine, Devil, Leo Vince, indigo or two brothers? I like the high mounts but I'd like to retain my rear pegs. Then there's the question of jetting. Is it a must when upgrading cans?
Old 12-12-2009, 05:34 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I think Micron still makes cans for our bikes, but the highmounts loose the footpeg. There is probably a workaround with moving the pegs outward like other brands, but I haven't gotten to it.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Squid

easton24 is on a distinguished road
With the high mount leo's you keep the rear foot pegs.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Squid

sschuyten is on a distinguished road
Jardines are the smart money.

I know everyone has an opinion. These opinions are based on a variety of things. So with that............... 1. Jardines are the least expensive. 2. Jardine has been in business for a long time, located in Corona California. 3. I know they warranty her product because, they have for me. 4. They stock replacement parts, see #3. All Jardine Superhawk exhausts can retain the rear front pegs because they sell and supply extension sleeves and replacement hardware to allow for this.
So yeah the round high mounts I have are great. No they do not make them anymore, I bought mine from a forum member who wanted to recoup some money before he parted with his hawk. In addition, he found value in my stock cans.
As far as re-jetting goes, put on the pipes and see. I re-jetted and added a K&N filter, plus I removed all the California emissions crap. More air in, more fuel in, more exhaust out.......more horsepower and a far cooler running Hawk.
I have a great V-Twin mechanic in Riverside, he maybe worth your ride.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:10 AM
SuperSport

Well maybe If I'd have known that two weeks ago! I bought this bike with 1439 miles on it. I rode it 30 miles and broke a valve! Had it pulled apart by a local shop who found a severely damaged piston and nicked head (valve seat). I am dumping $2900 in the bike and I haven't even ridden it full power yet. I wish I knew a mechanic or had the guts to rip that motor apart myself. The split case design makes piston replacement quite expensive! I paid $1500 for the bike so I went from a $1500 hawk that is basically brand new to a $4500 hawk with a new piston and mechined head.
P.S. the mechanic told me this bike has a two peice valve (dissimilar metal) that is fused at the head. He said about one in 10,000 simply breaks off. Great huh?
Old 12-13-2009, 07:22 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ranchomice
Well maybe If I'd have known that two weeks ago! I bought this bike with 1439 miles on it. I rode it 30 miles and broke a valve! Had it pulled apart by a local shop who found a severely damaged piston and nicked head (valve seat). I am dumping $2900 in the bike and I haven't even ridden it full power yet. I wish I knew a mechanic or had the guts to rip that motor apart myself. The split case design makes piston replacement quite expensive! I paid $1500 for the bike so I went from a $1500 hawk that is basically brand new to a $4500 hawk with a new piston and mechined head.
P.S. the mechanic told me this bike has a two peice valve (dissimilar metal) that is fused at the head. He said about one in 10,000 simply breaks off. Great huh?
That isn't what happened (two piece valve breaking) or if it is, you are the only person that it has ever happened to.

Nope, what happened is your CCT (cam chain tensioner) failed. When that fails the valves hit the pistons. A known issue with this bike, and it has happened to MANY people.

You would probably be better off getting a used engine off Ebay as a running SH engine usually only costs ~$400, and install of that would be way way cheaper than repairing your current one.

And whichever route you go, be sure to put manual CCTs in to prevent a repeat. (ape racing makes the best ones)
Old 12-13-2009, 01:14 PM
SuperSport

I looked at it after the mechanic had told me it broke right at the fused spot. I don't know, he's going to check the CCT but I don't know why that would go out at 1400 miles!
Old 12-13-2009, 02:34 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I still can't understand why you'd spend $2900 to rebuild your engine??? The bike's probably not even worth that much. You can buy a good used motor for WELL under $1k. You posted several times about this and several of us gave you ebay links and also bikes being parted on craigslist. As for your engine taking a **** at 1400 miles that has to be a new record-it's almost hard to believe. I know **** randomly breaks, and I'm not saying that's what happened to you, but I've found it funny that no one actually says what it was they were doing when it happened. I'm far from Ben Spies myself but just once I'd like to hear someone admit to a missed shift or botched wheelie at 10k rpm. I guess some folks are just really unlucky-I knew a guy who beat the living **** out of his superhawk stunting it for 50k miles and never had a single problem with it...

Anyway with regards to the exhaust, as always it's really going to come down to your own personal taste. Any of the pipes can be made to work with the passenger pegs, only some kits don't come with the spacers and longer bolts. Even if they don't you could easily piece together what you need to move the pegs out.

Last edited by captainchaos; 12-13-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:22 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
but I've found it funny that no one actually says what it was they were doing when it happened. I'm far from Ben Spies myself but just once I'd like to hear someone admit to a missed shift or botched wheelie at 10k rpm. .
+1 Nothing beats a missed shift standing up on the back wheel and slamming the front end like a bag of cinder blocks!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:35 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
leo vince makes nice stuff.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Note, most all valves used in motorcycles are two piece, the differences are mainly where and how the two pieces (tulip and stem) are attached together.
As others have said, the SH v twin is not known to have the valves come apart, anything is possible but most things are not likely.

The more common deal would be the cams went out of time due to a failed CCT, the valve hit the piston and broke the valve tulip off .

If you have not yet had that motor rebuilt, don’t, it’s a waste of money.. as others have suggested get a good used motor, or a whole bike for the amount of cash your spending to get minor motor repair work done.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
I know the thread started with exhaust option and moved to CCT's...but I remain skeptical about my own CCT's. So apologizing for shifting the subject; my 2000 VTR has only 8,000 miles on it. Engine sounds fine with no rattles or slap. My local Honda Dealer says don't worry, and even if your CCT's were about to fail, you would have lot's of warning....And I don't ride on the redline.....
Now I'm both skeptical and confused...advice please? PS I have checked the engine and belive it has the original CCT's...same grey as the cylinders - definitely not APE....
Thoughts?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:40 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
canadavtr - i have wondered the same thing. mine are stock and i have wondered if i should get the manual ccts.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 PM
SuperSport

So what is a "good" used motor and how in the world do you "know" you got one? I guess I would rather pay twice as much for a motor that I know has the miles on it stated. I am really skeptacle of buying a motor claiming 12 to 25k and not having any idea where it's been and what it's done. If I missed a shift I'd be the first to admit it. The bike had sat for 3 years and it had a valve noise from the moment I fired it. Of course I should have taken it in emmediately but like an idiot I rode it. Half power, noise and all. Hindsight is always 20/20! The part I don't get is that it seems if the CCT failed the bike would jump time and not run. Am I way off with that thought? I havent had a bike in a long long time and I'm new here. I have gotten some great info and I thank y'all. I have already committed to the rebuild. I am however heading much advise and having APE manual CCT's installed. I am leaning much more to the failed CCT theory since being here. Maybe from sitting not from mileage. I almost got a complete hawk in my town for 2k but it sold before I had the chance. I hope my "lucky" streak is about done! Anyway, Thank you guys.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by CANADAVTR
I know the thread started with exhaust option and moved to CCT's...but I remain skeptical about my own CCT's. So apologizing for shifting the subject; my 2000 VTR has only 8,000 miles on it. Engine sounds fine with no rattles or slap. My local Honda Dealer says don't worry, and even if your CCT's were about to fail, you would have lot's of warning....And I don't ride on the redline.....
Now I'm both skeptical and confused...advice please? PS I have checked the engine and belive it has the original CCT's...same grey as the cylinders - definitely not APE....
Thoughts?
While a lot of the guys here will tell you to swap them out right away, I've had pretty good good luck with my stock CCT's. I finally swapped them out for a new set at 60k miles with no issues. I wouldn't recommend running them for that long but at 8k miles you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

The different generations of CCT's can be told apart by the color of the paint dot on the side of the CCT not the color of the unit.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:04 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I'm sure someone has done a poll to show how many of these CCT go for folks on this forum. Honda would never admit this is a problem, but we might get a good idea of failure rate if something like this has been done compared to overall membership numbers. I think anything over, say, 1% warrants changing them.

Other Hondas -- CBRs especially -- have the same issues. I don't get it as other manufacturers have CCT and seem fine.

I can see putting 60k on this bike, 8541Hawk, but gosh. Do you just ride every day or are you an Iron Butt sort of guy?

R.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:16 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Crashrat
I'm sure someone has done a poll to show how many of these CCT go for folks on this forum. Honda would never admit this is a problem, but we might get a good idea of failure rate if something like this has been done compared to overall membership numbers. I think anything over, say, 1% warrants changing them.

Other Hondas -- CBRs especially -- have the same issues. I don't get it as other manufacturers have CCT and seem fine.

I can see putting 60k on this bike, 8541Hawk, but gosh. Do you just ride every day or are you an Iron Butt sort of guy?

R.
Bought it new in 9/97 so I'm closer to 80k now but living in the SF Bay area gives me an almost year round riding season..... and tons of great roads.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:22 PM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
I want to reincarnate in California, but I'm off to Maine next. I suppose I could put the SH on rollers, but that sort of defeats the purpose.

Tell you what, though, I've put more miles on the Honda in the last three months than I did the Buell the year I owned it. Some of that is due to unemployment, but it's nice not to have to replace a gasket on the way out of the driveway, too

R.

PS: I'm temped to ask what type of oil you run, but I don't want to hijack the thread
Old 12-13-2009, 06:34 PM
SuperSport

Please, highjack the thread, it's only confusing me further! I hate secondguessing decisions already made and committed to!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Devil exhaust and you can keep the rear pegs.
http://www.exoticsportbike.com/vtr_10003.htm
Old 12-17-2009, 01:21 PM
MotoGP

! The part I don't get is that it seems if the CCT failed the bike would jump time and not run. Am I way off with that thought?
Yep, when the CCT fails, the valve usually hits the piston right away.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=16191

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=16462

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=18699
Old 12-17-2009, 01:29 PM
MotoGP

Please, highjack the thread, it's only confusing me further! I hate secondguessing decisions already made and committed to!
LoL.. Go highmount exhaust, and if the kit you get doesn't have mounting for the rear pegs, make some yourself from ace hardware. (just 4 longer bolts and some tubing to use as spacers)
Old 12-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

scatterbrained is on a distinguished road
In general a failing cam chain tensioner will make some amount of noise for a while before it goes all engine armageddon. Generally speaking. On the original topic, I can't remember if it was Devil or another brand, but I do recall one of the exhaust companies (I'm almost sure it was devil) being real shady lately, taking money and not filling orders, etc. I would look for an American based company that has been around for a while. With the economy what it is you don't want to pay your money only to find out months later that you won't be getting an exhaust system.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scatterbrained
On the original topic, I can't remember if it was Devil or another brand, but I do recall one of the exhaust companies (I'm almost sure it was devil) being real shady lately, taking money and not filling orders, etc. I would look for an American based company that has been around for a while. With the economy what it is you don't want to pay your money only to find out months later that you won't be getting an exhaust system.
That was the France based Devil. I'm not sure if Devil was bought by an American company, but Devil is now located in sourthern California.
http://www.devil-exhaust.com/
Old 12-18-2009, 08:51 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by scatterbrained
In general a failing cam chain tensioner will make some amount of noise for a while before it goes all engine armageddon.
In general perhaps, but on our bikes.. not usually enough to give you time to stop.

Some people have been lucky and properly differentiated between the general engine noise and CCT failure, but most had no warning till seconds before it happened.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Squid

Highend Cans is on a distinguished road
Hi all,, just to throw my bit into the fire,,, changed my cct's out as soon as i bought the bike,, which had 22,000 on the clock, got rid of the stock and replaced with manual,, piece of mind restored,, n yes if the cct goes,, a whole re-build is on the cards,,,, as for the high mounts,,, have installed 2 scorpion blue flamed double port on each can,, lost the rear pegs,,, but hey,, no one to dig u in the ribs when you want to give the bike a blast,,,, its all down to pure personal choice,,, enjoy.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:21 AM
SuperSport

My bike kept running when my valve broke! I was doin like 65 and it didn't shut down until I shut it down.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Speedbump
Squid

Norcalblake is on a distinguished road
Did Two Brothers stop making our high mount... i cant find them anywhere