Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Left exhaust is hotter than right exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Squid

Anwar is on a distinguished road
Left exhaust is hotter than right exhaust

Got a 98 with 2 yoshi RS-7, maybe RS-5 but probly rs-7. its been dumped on the left side too, the pipe steming from the center leading to the pipe is crushed. I can text pictures but thats the best I can do. The guy who did it must've sealed it up because theres like welding marks over where it would be open and is sealed pretty good. Some hot air comes out around the weld though, theres small cracks from the material used to seal the pipe. And so the left pipe has a dark ring on the outside, and the right looks silver. any ideas?
Old 06-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Squid

should add that their RS-3's
Old 06-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Squid

Question left exhaust hotter than right

the left side was dumped and badly scraped. RS-3 exaust. the bottom of the pipe where it comes out to side is half smushed, sealed up to reapair for air leaks. but leaks out in a couple different spots. and when i start it up the air out of the left is hotter than the right. i havent remebered to check if it does that after riding a while, but it does do it when its readily idling to ride. should i replace the exhaust? or the pipe just below it thats crushed, both?
Old 06-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Superstock

doomcookie is on a distinguished road
I think its normal, I'm no expert but my left pipe is always hotter at start up.. even with me taking out the restriction on the right side.. I think its normal
Old 06-05-2010, 11:30 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
The superhawk has a strange exhaust design that seems to flow better on one side. I think that's all you're experiencing. If it's different at the header (leaving the head) that would indicate a problem.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:03 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
It's not only strange, it's downright complicated engineering and hours on a dyno. The best header in the business is the stock header.

On any header one side always (at idle) heats up quicker and seems to flow more air. This is hard to check at a hundred miles per hour. Most of the aftermarket stuff that was available in the heyday of the Superhawk were fancy bends and welds and zip for tuning. The ones that cost around a thousand bucks were at least as good as the stock header - very few were better.

Make sure you check the exhaust bushings at the heads (easy access) the the joint under the swing arm - even easier.

Crashed exhaust is trashed exhaust.

In my book, but that's not completely true. Hawkrider had a post where he put water in the tube and then put it in the freezer wrapped it in a towel ??? It's back there but it might be worth a read if you're on a budget.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Squid

thanks alot
Old 06-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I merged the threads
Old 06-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
It's not only strange, it's downright complicated engineering and hours on a dyno. The best header in the business is the stock header.

THANX A LOT!!! I just sprayed my monitor with a big gulp of Dr. Pepper!

Rex