Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Do i have High Compression pistons ?

Old 03-03-2014, 10:51 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
Do i have High Compression pistons ?

I am wondering about this,
a friend of mine also has a Superhawk and ive noticed some differences in the 2 bikes :
mine needs alot more amps to crank it over and when its quite cold the battery is really struggeling even with a full charge.

my bike runs a bit hotter (not to hot) on the same hot days

and with similar set up.... both slip ons and mine isnt even fully dialed in yet it still needs a carb synch and proper dyno run and fine tuning but i am not much faster but through the rev range mine pulls better and harder

my carb set up is stock main jets and 50 pilot and my friend has the same only 48 pilot's

and because it bought my bike through a middleman i don't know the history of my bike, but most of my bike mods where already done by this guy so thats why i am wondering about the pistons,
so i am gonna do a compression test but i am in europe and don't know wat type of displacement the US use with those tester but my question is
what compression is stock and what would it be for HC pistons
then i can convert it somewhere i am sure
Old 03-03-2014, 12:00 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
IIRC stock is 9.4:1 and high comp is usually somewhere around 11.3:1 up to 12.4:1
Old 03-03-2014, 03:09 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
I think your battery is just not strong enough at this point, if you swap batteries with your friend you will see that the problem swapped between the bikes as well, if the battery is getting old, it may show that it is full, but will not give you the output power you need.

geluk mijn vriend ;-)
Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
yea i agree, i doubt its high comp pistons. usually thats one of the later mods on these bikes after people have thrown lots of money into things like fork swaps. swinger braces, lightned flywheels, etc. only later do people usually put in high comp pistons. USUALLY. i will say im not educated that much on the sunject of high compression pistons so i cant speak to the technical side of things or what the character of the bike would be like compared to stock pistons. im just saying thats usually one of the last mods
Old 04-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Do the compression test, throttles open. Stock reading is 165psi. If it's near 200psi then you may have the much hearalded high comps. 3d gear wrist wheelies should be a snap.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:01 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jscobey
usually thats one of the later mods on these bikes after people have thrown lots of money into things like fork swaps. swinger braces, lightned flywheels, etc. only later do people usually put in high comp pistons. USUALLY.
Usually, but not always... My first VTR was bone stock visually and suspension, but the PO had installed Moriwaki Pistons/Cams/Full Ti exhaust... total sleeper.

Originally Posted by zxbud
Do the compression test, throttles open. Stock reading is 165psi. If it's near 200psi then you may have the much hearalded high comps. 3d gear wrist wheelies should be a snap.
3rd gear power wheelies needed the right undulation/hill in the road... Second gear no problem off/on the throttle would bring it up.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:38 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zxbud
Still havent done a compression test been really busy but i might not have HC pistons, I still have a standard R/R wich I KNOW that they are bad... have been putting it off for a while... with a MOSFET R/R its gonna start a whole lot better i hope