Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

JE High Compression Pistons / Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Squid

DameDiggler
JE High Compression Pistons / Jet Kit

I have recently installed some JE High Compression pistons and definately need to rejet. Does anyone have good info on what jet kit and possible starting point? Exhaust is still stock but debaffled and probably will remain that way for a while till I can scrounge up some cash for the Jardine High mounts. K and N filter installed but i cannot decide if I should go with the Factory or Dyno jet kit. Any suggestions would be helpful but preferrably based on experience if possible. Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-19-2005, 02:57 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong
Re: JE High Compression Pistons / Jet Kit

I'd say 180's front and rear w/ .030 shims under the needles and the air mixture screws out 2 1/2 turns would be a start depending on the altitude where you live until you can get a jet kit and pipes .

Just remember a severely rich set-up will tend to detonate as much as a lean mixture will .

After messing with my engine I'd say the choice between the Factory and Dyno Jet kit depends on how the engine is modified .

Pistons , cams and head work and non stock air filter I'd choose the Dyno Jet .. FWIW
Old 03-22-2005, 07:16 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
I like the Factory stuff myself but "6 of one..."

You're into what's commonly referred to as a Stage II kit, engine-wise the K&N may do you some good. I don't really know how the modified stock exhaust will play out. And you'll need some EGR-equipped dyno time to really answer your question. Look for one with an old guy attached to it so you get some actual carb experience. ;-)

But it would be a shame to waste this cool and substantial mod on budget tuning.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:26 AM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by jschmidt";p=&quot
I like the Factory stuff myself but "6 of one..."
you'll need some EGR-equipped dyno time to really answer your question.
+1

the dynojet and factory kits are meant for stock bikes with pipes, and that is about it.

your best bet is to take it to a dyno shop and have it tuned properly.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:54 AM
Squid

DameDiggler

Well I was hoping to do it myself , like the rest of my mods but it sounds like it would be best to take it to a shop and have it dyno and jetted. If that's the case, I will definately wait till I can come up on some exhaust. Anyone got some cheap highmounts for sale.....
Thanks Everyone
DameDiggler
Old 03-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

If I read your mods correctly " pistons and a KN " it's the KN that hurting you w/o a jet kit .

If you have the stock filter still just slip it back in and try .030 more shim and step up the mains one or two steps. It will run good till you get a jet kit and exhaust .

Pistons alone won't change jetting that much . It's wild cams " stage II Moriwaki and larger " along with free breathing airfilters that makes for different specs over stock with slip-on's.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Squid

DameDiggler

Man I love msg boards. Thanks everyone for all the feedback. My friend who I got the bike from changed the stock jetting a little. From what he says he went up to 180(from stock 178) and then took that 178 and replaced the 175. No other changes other than the needles being shimmed a little but not exactly sure how much(if memory serves, I think 2 or 3 washers). While riding the other day, I noticed in top gear at about 60mph(rear sprocket is 43) or so if I just whacked open the throttle to W/O, the engine totally bogged down. Also, on the freeway in top gear at about 6K if I whack it, W/O, kind of mushy pull until 7k and then revs pick up really fast up to 9k, yet pull does not increase with revs....hmmmm kind of like... when a clutch is slipping but not that. Motor screams but power does not increase....hmmmmmm. Hopefully someone can make since of all this jibber jabber. Until next time,...keep the rubber side down!!! DameDiggler Out!!
Old 03-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Squid

DameDiggler

I did the whack in 4th at 4k test and it pulls linearly, but not strung at all....this weekend, I think I'll get that astock airfilter and try and sort things out. I just can't figure if too rich or too lean yet but will prob have to resort to the spark plug test or take shims out ..... but will keep you all informed- thanks for all the info everyone and keep it coming if you think of anything else to try.
DameDiggler
Old 03-25-2005, 04:49 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong

Yeah it sounds like your at the point where it would take a main jet change to know is fat or lean but since you know how it pulls up top merely changing to a stock airfilter will tell you .

If it runs better it's lean , worse it's too fat on the mains .

Do same day testing though .

If you are going to have to buy a filter to try this I'd suggest just buying a jet kit instead . They will run good with a DynoJet kit and KN filter .

BTW , you can buy stouter clutch springs from Barnett for cheap cost .
Old 03-25-2005, 10:41 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Generally, too rich will sound and feel like a low aplitude rumble, too lean will feel like a hesitation and recovery. But these clues are subtle.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

If it helps. My shawk (bone stock at the time) ran fine with one spacer in it.

With 2 spacers in it: I ran too rich. Rich enough that I would have fowled out spark plugs on the expressway.

My altitude, I live at sea level with the ocean 10 min away.