Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

High Compression

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Squid

98greenchicken is on a distinguished road
High Compression

In your guys opinion is it really worth the money and effort to go High-Comp. I would like to but I don't think the 20 hp would justify a total rebuild. Let me know what you think. I am new to hawks so I know little about the process but can handle the build.
Old 09-20-2007, 11:21 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Hi comp? in isolation, no, I don't think many would say it was worth it. If you can go the full engine mod route (hc, cams, porting, exhaust) then maybe. Depends on what you want to get out of it. My bike is a very different performing bike than when it was stock, without a doubt. But mostly, I enjoy the bike, I like working on it, like learning and tweaking, so its been a positive project in that way. The gains are real, but in the 15% range. Only you can decide if that is worth it or just simpler to buy a different bike. I think most of us do it because we're obsessed, or like working on them but really fundamentally have a strong attachment to the bike so its worth it. Otherwise save the money and buy a 1000RR

bill
Old 09-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Squid

I love my bike and will forever be with it. I just had some mod money around and was looking into it. I think for now it has great power but more is better, right? Thanks for the advice, I guess when I blow it up I will have to look in that direction. Any idea what the average price on that kit is?
Old 09-20-2007, 02:08 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 98greenchicken
I love my bike and will forever be with it. I just had some mod money around and was looking into it. I think for now it has great power but more is better, right? Thanks for the advice, I guess when I blow it up I will have to look in that direction. Any idea what the average price on that kit is?

LOL...........HE SAID KIT!..............good luck!

havent seen any kits,you have to do your homework.
buy pistons here and buy cams there.
hell i dont know if you can even find decent replacement valves
for when you really want to get into it.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Squid

I have found a company that sell a package deal. Everything but the valves. It includes a set of cams, piston kit, and springs. I am just having trouble getting a price on the package.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:59 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

can you share info?
who is your source interested myself in boosting hawks power.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:53 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
retail prices - somewhere around 600+ for the pistons, same for cams; full exhausts if you can find them are outrageously expensive (1000-1500!). A/B Gasket/bearing kits are around 400 total which you'd want so you can rebuild the thing to new spec when doing it. Like was said, if you take your time and look around you can find some items substantially cheaper. I agree, more power is better and its only money right? There is no way its justifiable, but that isn't what its about really. Of course in terms of bang for your buck, there is no comparison with a great rear shock and swapping out the front end - by comparisons those are really cost effective mods

bill
Old 09-21-2007, 04:09 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

Originally Posted by cliby
retail prices - somewhere around 600+ for the pistons, same for cams; full exhausts if you can find them are outrageously expensive (1000-1500!). A/B Gasket/bearing kits are around 400 total which you'd want so you can rebuild the thing to new spec when doing it. Like was said, if you take your time and look around you can find some items substantially cheaper. I agree, more power is better and its only money right? There is no way its justifiable, but that isn't what its about really. Of course in terms of bang for your buck, there is no comparison with a great rear shock and swapping out the front end - by comparisons those are really cost effective mods

bill
justifiable?......hell your talking to someone who
stuck a yz250 in a ysr50. nothing like over powering
a chassis.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Squid

I have found the site that offers all the stuff you should need to do it. The link is
http://www.hpower.com.au/bike.html
Has any one heard anything about this guy?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:40 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hawxter996
...nothing like over powering
a chassis.
Hell yes

But' DON'T PORT THE HEADS !!!
Unless you can increase RPM redline and stick a cam in it. I would go big bore for the SH, but not much meat to grind.
If you call a valve guide and casting flash clean up a porting job, well yes go ahead, don't smooth the surfaces of the intakes, it's needed for fuel atomisation. Porting don't make bikes faster, it's a way to tune the engine, it's exactly the same thing as jetting, bigger jets don't make your bike faster, increasing port size is to match the new powerband to keep the air at optimal velocity. An engine is a chain and will be as strong as the weakest link, in this case displacement capacity.
One thing I thought of is to get Ti rods, lighter piston and a crank balancing, should gain some RPM but these are V-twin, big bore are **** for high RPM.
Want performance, ditch the stock exhaust and get single CF can, that's a performance mod. Replacing those CV carbs would be one of the best mod that can be done to the VTR, they are really cheap *** junk, the slides takes too much time to open, for those that the throttle could be replaced by an on/off switch, they are worthless.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:57 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 98greenchicken
I have found the site that offers all the stuff you should need to do it. The link is
http://www.hpower.com.au/bike.html
Has any one heard anything about this guy?
might want to give him a call.
i have seen that site before and dont think
he is still around.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:01 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

Originally Posted by gboezio
Hell yes

But' DON'T PORT THE HEADS !!!
Unless you can increase RPM redline and stick a cam in it. I would go big bore for the SH, but not much meat to grind.
If you call a valve guide and casting flash clean up a porting job, well yes go ahead, don't smooth the surfaces of the intakes, it's needed for fuel atomisation. Porting don't make bikes faster, it's a way to tune the engine, it's exactly the same thing as jetting, bigger jets don't make your bike faster, increasing port size is to match the new powerband to keep the air at optimal velocity. An engine is a chain and will be as strong as the weakest link, in this case displacement capacity.
One thing I thought of is to get Ti rods, lighter piston and a crank balancing, should gain some RPM but these are V-twin, big bore are **** for high RPM.
Want performance, ditch the stock exhaust and get single CF can, that's a performance mod. Replacing those CV carbs would be one of the best mod that can be done to the VTR, they are really cheap *** junk, the slides takes too much time to open, for those that the throttle could be replaced by an on/off switch, they are worthless.

actually the superhawk is so far out of the aftermarket loop it ridiculous.
im not gonna bother doing anything other than chassis mods.
so little extra power to be had anyway.
better to lose weight off the bike and myself.

anybody have the number to jenny craig?
Old 09-21-2007, 09:19 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Originally Posted by hawxter996
...superhawk is so far out of the aftermarket loop it ridiculous.
...better to lose weight off the bike...
Amen
Old 09-21-2007, 11:44 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
As far as porting and polishing is concerned, think golf *****. Yeah yeah, i know what your saying--- But the ports will be plugged if I insert golf *****. I mean the surface of the metal in the ports, no smooth and shiny surfaces, turbulence is gooooood.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Reb
Squid

Reb is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Hi Comp & head porting.

Hey everyboby from down under in Oz. I'm thinking of going hi-comp pistons. Already got a Yoshi cam set on the way. Roger from Revolution Racing in the UK says you should expect 123-125hp from ST-1 cams and hi-comp pistons with gas flowed head and a full race exhaust. He advises replacing bottom end bearings and cam chains and tensioners at the same time. Has anybody had experience with Motoman porting techniques. His inlet porting seems to be the way to go.

Cheers, Reb

2001 Yellow; KTec sport/track front springs with uprgade shim stack; 16mm radial mount front master cylinder; Goodrige s/s lines EBC HH pads; Dynojet st1 kit; K&N filter; Jardine hi-mount RT1 pipes; 16/43 gearing.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:26 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Well for a SH that would be the way to go, raising the port floor would definitely helps since the port are already too large, motoman is one of the few that have understood the importance of maintaining optimal velocity (around 375 ft/sec) over that it chokes under that it's too slow.