Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

some new goodies

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:51 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
some new goodies

High compression JE 11.5:1 pistons.

Name:  image-72.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  111.7 KB

Rear CBR900RR wheel, front SP1 wheel, both for street use, current VTR rear and SP2 front will be for the track.

Name:  image-73.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  148.4 KB

whats all the OEM parts that i am going to need to install these? i figure its cheaper for me to buy them than to have the mechanic buy them because they always up charge for things.

the pistons came with the pins and the lock rings for the pins. i know i need the piston rings but do i need new con-rods or anything else?

if you could list the numbers from bikebandits parts fiche and how many of each number i will need id appreciate it!
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Youll need new head gaskets, RTV for the oil pan... i would think about new con rod bearings, but new con rods arent necessary...

Oh and oil and a filter and maybe some brake parts cleaner to wipe down the gasket surfaces...
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
As for the wheels im not sure...
Old 04-08-2014, 08:58 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by scottiemann
As for the wheels im not sure...
the wheels are a direct swap swince i have RC51 forks and wheel already, and the 900RR rear wheel uses the same rotor and sprocket carrier and goes right into the VTR swinger.

thanks for the input on the pistons.ill deffinatley do new con rod bearings. the con rods are freaking expensive to get new tho. yet it seems pointless to not replace them while the engine is open. whats the service life on those? it would be about another $300 for new OEM rods. if re using mine is a bad idea then i wwont. if they arnt neccasary to replace then i will re use them.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:14 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Damn Scobey, you are going all in!!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 AM
SuperSport

Well wolverine, when I bought the bike I knew id do a thing or two to improve it but I didn't realize just how much the hawk isn't a super sport type bike. So I've had money laying around in my "buy another bike" fund. I wanted something more suited for the track and high performance riding and was thinking of buying a CBR or something. But I fell in love with the hawk and especially the engine. So I decided to take that money and upgrade the **** outa the vtr and make it one of the meanest bikes that people can't even identify because they don't know what a hawk is. The more I do to it the better it becomes. It really has responded well to the mods I've done. It has become very hard to stop tho. I almost bought a set of stage 1 moriwaki cams for $1500. I have to raw the line somewhere.....
Old 04-08-2014, 11:19 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
And I'm looking at going the opposite direction and trading my hawk in on an ST1100 (I don't like the look of the new 1300's) of course I'm also thinking about swapping my race bike (YZF600R) in on a RC51.. but thats a much more expensive swap that will need to wait :lol
Old 04-08-2014, 11:23 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
I know the Feeling Jscobey
only i am not modding my hawk but my GSXR 750 and i also have some goodies :
Yoshi stage 1 ama spec cams
Yoshi HD valve springs
Titanium Con rods unknown brand not for sale anymore
JC lower compression pistons (going turbo)
i am going for a full engine rebuild with ceramic transbearings, new crankbearings etc etc.

so if you ask me i would go con rod and the whole shabang but its just how far you wanna take it with me the Con rods and cams where 2nd hand and together they where 450 dollars so a steal, but if you see all the little parts you need for everything & special tools for a rebuild.

Last edited by RoadManiac; 04-08-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:27 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
If you ever decide to sell that SP1 front wheel, put me first in line. They are a real bugger to find. I missed one that one of our members was selling a few months back and I've been kicking myself in the *** for that.

Like you, I'm installing 11.5 pistons. I'm going to build up my spare engine, then when the engine build is finished, just swap engines and I'm back on the road with little down time. Good luck with the engine work.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:31 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by insulinboy
And I'm looking at going the opposite direction and trading my hawk in on an ST1100 (I don't like the look of the new 1300's) of course I'm also thinking about swapping my race bike (YZF600R) in on a RC51.. but thats a much more expensive swap that will need to wait :lol
We'll I also considered buying an RC as I've always been a honda guy and it's a homologation Big Twin BUT I know that the RC takes ALOT to get it to really be a good track bike and parts are so damn expensive. I already owned the hawk and I know I wouldn't leave the RC stock so I figured save myself 5 grand and mod what I have. I also contemplated a Duc 916, 996, etc but classic duc parts cost even more than RC parts. The best bet was to mod the hawk which i was already so fond of. It's worked out well and I don't intend to sell the vtr. Ever. I would never get back what I put into it and it's a way better bike than it's monetary value.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
If you ever decide to sell that SP1 front wheel, put me first in line. They are a real bugger to find. I missed one that one of our members was selling a few months back and I've been kicking myself in the *** for that.

Like you, I'm installing 11.5 pistons. I'm going to build up my spare engine, then when the engine build is finished, just swap engines and I'm back on the road with little down time. Good luck w.
Sorry. I looked to long and hard to get the SP1 wheel. I bought it with hours of it being posted to ebay. I'm tired of paying tire mounting feed before and after each track day to swap my track and my street tires back and forth. It's well wrote the money to have 2 sets of wheels.

Im prolly just gonna pay someone to install the pistons because I would spend almost as much buying the tools needed to do the swap, plus I lack the expirience on internals so I might royaly screw it up. Good luck with your piston install. Go on the RC51 forums. I found a few people selling front wheels but they are pricey. I can give u their screen names if u like
Old 04-09-2014, 04:50 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised the pistons didn't come with rings, I thought that was standard...

I'm curious what is the width of the CBR900 rear wheel? I run a CBR600 F3 on my FZR race bike, but would be interested if the 900 wheel is wider.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
I'm surprised the pistons didn't come with rings, I thought that was standard...

I'm curious what is the width of the CBR900 rear wheel? I run a CBR600 F3 on my FZR race bike, but would be interested if the 900 wheel is wider.
5.5"