Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

High Compression Pistons?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker

superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
High Compression Pistons?

I recently did a high-compression kit for a guy on his DRZ. Damn, what a difference! Being that it's winter over here in VA, I'm looking for a winter project on my chicken and was wondering if someone had done, or heard of high compression pistons for the Hawk. I've got over 45K on my '03, so I was planning on replacing rings this winter anyway, so while I'm in there I might as well do something cool. Any suggestions?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Check eBay, you can get a set of stock bore 11.6:1 JEs for about $240.....
Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superchickencornermonster View Post
I recently did a high-compression kit for a guy on his DRZ. Damn, what a difference! Being that it's winter over here in VA, I'm looking for a winter project on my chicken and was wondering if someone had done, or heard of high compression pistons for the Hawk. I've got over 45K on my '03, so I was planning on replacing rings this winter anyway, so while I'm in there I might as well do something cool. Any suggestions?

Does your Hawk use oil? If it doesn't I would suggest leaving it alone.
JE makes high compression pistons for the Super Hawk. There may be some others. Without stage one cams and a host of other modifications, just doing the pistons is probably not worth the expense and effort involved.
Shortening the gearing is much cheaper, easier and makes more noticeable difference, and you don't lose "streetability" and the ability to run on regular gas.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:46 AM
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker

superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280 View Post
Does your Hawk use oil? If it doesn't I would suggest leaving it alone.
JE makes high compression pistons for the Super Hawk. There may be some others. Without stage one cams and a host of other modifications, just doing the pistons is probably not worth the expense and effort involved.
Shortening the gearing is much cheaper, easier and makes more noticeable difference, and you don't lose "streetability" and the ability to run on regular gas.
No, I don't burn any oil. She runs very strong and I've had no issues with her at all, so yeah getting in to it may be unnecessary, but that's just the kind of guy that I am. I'm a pretty accomplished mechanic and I own a bike shop over here, so replacing the rings and re-honing is not that big of a deal for me. However, I was not looking in to doing a hundred things to her. Sounds like I'll probably just change the gearing.

Here's another question for you, though. I've put 45,000 on the stock sprockets. What kind of mileage can I expect to get out of some aftermarket sprockets?

Last edited by superchickencornermonster; 12-11-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superchickencornermonster View Post
No, I don't burn any oil. She runs very strong and I've had no issues with her at all, so yeah getting in to it may be unnecessary, but that's just the kind of guy that I am. I'm a pretty accomplished mechanic and I own a bike shop over here, so replacing the rings and re-honing is not that big of a deal for me. However, I was not looking in to doing a hundred things to her. Sounds like I'll probably just change the gearing.

Here's another question for you, though. I've put 45,000 on the stock sprockets. What kind of mileage can I expect to get out of some aftermarket sprockets?
Good quality steel sprockets give you the same as OEM... Alu sprockets last two, possibly three blocks or so... Or about 2 seasons if you pay ridicule amounts for them... My advice, choose either steel or some of the sandwich/combo types with steel/titanium teeth and a lighter center... There are sevearl good alternatives... None of them cheap...
Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Since cans of lubricant are less expensive than sprockets and chains I get 25,000+ out of a set.

I've used half a can of WD-40 and a brush to clean the chain/sprocket set and then when it dried, lubed it up with Teflon. Teflon is good because road grit doesn't adhere to it the way Chain Wax or 'no-sling' treatments hold dirt.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Squid

Pinacruman is on a distinguished road
Hi i have some used JE std bore high compression pistons only 4000K used.
I will have probrably new overbore (98,5mm) JE pistons too for sale. The used ones for about 200 dollars and the overbore for about 400 dollars.

Greetings
Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Back Marker

Rama is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Pinacruman View Post
Hi i have some used JE std bore high compression pistons only 4000K used.
I will have probrably new overbore (98,5mm) JE pistons too for sale. The used ones for about 200 dollars and the overbore for about 400 dollars.

Greetings
Hi, i can be interested about your used pistons.
I'm in Italy, so the shipping was easy. But on Ebay a pair of JE std bore h.c. cost 220...
If you think that you can make a cheapest price, i'm interested...