Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

High Compression Pistons?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 AM
  #1  
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker
Thread Starter
 
superchickencornermonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 161
superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
High Compression Pistons?

I recently did a high-compression kit for a guy on his DRZ. Damn, what a difference! Being that it's winter over here in VA, I'm looking for a winter project on my chicken and was wondering if someone had done, or heard of high compression pistons for the Hawk. I've got over 45K on my '03, so I was planning on replacing rings this winter anyway, so while I'm in there I might as well do something cool. Any suggestions?
superchickencornermonster is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
MotoGP
 
mikstr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,561
mikstr is on a distinguished road
Check eBay, you can get a set of stock bore 11.6:1 JEs for about $240.....
mikstr is offline  
Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
SuperBike
 
killer5280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,728
killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superchickencornermonster View Post
I recently did a high-compression kit for a guy on his DRZ. Damn, what a difference! Being that it's winter over here in VA, I'm looking for a winter project on my chicken and was wondering if someone had done, or heard of high compression pistons for the Hawk. I've got over 45K on my '03, so I was planning on replacing rings this winter anyway, so while I'm in there I might as well do something cool. Any suggestions?

Does your Hawk use oil? If it doesn't I would suggest leaving it alone.
JE makes high compression pistons for the Super Hawk. There may be some others. Without stage one cams and a host of other modifications, just doing the pistons is probably not worth the expense and effort involved.
Shortening the gearing is much cheaper, easier and makes more noticeable difference, and you don't lose "streetability" and the ability to run on regular gas.
killer5280 is offline  
Old 12-11-2010, 07:46 AM
  #4  
Brooks' Cycle Centre'
Back Marker
Thread Starter
 
superchickencornermonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Centreville, VA
Posts: 161
superchickencornermonster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280 View Post
Does your Hawk use oil? If it doesn't I would suggest leaving it alone.
JE makes high compression pistons for the Super Hawk. There may be some others. Without stage one cams and a host of other modifications, just doing the pistons is probably not worth the expense and effort involved.
Shortening the gearing is much cheaper, easier and makes more noticeable difference, and you don't lose "streetability" and the ability to run on regular gas.
No, I don't burn any oil. She runs very strong and I've had no issues with her at all, so yeah getting in to it may be unnecessary, but that's just the kind of guy that I am. I'm a pretty accomplished mechanic and I own a bike shop over here, so replacing the rings and re-honing is not that big of a deal for me. However, I was not looking in to doing a hundred things to her. Sounds like I'll probably just change the gearing.

Here's another question for you, though. I've put 45,000 on the stock sprockets. What kind of mileage can I expect to get out of some aftermarket sprockets?

Last edited by superchickencornermonster; 12-11-2010 at 07:59 AM.
superchickencornermonster is offline  
Old 12-11-2010, 08:16 AM
  #5  
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP
 
Tweety's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Skurup, Sweden
Posts: 6,109
Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superchickencornermonster View Post
No, I don't burn any oil. She runs very strong and I've had no issues with her at all, so yeah getting in to it may be unnecessary, but that's just the kind of guy that I am. I'm a pretty accomplished mechanic and I own a bike shop over here, so replacing the rings and re-honing is not that big of a deal for me. However, I was not looking in to doing a hundred things to her. Sounds like I'll probably just change the gearing.

Here's another question for you, though. I've put 45,000 on the stock sprockets. What kind of mileage can I expect to get out of some aftermarket sprockets?
Good quality steel sprockets give you the same as OEM... Alu sprockets last two, possibly three blocks or so... Or about 2 seasons if you pay ridicule amounts for them... My advice, choose either steel or some of the sandwich/combo types with steel/titanium teeth and a lighter center... There are sevearl good alternatives... None of them cheap...
Tweety is offline  
Old 12-12-2010, 02:31 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
SuperSport
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 530
PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Since cans of lubricant are less expensive than sprockets and chains I get 25,000+ out of a set.

I've used half a can of WD-40 and a brush to clean the chain/sprocket set and then when it dried, lubed it up with Teflon. Teflon is good because road grit doesn't adhere to it the way Chain Wax or 'no-sling' treatments hold dirt.
PUSHrod is offline  
Old 02-25-2011, 10:25 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
Squid
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The netherlands
Posts: 7
Pinacruman is on a distinguished road
Hi i have some used JE std bore high compression pistons only 4000K used.
I will have probrably new overbore (98,5mm) JE pistons too for sale. The used ones for about 200 dollars and the overbore for about 400 dollars.

Greetings
Pinacruman is offline  
Old 03-29-2011, 12:07 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Back Marker
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: ITALY
Posts: 125
Rama is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Pinacruman View Post
Hi i have some used JE std bore high compression pistons only 4000K used.
I will have probrably new overbore (98,5mm) JE pistons too for sale. The used ones for about 200 dollars and the overbore for about 400 dollars.

Greetings
Hi, i can be interested about your used pistons.
I'm in Italy, so the shipping was easy. But on Ebay a pair of JE std bore h.c. cost 220...
If you think that you can make a cheapest price, i'm interested...
Rama is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jscobey
Modifications - Performance
16
07-11-2014 04:30 PM
RoadManiac
Modifications - Performance
6
04-08-2014 03:38 AM
barncat
Technical Discussion
17
08-20-2012 07:46 AM
98greenchicken
Technical Discussion
15
09-21-2007 07:26 PM
DameDiggler
Modifications - Performance
12
03-25-2005 01:37 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Compression Pistons?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.