Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

any consensus re 2 into 1 exhaust setups?

Old 12-22-2012, 06:16 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
The closest thing to a "single sided" exhaust made for this bike would be the old Indigo system which used two (2) mufflers on one side.
I don't have any details about this local hawk but wanted to show the pics (and subscribe to the thread...).

Name:  DSC02986.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  92.3 KB
Name:  DSC02985.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  75.2 KB
Name:  DSC02984.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  114.9 KB
Name:  DSC02980.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  112.1 KB

My .02 on this system would be that it is not 2-1 in any way. These pipes clamped on just like any other dual system, it just has both cans on the same side.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:30 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
A company called Yamamoto made (and still does) a 2-1 full system. I have searchedhigh and low to find info about anyone running this system, but to no avail (might help if I read Japanese, however).

Here is the link:
YAMAMOTO : SpecificationsA Full exhaust muffler [11003-61TTB]

and the pic:
Old 12-22-2012, 07:16 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
A company called Yamamoto made (and still does) a 2-1 full system. I have searchedhigh and low to find info about anyone running this system, but to no avail (might help if I read Japanese, however).

Here is the link:
YAMAMOTO : SpecificationsA Full exhaust muffler [11003-61TTB]

and the pic:
This one looks interesting, never seen those Yamamoto. The indigo system looks a little too busy on one side for my taste, it's better of with regular 2 into 1 into 2
Old 12-22-2012, 07:29 AM
MotoGP

I would really like to see a dyno result from said Yamamoto 2-1 system. It is made from titanium and is incredibly light (think they quote 3.8 kg, or 8.4 lb). My results with a home-made 2-1 left me a bit cold due to the dip in the midrange but many V-twins get good results with 2-1 systems (SV1000s, for example).

Sadly, based on what I have been able to find, I suspect few, if any, were sold outside of Japan so getting feedback is almost impossible (for me anyhow)....
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 AM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

lloydievtr is on a distinguished road
good find mikstar .
it looks like a bigger bore pipe and it joins later up the rear .
it would be nice to see some pic of it off the bike
Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Wow! A new find! Very nice.

Somehow, I must have Japanese language support on my machine. It translated it (somewhat) for me:

by Translated Reviews

As for the comment with which it equipped, a race ish sound does not just accumulate.
From the first, since it is the muffler manufactured for the circuit run, it compares with the muffler corresponding to an ordinary automobile inspection, or it becomes and sound volume is large.

Weight is also quite lighter-weight than the product of the other company at full titanium. An exhaust pipe is also thick and it is the touch whose feeling of torque increased. Torque does not have a touch which became thin by low rotation, either.
Therefore, especially in the direction by which a circuit run is carried out, it is a recommend (^^) It is the muffler manufactured for circuit runs to the last, and since it is not for everybody, it is considered as four star.

Although it is a moderate exhaust sound, if it turns, it will change even to racy touch! Appearance is also a price zone which he is smart at full exhaust, and a price is also comparatively cheap compared with the other company, and is easy to buy it.
although it stood, and it fails to get off the ground, it came out and the wound has been attached, I would like to have ridden carefully from now on

Sound is somewhat louder than expected and is effective. [ of low-pitched sound ]
If an axel is opened, it can carry out skilled [ of the V-Twin sound ].

Finishing is also well pleasing. The elongation of high rotation is also good.

Since the muffler of the main machine was also yamamoto racing, the submachine was also made into yamamoto racing.

* The accuracy of attachment each parts was good and attachment was completed in the smooth.

* Compared with the after-attachment pure muffler, that it can blow going up became good, and riding became pleasant. Or [ that it is also a weight saving since it is lighter than a back pure muffler ].

Since sound volume is an object for races to the last, it is a little quite large.
I think that it is baffle Mandatory to use it all over a town.

Appearance became a very smart result with silver!! It was fairly important although it was simple places, such as existence of a baffle, and existence of a plate.
When a baffle is attached, it is a gentlemanly calm sound, but if it removes, sound volume will increase considerably. Tone quality is racy when it turns especially by high rotation. It is the touch ... still calm in low rotation.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Wow! A new find! Very nice.

Somehow, I must have Japanese language support on my machine. It translated it (somewhat) for me:

by Translated Reviews

As for the comment with which it equipped, a race ish sound does not just accumulate.
From the first, since it is the muffler manufactured for the circuit run, it compares with the muffler corresponding to an ordinary automobile inspection, or it becomes and sound volume is large.

Weight is also quite lighter-weight than the product of the other company at full titanium. An exhaust pipe is also thick and it is the touch whose feeling of torque increased. Torque does not have a touch which became thin by low rotation, either.
Therefore, especially in the direction by which a circuit run is carried out, it is a recommend (^^) It is the muffler manufactured for circuit runs to the last, and since it is not for everybody, it is considered as four star.

Although it is a moderate exhaust sound, if it turns, it will change even to racy touch! Appearance is also a price zone which he is smart at full exhaust, and a price is also comparatively cheap compared with the other company, and is easy to buy it.
although it stood, and it fails to get off the ground, it came out and the wound has been attached, I would like to have ridden carefully from now on

Sound is somewhat louder than expected and is effective. [ of low-pitched sound ]
If an axel is opened, it can carry out skilled [ of the V-Twin sound ].

Finishing is also well pleasing. The elongation of high rotation is also good.

Since the muffler of the main machine was also yamamoto racing, the submachine was also made into yamamoto racing.

* The accuracy of attachment each parts was good and attachment was completed in the smooth.

* Compared with the after-attachment pure muffler, that it can blow going up became good, and riding became pleasant. Or [ that it is also a weight saving since it is lighter than a back pure muffler ].

Since sound volume is an object for races to the last, it is a little quite large.
I think that it is baffle Mandatory to use it all over a town.

Appearance became a very smart result with silver!! It was fairly important although it was simple places, such as existence of a baffle, and existence of a plate.
When a baffle is attached, it is a gentlemanly calm sound, but if it removes, sound volume will increase considerably. Tone quality is racy when it turns especially by high rotation. It is the touch ... still calm in low rotation.
I guess that is as close as it gets to the real translation, kinda funny I wonder if we can get a hold of dyno data... Translated
Old 12-25-2012, 06:56 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
some good info on exhaust in the link below, albeit a bit technical for my lame brain. Not motorcycle specific, but is relevant and does reference some moto gp applications.

I like the Yanamoto example found by mik because it's the only one i've seen that utilizes a long, low-degree merge. Not incorporating that long smooth merge is likly one reason why some on the forum who have tried the single pipe gave up on it, and reverted back to a twin pipe set-up.

After reading some info on exhaust principles and having tried the single myself, it appears that the quick abrupt merge is a definite no-no for many reasons and notably in maintaining a flat torque curve through the entire rpm range. Also, the rapid sonic pulse may be destructive to weaker-built slip-ons but I have not experienced this yet.

Anyway, personally i'm commited and ain't goin back because i love the lost weight, which has changed front/rear weight bias and handling attributes thereof, and, after some carb mods,am plenty happy with engine performance despite the typical crude merge method. The sonic pulse is rapid which surprised me until reading the why of and although different, it does sound good. The oval Devil slip-on from the f4i600 seems plenty sturdy for now, i hope not to test its strength too much longer if i can figure out a suitable way to merge correctly w/o totally re-doing the primary pipes.

So, I'm looking toward making a more gradual convergence similar to the Yanamoto and those in the rbr link yet still not change the point of merge. Time will tell.

merry-happy to all!

Exhaust System Technology: Science and Implementaton of High Performance Exhaust Systems
Old 12-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Nath, Thanks for posting that link up. I have been thinking of a nice 2-1-2 undertail exhaust and I think that this will be useful.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:36 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Squid
Nath, Thanks for posting that link up. I have been thinking of a nice 2-1-2 undertail exhaust and I think that this will be useful.
no problem. Many of these sites below state the importance of the merge in exhaust applications regardless, so if you get that part of it right, it will increase the probabilities that you won't have to change something later.

I'm thinkin of buying a merge section and getting my welder friend to fab the rest after i figure out the exact placement.

My plan is to buy the merge piece acc to the in and out pipe diameters, then pick up some flexible pipe and make a temporary set-up just to make sure that it all fits together right. Once everything looks copecetic, then get the welder to do the stainless or chrome moly. This could work for you as well.

Maybe you'll find something of interest in the links i saved.

merry happy

RB Racing LSR 2-1 Exhaust Technology
Exhaust System Basics - Hot Bike Tech - Hot Bike Magazine
Exhaust System Technology: Science and Implementation of High Performance Exhaust Systems
Exhaust System Theory 101
http://www.spdexhaust.com/pdfs/02-11...Collectors.pdf
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
And yet again... Awesome info. I think I nuked the s**t out of the google search function when I looked for it last. Merry / happy to you too.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:03 AM
Squid

Taketsugu Michimuko is on a distinguished road
my 2-1 exhaust have a good job! (made by 'Yamamoto Racing')

My 2-1 exhaust have a good work from low RPM to high RPM with cool sounds ! (made by 'Yamamoto Racing Japan') .
I've been setting on riding conditions with silencer of several types,

Last edited by Taketsugu Michimuko; 08-29-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:03 AM
MotoGP

Have you had it on a dyno? Would be curious to see the power curve....

very nice by the way
Old 08-29-2013, 10:17 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Taketsugu Michimuko

My 2-1 exhaust have a good work from low RPM to high RPM with cool sounds ! (made by 'Yamamoto Racing Japan') .
I've been setting on riding conditions with silencer of several types,

i would love to see pics of the complete tail,i have been thinking of stuff to do with the tail.
im curious to see what it all looks like.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:05 PM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

lloydievtr is on a distinguished road
Love that bike
Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Squid

Taketsugu Michimuko is on a distinguished road
Thanks to every one!
I have no experience measured by the dyno. and I can not be a detailed description of "Yamamoto Racing" 2-1 exhaust in my poor English, but I feel that there is plenty of power and in the speed range of all and it is a great quality with very lightweight

and back view of the tail cowl:

Last edited by Taketsugu Michimuko; 08-30-2013 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Squid

hawknator is on a distinguished road
So I purchased a 2-into-1 on e-bay last year, its a 2-Bros Racing- with complete head pipe-goes into a larger midpipe. I recently purchased a 99 Hawk which is completely stock -installed the pipe tonight with no problems now just need to jet the carbs in. I also have a 98 with hi-mount Jardines on it-will have to see how they compare after I get the 2-Bros dialed in-its can is longer and carbon fibre....