Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

2 into 1 exhaust results

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 03:42 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
2 into 1 exhaust results

Two words: Oh yeah!!!!!!

I fixed up my leaking gasket earlier (took the older one that I still had lying around) and sealed up the joint between the front cylinder and header. I then went out for a good ride and am totally impressed and happy with the result. Although I realize that the seat of the pants can be fooled (and I haven't ridden the bike in over four months) but the mid-range hit is absolutely awesome (BTW, I spent a few days last week test riding a new Speed Triple and am quite confident that my VTR would trounce it in a roll-on). Rolling on the throttle in top gear at 120 km/h (4800 rpm with my current gearing) has the bike surging ahead like gangbusters (you can actually feel the weight tranferring back from the pull). I tried roll-ons from different speeds (up to 7K) and have no flat spots of any kind. It just pulls and pulls (note: I was somewhat expecting this, however, as notes from Daz (chap who has a lot of experience playing with teh 2-1 set-up on the VTR) on the vtr1000.org site indicated that people who ran DJ kits jetted for dual slip-ons typically require no jetting changes).

The exhaust sound is quite a bit louder than before (although my Microns were repacked last year and I am unsure as to the status of the Blue Flame can I have on there now) but it is a deep crackle, and quite pleasant. I will likely open the can up and see if it needs to be re-packed. Either way, I will have to be extra careful in residential areas (something I always do anyway).

I am sure that the time spent cleaning up the welds in the header helped too. Overall, it looks awesome and runs even better. I can't wait to finish everything up with the wheels and all.

I am having a hard time wiping this silly grin off my face

cheers

Last edited by mikstr; 04-06-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:32 PM
Mad Max Beyond Super Hawk
Squid

savdre is on a distinguished road
I am someone who does know a lot about the mechanics of bikes, so could you give a simple explination why going 2 into 1 whould have that effect.

also, I want to run my bike without cans and someone commented that it would have a reducing effect on power. Is thattrue? I have started it without the cans on it and it seems to run well, I havn't riden it yet b/c it is in the middle of a customization project and isn't ridable yet.

Any other issues ( besides noise - which I love the sound withour cans... and honeslty it is no louder then the Harleys Blasting down my street)
Old 04-06-2008, 06:25 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by savdre
I am someone who does know a lot about the mechanics of bikes, so could you give a simple explination why going 2 into 1 whould have that effect.

also, I want to run my bike without cans and someone commented that it would have a reducing effect on power. Is thattrue? I have started it without the cans on it and it seems to run well, I havn't riden it yet b/c it is in the middle of a customization project and isn't ridable yet.

Any other issues ( besides noise - which I love the sound withour cans... and honeslty it is no louder then the Harleys Blasting down my street)
Riding w/o pipes is a bit crazy. For one, its f-ing loud!! Two, power is reduced, because you're loosing all that back pressure.
Yes, it's louder than a Harley because it revs higher. I took my pipes off for the hell of it and drove through town and up some hills. By the time I was done, my ears were ringing and I had one of the worst headaches ever.

...it's also not too good for your engine, even though pissing off your 70 year old neighbors who hate you is pretty fun

Last edited by Blue Ridge Boy; 04-06-2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: add a little
Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
mik, do you have any pictures of your pipe setup, particularly where the headers meet the mids. I am in the middle of building my bike back up and have been thinking about doing this. Any pictures and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and congrats on a successful build.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Mik,
I'm also the proud owner of a 2-1 system....I have Nemish's old one, with a Mori can. I'm not sure how much "weld cleanup" he did, but it doesn't look like at lot.
I'm VERY curious to see what yours looks like in comparison. I have a close friend who hand-built a system for his VFR (which turned out very nicely). I'm thinking of commissioning him to do one for my SuperHawk...for integration into my swingarm project. I'd really like a left exit 2-1, but that might be too much?

Pics please?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 AM
MotoGP

I guess I'll have to get my digital camera back from the gf....

Acknowledging that a picture is worth a thousand words, here, nonetheless, are the words:
- I cut the pipe just before it splits up again (in the end of the "1" section of the 2-1-2 set-up); this section of the pipe has a 2" diameter
- this gave me access to the joint where the two pipes join up; this is the portion I cleaned up with the dremel (ground away the sloppy factory welds to make everything smooth)
- I clamped the link pipe from the R1 Blue Flame can (which, thankfully, was also 2" diameter) to the header
- I had to cut the R1 link pipe as the bend wasn't right so I used a 2" joiner for a car exhaust to link up the cut sections of pipe and routed the second piece to the can, I then cut the second piece (which was too long) to the required length and fastened the whole think to the high mount bracket from the Micron.
- I went to an auto supply store and bought some decent clamps to keep everything together

In truth, I kind of lucked out in so far as the bend of the R1 pipe is concerned as I was able to make it fit using only one cut but, then again, I picked the Blue Flame can by looking at an example of a link pipe made for a VTR 2-1 set-up (and saw the two were quite similar). In other words, I rolled the dice, and won.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Mad Max Beyond Super Hawk
Squid

savdre is on a distinguished road
BRB,

I am keeping the mid pipes from the jardine highmounts. Do you think this will create enough back pressue or not?

Here is a pic. i do like the look of no big cans:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...3&d=1207500748

I have 2 other ideas to creat back pressure... put on fish tails ( not sure if that is the right name) or make stack flaps like off a tractor trailer.

Any ideas about how to reduce the noise a bit with out sticking big cans on it?
Old 10-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Superstock

I know the thread is old, but anybody got any pics of this yet?
Old 10-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 102dals
Mik,
I'm also the proud owner of a 2-1 system....I have Nemish's old one, with a Mori can. I'm not sure how much "weld cleanup" he did, but it doesn't look like at lot.
I'm VERY curious to see what yours looks like in comparison. I have a close friend who hand-built a system for his VFR (which turned out very nicely). I'm thinking of commissioning him to do one for my SuperHawk...for integration into my swingarm project. I'd really like a left exit 2-1, but that might be too much?

Pics please?
When I had it welded up I asked the welder dude to clean them up some. I don't think he did a great job smoothing out welds internally but I was tired of ******* with it and just wanted to get the bike back on the road.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Superstock

I understand totally. It looks great, wasn't too spendy (thanks to Greg), and saves weight for sure. Did you ever have it dyno'd? I wonder if the Jardines make more power?
Actually it was my bro who built the VFR system. His made more power & saved weight.
He finally saw yours last week & liked the look, and was asking about internals. His had a merged collector and huge outlet to the cann.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Superstock

hey Mik,
Any pics of this up on the forum yet?
Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 AM
MotoGP

https://www.superhawkforum.com/galle...user/2111/sl/m