Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Another suspension swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:00 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Threads like this are great. Love them.

im getting the itch for a USD fork but here you may as well buy a new bike for what people charge for forks.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:56 PM
Moto Jedi
Squid

Deltasixx is on a distinguished road
I'd be interested in your stock forks.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:51 AM
Squid

Twitchy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
For those that have done this front end swap, I followed this write up and everything works perfectly. However, when I purchased the bearings from All ***** to do this swap, the lower bearing came with two washers. I had no idea what they were for untill after I pressed the new lower bearing onto the stem. They are the exact thickness to lower the bottom tripple, so you do not have to grind/file your steering stops.

So, if you do this swap and get the bearings from All *****, then on the lower tripple slide on the thick washer, then the stainless steel washer, then the seal, and then the bearing. Just passing along information for the next guy who uses this awesome write up.

Just one caveat to the information I posted. I have a GPR V4 steering stabilizer that mounts to steering stem. I needed the extra length of the steering stem to be able to use the GPR mount. So, if you are using or planning to use a steering stabilizer that mounts to the steering stem, then do not install those two washers I mention.

Thanks for posting this Mike. It helped me out. I'm going to drop 5 stars on this thread
Ok, now I know this thread is 6 years old, but I am FINALLY doing my fork swap (954 triple, SP1 forks fondled by Sir Ditchfield). As CruxGNZ says, the All ***** kit comes with extra washers in the lower bearing kit. I have followed Crux's suggestion of including the washers, and I am wondering if anyone else has done this swap the same?

I have installed the washers under the lower bearing, and there is now no thread left above the first lock nut. So it is not possible to install the tab washer (lock washer), and second lock nut. Note these are the nuts installed before installing the top bridge. I am concerned about not being able to include the secondary lock nut, but I suppose there is the top bridge preventing anything from getting too loose. My million dollar question is... has anyone else come across this issue? Or have I made a monumental fubar?

TIA

**EDIT** I havent made a monumental fuber, as the thickness of the washers is similar to the lock nut thickness. But what has been everyone's solution (or suggestion). Will the top bridge keep the upper bearing nut from loosening?

Last edited by Twitchy; 10-11-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:08 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Twitchy
Ok, now I know this thread is 6 years old, but I am FINALLY doing my fork swap (954 triple, SP1 forks fondled by Sir Ditchfield). As CruxGNZ says, the All ***** kit comes with extra washers in the lower bearing kit. I have followed Crux's suggestion of including the washers, and I am wondering if anyone else has done this swap the same?

I have installed the washers under the lower bearing, and there is now no thread left above the first lock nut. So it is not possible to install the tab washer (lock washer), and second lock nut. Note these are the nuts installed before installing the top bridge. I am concerned about not being able to include the secondary lock nut, but I suppose there is the top bridge preventing anything from getting too loose. My million dollar question is... has anyone else come across this issue? Or have I made a monumental fubar?

TIA

**EDIT** I havent made a monumental fuber, as the thickness of the washers is similar to the lock nut thickness. But what has been everyone's solution (or suggestion). Will the top bridge keep the upper bearing nut from loosening?
Twitchy,
If you don't get a reply from quoting, click on Crux user name and try sending a direct email. It's been a while since he's been on the forum.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:00 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
I am running the same combination of parts. I don’t remember how many or thickness of the washers. I think that there was only one on the bottom. Had no issues with the top nuts and lock washer. Seems as though if you are short on threads at the top bridge, removing a washer would help?