Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Got this clutch gem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 05:13 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Got this clutch gem

So at long last I got my oberon clutch slave. It looks really nice but I just wanted to stop the madness of fluid loss due to my old galled bore on the stocker.
I would normally grab an ebay unit but wasn't able to believe they wouldn't be as bad as mine.
Wil try to take some pics of it on.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:26 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Are you planning on doing a fresh rebuild on the master as well?

when I did my Oberon I decided to Use an ultra low mileage super clean master cylinder I've had for a while out rebuild it with all new parts fluid reservoir to seal got tired of seeing my fluid contaminated and just a few months from whatever was eating itself to death in my old system

use an ultra low mileage super clean master cylinder I've had for a while out rebuilt it with all new parts fluid reservoir to seal got tired of seeing Mike fluid contaminated in just a few months from whatever was eating itself to death in my old system
clean fluid would be black in about 10 weeks of every day riding

Now it’s been months with the all new system and fluid is crystal clear still I’m happy

Last edited by E.Marquez; 01-18-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:00 PM
MotoGP

Well, not sure who Mike is but.. hehe.
I was not planning on it but for now will flush the fluid. I do have a master rebuild kit.
You are very good at somehow upping my workload and parts wishlist.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:13 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Well, not sure who Mike is but.. hehe.
Arrrg voice to texted again....fixed thanks.

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I was not planning on it but for now will flush the fluid. I do have a master rebuild kit.
You are very good at somehow upping my workload and parts wishlist.
Your very welcome

Do it once, all the way and be done with it..Even better you have what you need on hand.

If your only problem was leaking at the slave, I suppose you could just install and bleed, getting some more miles out of a working master....I just hate having to do work a second time so tend to refresh associated stuff before its needed, but at the same time as the repair parts are installed.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:08 AM
Back Marker

bigborer is on a distinguished road
What is the difference vs OEM?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:50 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by bigborer
What is the difference vs OEM?
Not 18 years old
Honda clutch slave cylinder by Oberon Performance.
Designed to improve the efficiency and looks of the original clutch slave cylinder. The enhanced piston diameter reduces the heaviness of the original clutch action and brings much relief to aching arms. The internal piston design, seals and breather hole have been drastically enhanced to prevent leaks and leave a smoother clutch action. CNC machined from 6000 series billet alloy for lightness, strength and eye-catching looks. Seven fantastic colours (inc Orange) to choose from.
And will make you breakfast after date night.....

I brought it to replace a 18 year old one that had some pitting in the bore, that it looked nice, had claims of lighter feel, better seal design, that was icing on the cake.
After using it for a few months now..is it what it claims ?
Well it does not leak....lol..so the U seal design must work...
Light feel? I think so, but its hard to quantify. I can say it makes for very smooth clutch engagements so that and not 18 years old, Im happy with the purchase

Old 01-23-2019, 09:55 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
It appears that the Oberon slave has a 2mm larger bore diameter. This gives it a slightly altered master to slave ratio (2.37:1) vs the OEM of (2.24:1) achieving a slightly broader engagement point. This seams to allow a bit smoother engagement when launching or slipping the clutch. I went a tad further with a VFR800 master as it has a smaller (14mm) bore. The result was a ratio of (2.69:1) makin for even smoother engagement. Coupled with a S.S. line, my clutch is perfect, for me. Plus, it adds some more bling.
P.S. I found out the hard way that the clutch push rod, while dimensionally is the same, it is different at each end. The end that goes into the clutch has a shorter length hardened ball end. The end that goes into the slave has a longer hardened piece apparently to prevent getting damaged by chain lube and debris.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:05 PM
MotoGP

So it is in.
I only did a short test but it is noticeably different to what the old stocker felt like.

It seems way smoother, easier pull and slower engagement. (seems like I heard this story somewhere before)

But really it is an improvement and so far I like it a lot.

Thanks again Erik
Old 01-24-2019, 10:42 PM
Squid

Felix Barrao is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CaryDG
It appears that the Oberon slave has a 2mm larger bore diameter. This gives it a slightly altered master to slave ratio (2.37:1) vs the OEM of (2.24:1) achieving a slightly broader engagement point. This seams to allow a bit smoother engagement when launching or slipping the clutch. I went a tad further with a VFR800 master as it has a smaller (14mm) bore. The result was a ratio of (2.69:1) makin for even smoother engagement. Coupled with a S.S. line, my clutch is perfect, for me. Plus, it adds some more bling.
P.S. I found out the hard way that the clutch push rod, while dimensionally is the same, it is different at each end. The end that goes into the clutch has a shorter length hardened ball end. The end that goes into the slave has a longer hardened piece apparently to prevent getting damaged by chain lube and debris.
Sounds good to me to change the clutch ratio with a smaller master diameter. With the standard one you have the control only in the last part. What is the original piston diameter in the VTR? Could we go further with, maybe 13mm piston?
Thanks
Old 01-25-2019, 07:50 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
I believe the OEM is 15.87 mm (5/8 in) the VFR is 14mm. I wasn't able to find a 13mm master. With the OEM slave we would arrive at a 2.75:1 ratio. But, there may not be enough lever travel to completely disengage the clutch. Let us know if you locate a 13mm master.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 AM
Squid

Thanks.
Yes, I will try to find a 13mm one.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:12 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Those who have bought or considering this slave cylinder, and may not have figured out yet that you cannot buy service parts for it .

I went round and round with the company owner and senior tech guy after I bought mine and then tried to order service parts to have on hand.

Oberon has what they call a lifetime warranty and are happy to deal with service if needed though they claim it shouldn’t ever be required

When I pointed out of course that is that’s great but you’re in the United Kingdom, postage shipping times, downtime, turnaround time

We came to an agreement where they will sell me parts, however if anybody besides them that opens up the unit it voids the warranty.

Hard to argue with a lifetime warranty so perhaps it’s not an issue.

I am considering working to become one of their dealers here in the US, but even that they don’t let their dealers service the units no matter where the dealer is. All units go back to the home office for repair if you ever need it.

As I have several stock slave cylinders laying around I’m not overly concerned about it if the Oberon ever springs a leak I’ll pop in a stock one and send the Oberon back to them .

Last edited by E.Marquez; 01-27-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:15 AM
MotoGP

Interesting Erik. Now I recall why I keep old but working parts.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Squid

Oberon installed today, great improvement vs the original one.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:32 AM
MotoGP

Wow its a real VTR trend.

See what you started Marquez?
Old 02-26-2020, 08:58 AM
apezman07
Squid

apezman07 is on a distinguished road
I take it the factory slave cylinder is prone to leaking? I ask because mine is wet underneath.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:27 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Not prone but they do fail. Grit and crap get into the clutch slave damaging the bore / seal causing a leak and lack of clutch. Either tidy it up with a service kit and polish up the bore / replace unit secondhand (same as blackbirds, VFR and similar Hondas from the period) or get an aftermarket Oberon.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:04 PM
MotoGP

Mine leaked even after the kit so oberon for me. Lots of time fixing isn't worth it, I just replaced.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:19 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
I use the same Oberon and I have to say it works much better than the OEM, you get allot more precision feel and smoothness.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:41 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
I believe the OEM is 15.87 mm (5/8 in) the VFR is 14mm. I wasn't able to find a 13mm master. With the OEM slave we would arrive at a 2.75:1 ratio. But, there may not be enough lever travel to completely disengage the clutch. Let us know if you locate a 13mm master.
I have been researching clutch MC in hopes of finding a radial unit (aftermarket bars and can't get the positioning where I want with stock MC). Since a little smaller diameter piston than stock is reported to improve engagement, I started looking at what stock sizes across several models and years of Honda to verify sizes. Thinking that a 13mm radial would be good, 14mm if I went with an Oberon slave.
I have seen it written on the web (got to be true) that a radial MC at a given size acts differently than a axial. This wasn't referring to the generally accepted advantages of a radial over axial. What I read implied that a radial acted as though it is a bit smaller than it's actual piston size would indicate. I have a hard time understanding this, as the same size piston will move the same amount of fluid given the same stroke.

In the interests of accuracy, here is some of that info. Keep in mind that this info is only as good as the accuracy of Partzilla web site.

14mm clutch master bore diameter. Honda part number for piston set, master cylinder 22886-MB0-305
VFR 800 '97-'98
CBR 1100XX '97-'98
VTR 1000F '98-'05

12.7mm clutch master bore diameter:Honda part number for piston set, master cylinder 22886-MAT-E01
VFR 800 '00-'15
CBR 1100XX '99-'03
RC 51 '00-'06

There are some other models and years I saw that also use the 12.7mm size, such as mid 2000ish CBR1000RR. Did not record those, so careful with that info.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:35 AM
SuperBike

Where can I find both stock and Oberon clutch slave piston diameters? I've searched and nothing.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:34 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by xeris
Where can I find both stock and Oberon clutch slave piston diameters? I've searched and nothing.
You would need to measure them, or have someone for you.
Or you could send Oberon a email and ask, they might just have both numbers.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:39 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xeris
I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I seem to recall the OEM is 34,and the Oberon is 38mm (try searching the Speedzilla site, I seem to recall the info being posted there)

I stand corrected, OEM is apparently 35.6 and Oberon is 38. https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index....ylinder-sizes/

Last edited by mikstr; 04-04-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:42 AM
Back Marker

jefejrs is on a distinguished road
Got mine today. Absolutely nothing wrong with the stock one. More projects for the garage during these strange days. Rebuilding master cylinder, new line etc. I love fixing things that are not broken. Cannot believe how quick Oberon gets this out. Ordered Saturday night, on doorstep Tuesday morning. Not sure how that is possible even during normal times..
Old 04-07-2020, 07:32 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mikstr
I may be wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I seem to recall the OEM is 34,and the Oberon is 38mm (try searching the Speedzilla site, I seem to recall the info being posted there)

I stand corrected, OEM is apparently 35.6 and Oberon is 38. https://www.vfrdiscussion.com/index....ylinder-sizes/
Thank you.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:23 AM
SuperBike

Drink the Kool-Aid it will make everything better!
So a re-fresh of the master-slave ratios. Stock 2.54:1, stock master with Oberon slave 2.71:1, Brembo master with Oberon slave 2.53:1.
These numbers are assuming stock master at 14mm, stock slave 35.6mm, Brembo master 15mm, Oberon slave 38mm.
The combination I ended up with is going the wrong way for a less grabby engagement, according to forum wisdom. Did a short test ride and the engagement feels a little different, neither worse or better, just different. A longer amount of time riding with this set up, I might be able to know what I have.