SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   Another suspension swap (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/another-suspension-swap-21595/)

8541Hawk 02-18-2010 11:21 AM

Another suspension swap

5 Attachment(s)
So it's finally time for me to do my suspension upgrade so the bike started the day yesterday looking like this:

Attachment 8315

And ended the day like this:

Attachment 8316

Now to make this pile of front end goodness fit...... Sp2 forks with Ohlins internals set up by Dan Kyle, 954 lower triple, Sp1 upper, Swatt Clip ons:

Attachment 8317

Now you can't do the front without addressing the rear ( I do have more pics of this step, hell I have a ton of pics and will post more as time allows)

Attachment 8318

and of course the gratuitous wheel shot.....lol

Attachment 8319

This also means I will have a pile of parts coming up for sale in the next few days as I get stuff sorted but I will have a complete Front and rear suspension set up by Jim Lindemann http://www.le-suspension.com/ along with all the assorted front end bits I will no longer need and a set of wheels with brakes.

Time to go finish modifying the lower triple and i will post more as i have a chance.....;)

mikstr 02-18-2010 11:23 AM

woohoo!!! Modding time!!!!

lazn 02-18-2010 11:29 AM

looking good

Tweety 02-18-2010 11:30 AM

:popcorn:

stebbdt 02-18-2010 12:42 PM

I'm doing the same swap, looks like you're a bit further along than me. I'm planning to use the same lower, and I see it looks as though you had to remove some material on the leading/inner edge of the stops, was this to enable lock to lock? I just ordered the all balls tapered stem bearing set, $33.89 + $5.00 shipping, fits the VTR as well as the 954/929.
I'm planning to try the superbike bars with the RC51 upper, looks like a great start.

lazn 02-18-2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by stebbdt (Post 254424)
I see it looks as though you had to remove some material on the leading/inner edge of the stops, was this to enable lock to lock?

Yes, you need to remove some material from the stops to improve parking lot turning radius.. Also once you do this the forks start to hit the radiator cross over hose. So you can either move the radiators back, or you can just live with it. (I am just living with it)

8541Hawk 02-18-2010 05:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
That's what's great about this swap, no need to answer any questions......lol
So not much work got done today but with good reason. I logged into my local board this morning and had a message from a friend of mine who lives about 95mi away.

After reading the thread I started there about my ongoing swap he wanted me to come down to his shop as he had a couple of parts for me. At this point in the project most people would be told to wait but this is the same guy i got the forks from. When you go to his glass shop, the whole back third of the shop is motorbike heaven with 4 bike lifts and all kinds of interesting projects going on.

Well enough blah,blah,blah I let you guys decide, was the trip worth it.....

I don't think I need to add much here.

Attachment 8321

and a set of Two Brothers rear peg eliminators. I did a quick clean up on one while we were BSing but it shows how long this stuff has been sitting....

Attachment 8322

Of course now i have to figure out how I'm going to set the bike up. I was going to run a Penske in the rear so I could get ride height adjustment. The reason for this is my old set up was running the forks up 10mm in the triple and a 1\4 (or 6.xx mm) ride height spacer. While I like how the bike handles like this, when pushed a little hard the header drags in right hand turns.

Attachment 8323

So to get a little more ground clearance I was going to run the new forks all the way down in the triple and get the geometry back by raising the rear. Well the Ohlins doesn't have ride height adjustment, which means i can either get the upper mount modified (which means I have to do the damn math...... ) or I can just run it with the old spacer and leave the forks pulled all the way down and see how things work.

Stay tuned for more fun to come......

jbaxx 02-18-2010 05:51 PM

Looks like fun! I'll be watching this one! :thumbsup:

cliby 02-18-2010 06:16 PM

hey Mike, you have made huge progress. Very cool. I like the powder coated wheels too and nice job on the braced set up. Looking forward to seeing the results and hear how it all works.

bill

scatterbrained 02-18-2010 07:23 PM

Looking good. Makes it harder and harder for me to hold on to my money when I see a thread like this.

toy4xchris 02-18-2010 07:30 PM

Looking nice got a nice bunch of parts and some sweet plans for it all. Looking forward to seeing it all setup.

JoedresVTR 02-18-2010 08:08 PM

all that work and $$... i'd like to ride one before i invest. i have my front forks professionally re-valved and adjusted and feel they work excellent. rear is stock and i wish it was much smoother. looks like a sweet mod. your rims look great.

salmanilla2000 02-19-2010 01:21 PM

How much did the Ohlins rear shock set you back?

8541Hawk 02-19-2010 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by cliby (Post 254467)
hey Mike, you have made huge progress. Very cool. I like the powder coated wheels too and nice job on the braced set up. Looking forward to seeing the results and hear how it all works.

bill

Thanks Bill..... and thanks again for parting with the rear wheel and swingarm.

8541Hawk 02-19-2010 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by salmanilla2000 (Post 254572)
How much did the Ohlins rear shock set you back?

Well I do have to put a spring on it but so far $0 ;)
It's one of those pay me sometime things....... now to talk him out of the Mori cams that he has...... :cool:

8541Hawk 02-19-2010 03:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So today was finishing the lower triple. This is the weak point on the stock set up IMHO. Here is a shot of the difference.

Attachment 8329

There are two things needed to make the 954 triple fit on the SH first is to relieve a bit off the side of the steering stop. Here the left is stock and I have just started on the right

Attachment 8330

and this is what you end up with when you are finished

Attachment 8331

Also as i am not moving the rads at this time I have to drill and tap the steering stops to extend them out a bit

Attachment 8332

8541Hawk 02-19-2010 03:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So after modifying, time to test fit the lower clamp

Attachment 8333

And the rest of the test fitting before disassembling everything to paint the lower clamp and then tomorrow it will be time to start bolting the front together ;)

Attachment 8334

Attachment 8335

Attachment 8336

stebbdt 02-19-2010 03:54 PM

Great write up Mike, very in depth, I see by your excellent pic's the reason for relieving the stops, needed to clear the fairing stay, Man you're going to make my swap too easy, just got my bushings, seals and oil installed today, now I can eliminate one trial fit and go right to drilling and tapping for the lock stop bolts and initial trimming on the fronts. I was not able to procure an RC51 front wheel, so I'm going with a cbr1000 wheel, just need to source conversion bearings, prob. all balls. Well keep it comeing, looks fantastic.
Dave

RCVTR 02-19-2010 04:01 PM

Super cool!

I like the steering stops - just right.

I'm surprised the shock does not have a ride height adjuster. Mine does.
I'll bet the adjustable clevis is available from Ohlins.
Check with Kyle Racing, or Pettersen Pro Suspension (PPS).

KC-10ENG 02-19-2010 04:25 PM

If anyone wants I have a complete Spiegler bar riser kit for an SP1 that I need to get rid of.

Dennis

8541Hawk 02-19-2010 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by RCVTR (Post 254593)
Super cool!

I like the steering stops - just right.

I'm surprised the shock does not have a ride height adjuster. Mine does.
I'll bet the adjustable clevis is available from Ohlins.
Check with Kyle Racing, or Pettersen Pro Suspension (PPS).

I do have to go see Dan to swap the spring so I'll ask him then.

captainchaos 02-19-2010 05:32 PM

Lookin' good! Any reason you're using a 5 spoke wheel in front? An sp1 6 spoker is a nice match for a 900rr rear...

8541Hawk 02-19-2010 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 254602)
Lookin' good! Any reason you're using a 5 spoke wheel in front? An sp1 6 spoker is a nice match for a 900rr rear...

Well I could have gone either way but the Sp2 wheel is over a pound lighter than the Sp1 wheel so that sealed the deal for me.

captainchaos 02-19-2010 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 254603)
Well I could have gone either way but the Sp2 wheel is over a pound lighter than the Sp1 wheel so that sealed the deal for me.

well there you go ;)

hondavtr1000sp2 02-20-2010 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by KC-10ENG (Post 254595)
If anyone wants I have a complete Spiegler bar riser kit for an SP1 that I need to get rid of.

Dennis

Pictures/Prices !?

KC-10ENG 02-20-2010 08:41 AM

Let me get some pics of the whole kit today and I will put it in the for sale section. That way I will not be stepping on anyones toes.

Dennis

8541Hawk 02-21-2010 12:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I started out this afternoon with the normal pics of the days work:

Attachment 8342

Well then I got the happy call from the ex and well instead of going out a killing something this happened.....;)

Attachment 8343

Attachment 8344

Attachment 8345

Attachment 8346

So tomorrow I will get the clip ons dialed in and the holes drilled for the controls and should get the swingarm back Mon from the welder, so still waiting on a spring for the rear shock and so odds and ends but it's getting there.

mikstr 02-21-2010 04:43 AM

Coming together very nicely :)

So much for not modding the VTR huh? :)

stebbdt 02-21-2010 06:24 AM

Coming together very nicely :)

+1 I agree mikster, hey Mike, would you mind if I piggyback my swap in your thread?
Seeing as I'm doing pretty much the same mod, just a day or two behind you, I figure a second Rc51 fork swap thread would just be redundant. I wont jack yer thread just post my progress as well, whatcha think?

Dave

gboezio 02-21-2010 06:31 AM

Can't wait to hear your driving impressions on this, good job !!