Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:22 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Anybody mounted Protons? I read somewhere the RC51 versions fit? Do you have to take off the fairing for mounting?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:53 AM
Squid

theosagekid is on a distinguished road
protons

What he said.
I want integrated turnsignal mirrors.
Then I want to put something like the protons in the oval holes in the bodywork where the stockers stuck through, wired to be running lights only or alternatively use the strobe setting on them if I continue to wire them as flashers.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:25 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Yes, the RC51 protons fit fine. That is what I have.....
Old 05-04-2014, 06:23 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 102dals
Anybody mounted Protons? I read somewhere the RC51 versions fit? Do you have to take off the fairing for mounting?
I put a pair (for an RC) on a few weeks ago. They fit perfectly, are very bright and no removal of the fairings is required. A small (don't remember the size) ratcheting wrench made tightening the nut that holds the light in place a lot easier.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:31 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-100_0604.jpg

Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-100_0605.jpg
Old 09-26-2015, 07:51 PM
Led Sled
Squid

Ariola is on a distinguished road
These came on the bike when I bought the bike. just thought I'd share ...
Attached Thumbnails Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-win_20150906_131158.jpg  
Old 09-27-2015, 07:37 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Ariola I really like that fairing and light setup. Is it a superhawk race fairing modded?

Can you show pics of the whole bike? How is the light output.?

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 09-27-2015 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:47 PM
Led Sled
Squid

Ariola is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Ariola I really like that fairing and light setup. Is it a superhawk race fairing modded?

Can you shoe pics of the whole bike? How is the light output.?

I believe it's a Buell Firebolt fairing set up. Gives the bike really clean lines...
Attached Thumbnails Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-win_20150906_131026.jpg   Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-win_20150906_131041.jpg   Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-win_20150906_131100.jpg   Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-win_20150906_131114.jpg   Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-win_20150906_131125.jpg  

Old 09-27-2015, 08:07 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Wow does look great. Oh and I meant show, not shoe Ed Sullivan.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:54 AM
Squid

Central Coast Stormer is on a distinguished road
Hey can you please show me a closer look at these turn indicators your running?
Thanks
Old 10-14-2015, 02:41 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
That looks really nice, can't help but notice the original CCTs and how far the front forks have been dropped though!

Have you addressed those items yet?
Old 10-14-2015, 03:56 PM
Back Marker

bbancsov is on a distinguished road
Buell 1125 cr front headlight, Buell-ish front & rear smoked signals, stock rear tail-light.

Name:  IMG_6701_zps5u8xwxve.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  234.0 KB

Name:  IMG_6960_zpsttccswpx.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  207.2 KB

Name:  903922_zpsmcnhplcb.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  297.4 KB
Old 07-23-2018, 08:13 AM
Back Marker

bigborer is on a distinguished road
Did the VTR came with license plate lights? Because mine doesn't have them (and neither is there any plug for them) , and I need to know this as I'm due for the road inspection and they pick on this as a reason for failure.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:44 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bigborer
Did the VTR came with license plate lights? Because mine doesn't have them (and neither is there any plug for them) , and I need to know this as I'm due for the road inspection and they pick on this as a reason for failure.
Yes it did, was part of the fender/ mud flap.

LED license plate light bolts are a super clean way to meet the inspection needs.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 07-23-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:07 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by E.Marquez

Yes it did, was part of the fender/ mud flap.

LED license plate light bolts are a super clean way to meet the inspection needs.
Thanks! I was hoping that up to some point bikes weren't build with plate lights and I'd get away with it, but if that's the case I'll splice one of the brake light wires and fit something, I might already have one of those "LED in a bolt" lights hidden somewhere...
Old 07-23-2018, 09:10 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bigborer
Thanks! I was hoping that up to some point bikes weren't build with plate lights and I'd get away with it, but if that's the case I'll splice one of the brake light wires and fit something, I might already have one of those "LED in a bolt" lights hidden somewhere...
Your location says "EU" if accurate, I have no idea what EU regulations say about license plate lights.
In the US, all vehicles on the road with a plate must have lights that make the plate visible from the rear. State law dictates how far (how bright the lights have to be) but generally, you only get hassled on it if they wanted a reason to stop you anyway.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:30 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Your location says "EU" if accurate, I have no idea what EU regulations say about license plate lights.
In the US, all vehicles on the road with a plate must have lights that make the plate visible from the rear. State law dictates how far (how bright the lights have to be) but generally, you only get hassled on it if they wanted a reason to stop you anyway.
Theoretically, they're mandatory, and also any modifications of external lighting (such as LED tail lights) are forbidden, being caught with such should get you a fine + registration suspension- which you'll get back after paying the fine and a passing (and paying) an inspection at an office of the motor vehicle agency. Same for modified exhausts, frames, etc. Practically, unless you come by a "thematic inspections road block" (eg all bikes passing) which is rather rare for passenger vehicles, in 99,99% of cases you could get away with anything, especially if it's within reason.
For the usual inspection, which can be also done at private centers, small things such as LED plate lights are tolerated, but you do need to have all lights that came from the factory.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:18 PM
SuperBike

I'm thinking that you didn't have a light for the license plate because it never had one.The fender is shorter as a result of not needing a separate light. The bikes for the UK market did not have the light shown in E.Marquez's photo. Maybe the rest of the EU did not get them also.
Light is provided by a clear panel on the bottom of the tail light. US market bikes have an opaque panel.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:08 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by xeris
I'm thinking that you didn't have a light for the license plate because it never had one.The fender is shorter as a result of not needing a separate light. The bikes for the UK market did not have the light shown in E.Marquez's photo. Maybe the rest of the EU did not get them also.
Light is provided by a clear panel on the bottom of the tail light. US market bikes have an opaque panel.
Great info, thanks!

I'll check for the clear panel in the tail light later.
This is the rear of my bike:
Attached Thumbnails Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-vtr_rear.png  
Old 07-28-2018, 05:31 PM
Back Marker

Turns out the lower part is fully transparent! Not sure how I didn't see it! Awesome!
Attached Thumbnails Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-photo_2018-07-29_03-29-00.jpg  
Old 07-28-2018, 08:14 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Maybe cause it was covered in mud from the, apparent, off-roading you've been doing.

So, this is the first I've heard that any model of VTR had transparent panels on the bottom of the taillights rather than opaque or translucent as mine has. I've thought about cutting out the opaque plastic and replacing with clear to act as plate illumination. Is it just the tail/brake light that shines through there on UK bikes or do they have an additional bulb to illuminate the plate?
Old 07-28-2018, 08:56 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Maybe cause it was covered in mud from the, apparent, off-roading you've been doing.

So, this is the first I've heard that any model of VTR had transparent panels on the bottom of the taillights rather than opaque or translucent as mine has. I've thought about cutting out the opaque plastic and replacing with clear to act as plate illumination. Is it just the tail/brake light that shines through there on UK bikes or do they have an additional bulb to illuminate the plate?
Same as US bikes but with the clear panel. I purchased a tail light from eBay in the UK. I cut my fender back and wanted a way to illuminate the plate without using tag bolts.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:23 PM
Squid

Swampy is on a distinguished road
Mods to stock lights/vents

Had an led integrated tail but it sucked
Been modding the stock tail light but oops, I blew the only really bright big orange leds I had...thats a 22 mm eagle eye each side in 1" aluminium thin wall tube, (a work in progress). The side lights are VT Conmmodore with led lamps. The tail lamps are leds, the middle brightness of the three sets I tried. The old clutch master boot shrouds the rear camera form the number plate lamp

Posted this mod on Ozfirestorm. Put led halo/spots into the fairing vents with black mesh covers, The halo is on all the time and centre spot is connected to the indicators. Headlight is stock and off. I made the forkbrace out of billet

Forward facing spotlight indicator in the fairing vent during rebuild/paint. Since holesawed a stock lens and stuck it over the spot to orangeise it for compliance
Old 01-03-2019, 02:38 PM
Squid

Swampy is on a distinguished road
mod stock

Tried modding the stock tailight but blew the really bright orange led...that an eagle eye each side in 1" aluminium thin wall tube. The side lights are VT Conmmodore with led lamps

Posted this mod on Ozfirestorm. Put led halo/spots into the fairing vents with black mesh covers, The halo is on all the time and centre spot is connected to the indicators

Forward facing spotlight indicator in the fairing vent during rebuild/paint. Since holesawed a stock lens and stuck it over the spot to orangeise it