SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/show-me-your-lights-tail-lights-turn-signals-what-works-what-doesnt-26231/)

rafbo 07-26-2011 03:35 PM

Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.

I want to update my lights and wanted to see what is out there, and especially what looks good on a SH. Can your lights be seen in bright day light. If you changed your lights please post here specifically just regarding the lights.
Please include photos and, if you have it, a link to the store where it can be purchased.

Thanks.

Gregw 07-26-2011 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These turn signals are standard bulb style from Cycle Gear. I yanked the innards out and replaced with 3 watt LEDs. The brake light has the same LED treatment.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...2&d=1311723006

rafbo 08-14-2011 10:00 PM

I'm on my 2nd set, still not happy.

2 Attachment(s)
I shopped Amazon and then Ebay and there are some good prices. Unfortunately, you do get what you pay for. I spent $20-30 for a set of 4 turn signals. China made and very poor quality. 1 out of 4 lights has had a major defect. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron so I fixed it myself.
Set #1 from Amazon had a small incandescent lamp and could not be seen at all in daylight. Set #2 from eBay is LED but the PC board inside each unit is not mounted at a consistent angle for optimum brightness so I had to play around with mounting angle position.
One of my friends bought a flashing HyperLight brake light LED and it is awesome - really bright. Similar to police bike flashers. So, my next set will be HyperLights. They don't look stylish but they are really bright, which is really what I'm interested in.

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...nals_front-jpg
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...gnals_rear-jpg

Wolverine 08-15-2011 07:35 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Attachment 25750

Attachment 25751

Attachment 25752

Attachment 25753

Attachment 25754

Attachment 25755

Motrax signals. VERY bright but still not as day-time visible as a bigger light. Looks are perfect IMO.

7moore7 08-15-2011 07:53 PM

I love the way those poke through the fairings, Wolverine. Looks very high-tec without being overbearing.

K30 08-15-2011 08:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have a Volar Integrated LED Taillight($20!) and generic LED turn signals on the rear.

Blinkers
Attachment 33229
Attachment 33230

My front signals are some sort of flush mount that I'd like to replace. They're running lights as well, but that isn't plugged in right now due to issues with the taillight.
Attachment 33231
Attachment 33232

ProfChaos 08-15-2011 09:46 PM

Cat-Eye Front and Rear Turn Signals

I have the following cat-eye flush-mount front turn signals:

Cat-Eye Flush-Mount Front Turn Signals

They are plenty bright, and the standard amber lamps are very affordable and are easy to get at any local motorcycle shop. Also, they are easy to install and are fairly low-maintenance: I bought mine six years ago, and did not need to replace the lamps until this year, at a cost of $1.34 per lamp.

My rear turn signals are as follows:

Mini-Cat-Eye LED Rear Signals

Mine have amber lenses, but they are still the same basic turn signal assembly. They look elegant in proportion to the trimmed rear mud-fender of the bike, and they were fairly easy to install. (I just spliced-in the ball-and-socket connectors from the Crap-Co OEM signals.)

cheers,
Professor Chaos

rafbo 08-16-2011 10:48 PM

This is my brake tail light.

1 Attachment(s)
The tail light I got on eBay and it's not LED, it uses the stock bulbs and stock bulb sockets and wiring. Simply unplug the bulbs form the original tail light and into this new tail light. Easy installation. I'm happy how it looks and it's bright.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...1&d=1313560043

MikeMcW 08-17-2011 11:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=K30;311711]I have a Volar Integrated LED Taillight($20!) and generic LED turn signals on the rear.

Blinkers
Attachment 33228

How do you like your tail light? I think I want to pick on up.

Mattaua 08-17-2011 12:04 PM

I also had the volar integrated tail light on my SHawk. It was a biatch to wire up, but once we got it working it's been great. Here's a video of mine.

Superhawk Integrated LED tail light - YouTube

I have some generic fleabay flushmount front signals. I got lucky, they've been working great for about a year and a half.

MOONSTER 08-17-2011 07:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a view of my tail, er, my bikes tail. The tail lights & blinkers were intergated with the undertail. I added the brake strobe. Front blinkers are flush mounts. Not the best for visibility, but i always ride as if no one can see me anyway.

MikeMcW 08-18-2011 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mattaua (Post 311821)
I also had the volar integrated tail light on my SHawk. It was a biatch to wire up, but once we got it working it's been great. Here's a video of mine.

Superhawk Integrated LED tail light - YouTube

I have some generic fleabay flushmount front signals. I got lucky, they've been working great for about a year and a half.

I really like this tail light! Can you explain the wiring issue?

smokinjoe73 12-06-2011 09:12 AM

I like to be seen

Superhawk lights and speedo - YouTube

It cant be ignored at night and have the eastern beaver high voltage headlight wires & relay

Matt_Hawk 12-12-2011 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 320195)
I like to be seen

Superhawk lights and speedo - YouTube

It cant be ignored at night and have the eastern beaver high voltage headlight wires & relay

Right...I agree with SmokinJoe.

Cage drivers always say " I just didn't see him" when they clip a bike.

It beats me why the first thing a motorcyclist does is whack the nice bright signals off their bike for some small cheap ass dim ones.

If you want good looking LED's then get these DOT rated ones.
K&S Technologies Universal LED Turn Signals - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
They are expensive but they are the brightest ones out there and can been seen from many angles.

Wolverine 12-12-2011 12:19 AM

I took off the oem because in my opinion they are butt ugly. That doesn't mean I simply do not care about safety. My lights are VERY frikin bright, even in daylight. I feel safe w/ 'em. I drove up and down my road w/ my wife watching to see if she could see them and I got her ok, which ain't easy mind you.
$125+ for one pair? Too expensive IMO (and no, you can't put a price on not being seen, just to stop that argument). Do you know how much one super bright LED costs? How do they justify raping you of 125 for 2 signals??

Syclone 12-12-2011 07:58 AM

I switched out my front turn signals for some LP Turn 6 units which looked nice, but I have yet to see something brighter than stock that doesn't cost $150+. I went back to OEM signals both front and rear, but did switch out the rear taillight to the Clear Alternatives LED one with integrated signals.

Revelation 12-26-2011 12:40 PM

http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-3NPLSNZD.jpg
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-KFSMPLVA.jpg
http://www.mijnalbum.nl/Foto-NXX7VJXO.jpg

This is a sexy looking solution?

skokievtr 12-26-2011 02:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
03-1997 75k+ miles

55/75w H4 driven by own headlight harness/relays with high beam on own headlight modulator with infrared daylight-off sensor circuit (H4 plug ceramic)

3rd eye replaced with 12-LED panel

twin 55w halogen driving lights with own wiring/relay

front turn signals/running lights are LP Type 3 3-wire with own QD polarized connections

rear turn signals/running lights are front OEM with 3rd wire run for running light circuit

tail light is gutted OEM housing/lens converted to 10 LED panel (per Haknslash); installed Optima STL-88RCB (have trim template available); wired using OEM bulb sockets modified to accept 3-wires

rear auxiliary neon brake light license plate surround powered by own transformer & relay triggered by brake light circuit (may switch to LED auxiliary brake light)

Mosfet VR-R from late-model Kawasaki run direct to battery with OEM VR-R input wires to main fuse used in reverse to feed auxiliary 6-circuit fused power panel

fused polarized "D" coaxial QD plug wired to battery to power heated vest (with digital t-stat), own mini-mini air pump & to connect to Battery Tender

alarm system with remote & hidden kill switch to CPU

heated grips with digital T-stat

cigarette plug power socket (mainly for Garmin Nuvi 765T)

hard-wired Cobra radar detector with mono ear jack plug fitted Bluetooth (BT) dongle to connect to mini BT stereo receiver (Garmin also paired) connected to noise canceling foam ear buds

electrical system monitored with on-board LED voltmeter

thetophatflash 12-26-2011 02:35 PM

That seems like a heavy load. Any problem with your stator?

skokievtr 12-26-2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by thetophatflash (Post 321605)
That seems like a heavy load. Any problem with your stator?

Low load devices such as the RD & GPS are not an issue but I judiciously select what else I have on depending on priority and monitor the volt meter often. So far, knock on plastic, the stator has been up to the task the last "few" miles LOL

BTW, two "side" questions: Have others found that the starter motor will run with the kill switch off (very handy at times), and that both the high & low beam can be made to go on simultaneously with the high beam switch set between on & off (which I do not recommend doing unless a relay based head light harness is installed, as the high beam switch is not then passing amperage to the bulb)?

geekonamotorcycle 02-13-2012 09:14 AM

I have a volar and this is a video on how to install it
04-07-11 Integrated tail light installation and troubleshooting - YouTube

Sagi3 06-05-2012 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Revelation (Post 321602)

That is really nice. Are they adhesive strips or individually drilled through?

smokinjoe73 06-05-2012 08:12 AM

I went the opposite way of the profiling indescrete look. I want everyone to see me and wanted huge headlight power. I guess to me function over fashion. This way I get to ride another day & push toward 300k street miles.

Superhawk lights - YouTube

Eclectic 06-05-2012 11:02 AM

My mate owns an '08 'blade. He replaced his indo's for little aftermarket units so I offered him a a small price for his stock units. Look much better than the stock ones on the SH and are still bright.

CrankenFine 06-05-2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 334870)
I went the opposite way of the profiling indescrete look. I want everyone to see me and wanted huge headlight power. I guess to me function over fashion. This way I get to ride another day & push toward 300k street miles.

Superhawk lights - YouTube

:iagree:

COLE 06-09-2012 05:13 PM

homemade fender eliminator, led blinkers with resistors
I added picture to my albums, but I can not get picture on here for some reason!

GTS 06-09-2012 09:21 PM

I have the integraded tail lights and I'm not a huge fan, though they were on it when I got it. From what my buddy said they aren't super easy to see if you're not straight on during the day but the turn signals are much easier to see at night.

I've also got LED front signals but they aren't dual elements though so the running lights are not on which I'm not real thrilled with either. I'm thinking of running a relay to them so that they are on as running lights then the turn signal flashes them off.

smokinjoe73 06-10-2012 05:28 AM

I have a thread on here that shows you how to make leds work as running lights. (2 to 3 wire converston) its like $4 of materials.

LuvmyVTR 06-10-2012 05:06 PM

Thought id join the band wagon here. Just purchased the Backoff Wigwag module from Signal dynamics. It pulses your brake lights, stock or LED to get peoples attention.

Signal Dynamics | Signal Dynamics Corporation 1-800-785-1814 | Motorcycle Safety Lights | Break Light Signal Module | Motorcycle LED Lighting | Signal Dynamics - Creator of BackOFF

smokinjoe73 06-10-2012 06:28 PM

So it will do something like this Superhawk lights and speedo - YouTube