Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Rear turn signal update. Adding a bit of brightness.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Squid

fasturd is on a distinguished road
Rear turn signal update. Adding a bit of brightness.

Hello,

I haven't posted much on the Super Hawk forum but I have been a ZX12R and Honda CB SOHC poster for years. Anyway as the current custodian of the ex CLIBY Super Hawk project I wanted to ad a bit the make the bike more usable in its current duties.

Don't worry it will still be a great track weapon and it will start getting some track days pretty soon. But I also ride it quite regularly here in Minneapolis and that has turned it into a true street fighter as in I have to fight for my life every time I ride it!

I decided to add a some more light to the rear turn signals to keep from being run over at intersections and during lane changes. The flush mounts on the carbon tail are cool but not always the most visible. I figured
an extra set of blinking lights couldn't hurt. I also wanted to get rid of the stock front lights as we all know they may be bright but they are not pretty.

I started by making some aluminum brackets as I was going to mount them to the LP. But the brackets were too tall and they showed too much of the hardware and wiring.
As I disassembled bit more of the rear of the bike I found a great mounting location on the LP light. There is a flat surface on the left and right sides. On the inside is a ledge that perfectly captures a 10mm nut. I drilled a hole threaded in the lights and the rest pretty much built itself.

Name:  PartySUPERHAWK012.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  102.1 KB

Name:  PartySUPERHAWK013.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  160.4 KB

Name:  PartySUPERHAWK014.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  144.8 KB

Name:  PartySUPERHAWK016.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  187.8 KB

Not to shabby looking and it really helps ad a bit of conspicuity with out looking like a BMW Ironbutt(er).

The fronts were just as easy. I removed the stock lights and reused the stock mounting points and hardware only I bolted the signals through the factory 10mm hole instead of the other 6mm hole. I routed the wiring through the smaller one. Basically just reversed the factory set up. Make sure you use the Honda steel backing plate or you could crush the fairing mounting points.

Name:  partySUPERHAWK017.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  124.1 KB

Name:  parthSUPERHAWK018.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  23.3 KB

All in all pretty tidy, plenty bright and just a bit safer than a was before.

Good luck.

PS seeing as Cliby spent so much time gutting this Super Chicken for light weight performance I came up with a new name fore it...

Superleggerapollo...
Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Squid

jbs738 is on a distinguished road
Are you selling the old front turn signals?