Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

helibars just an idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Back Marker

blupleous is on a distinguished road
helibars just an idea

i have been admiring so many of the handelbar arrangements and am looking into the helibars. they seem cool. but not cool enough for many here. not enough pull back etc. this has me thinking. since the vfr bars will fit will not also the helibars designed for the vfr fit? if this has already been hashed out i apologize for wasting your time. has anyone ever tried this? this sight states that the vfr bars have greater pull back and the same increase in height.
http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=HB9801

bueler? anyone? bueler? anyone :-D
Old 01-19-2007, 08:01 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blupleous
since the vfr bars will fit will not also the helibars designed for the vfr fit?
I had VFR bars. I'd say VFR helibars will not work (without mods).

Remember, the heli's for the VFR or any bike are higher than stockers, right? Well, stock vfr bars are the limit in terms of clearance issues. You actually foul the hi-beam switch at full lock. Any higher and you'd smack the fairing uppers and not be able to achieve full lock.

I loved the height of my viffer bars but wanted more pull back. But if you stay at that height and add more pull back, you'll run into clearance issues with the tank on full lock. Make sense?

So if you want both, like I did/do, fairing trimming is inevitable.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:16 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
'Bling I just ordered a set of VFR 98-01 Helibars less than a half hour ago for my build on my VTR this spring. There was an article in the achives that these bars went in with NO MODS or clearance issues. If you have experience otherwise I would like to change my order before it gets sent out. I understand that there were issues with the 02-pres Helibars not fitting. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Back Marker

and the superbike bar mod is sweet. i just cant bring myself to cut the fairing. that tahitian blue just says no every time i look at it. so my epiphany was not epiphanious? thanks.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:21 PM
Back Marker

wow i didnt see that nuhawk i must have been typing
Old 01-19-2007, 08:24 PM
MotoGP

OK I'm with ya now, blu! Let Doug write back and we'll get to the bottom of this.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:56 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nuhawk
'Bling I just ordered a set of VFR 98-01 Helibars less than a half hour ago for my build on my VTR this spring.
Because I have never tried the heli's, I can't say with 100% conviction that they won't work.

I can tell you that stock (90-01) VFR bars just kiss the fairing with the switchgear at full lock. Anything higher, and I ASSUME the heli's are higher (why else would they make 'em LOL), and you'll be cutting plastic for clearance. If they don't have a restocking fee and shipping is reasonable, you might want to gamble and see.

Yes, 02 VFR heli's won't fit at all because they are for 43mm forks not the 41mm size of the 'hawk.

Another note: depending on what year of vfr bar (maybe all), you do have to remove the locking pins as they don't line up. The heli's IIRC don't use locking pins either. It really doesn't matter. In the real world, a hard enough fall bends the soft aluminum bar enough to dent the tank with the switch gear housings.(BTDT)
Old 01-19-2007, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

My good habits are paying off. As I read these posts in the archive if it's a mod that I'm probably going to do I print it and throw it in a file down in the shop. And just to show you guys I'm a good sport I'm going to go get it. BRB
Old 01-19-2007, 09:15 PM
MotoGP

Guys, I didn't have it after all - I will see if I can find the post. Sorry!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:17 PM
MotoGP

Nuhawk,

IIRC, don't you have a VFR? If it's not a 6gen, you could pull those bars and put them on the 'hawk and install the vfr heli's on, well...... the vfr!
Old 01-19-2007, 09:22 PM
MotoGP

To further muddy the waters, here's a pic of my 6gen vfr with a superbike bar mod. I didn't have to trim fairings for it tho'. And I just got a set of cbr1100xx bars for it that are lower than the stock vfr clipons for when I want to be rickyroadracer. :-)

I also found an old pic with a left vfr bar and a right vtr bar as a visual aid comparison. Notice that I had the superhawk bar raised higher on the fork tube than standard and that the vfr bar has a slightly flatter angle. HTH some.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:50 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superbling
Nuhawk,

IIRC, don't you have a VFR? If it's not a 6gen, you could pull those bars and put them on the 'hawk and install the vfr heli's on, well...... the vfr!
Ya know, Doug, I was thinking just that BUT things have not gotten off to a rip and tear for business yet this year and I really want to bring up the Superhawk. It has been flying from the rafters of the shop for over a month and I want to get it back on the road. I looked through all the posts and I think I misread. The guys were talking about using the 98-01 STOCK VFR bars not the helibars. I sent them (IndySuperBike) an email to change the order to VTR helibars instead. I don't really need the helibars for the viffer - the riding position there is ok - could be better but I think a Sargent is more in order than bars for the VFR. I see a set of Helibars has popped up on the forum. For the money that's a good deal. In my digging I found a post by someone who had bought a set of Helibars and they were the same geometry as the stockers. BTW the part # for the VFR bars is only one number less than the VTR. The measurements must be very close.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:31 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Nuhawk,

Doug, in our offline discussions about the Superhawk, I thought you wanted it to be more on the sporty side, with the Viffer being closer to touring than sport. So what's with the Helis? You ain't that old, are ya? Some of you guys need to spend some quality touring time on a 600RR or the like. Then you'll really appreciate how relaxed the VTR really is. The VFR to me is downright "sit up and beg" position.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:08 AM
MotoGP

I'm just trying to do something about the heals of my palms aching so bad. I don't need to be "up" so much as a little different angle. The stockers drop off too much and the Vortex are the same. While I got the whole front end tore apart I thought it was a good opportunity to do some different bars. I've read all about riders' hands going to sleep or going numb - mine don't do that but it's the heal of my hand right below my pinkie finger. The big fat part of the palm - that's where it aches. And yeah, Dave Wicks and I are going for the continental age record for Superhawk riders. He's ahead - for now!
Old 01-20-2007, 07:29 AM
Back Marker

maybe ill just go with ape hangers and some of these

http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/sbk.cfm

nahh! i went and sat on her this morning with my scale in hand. checking full lock and the like. (not having ridden in two weeks) wow those honda engineers sure did a nice job with this. i will be saying this until my first ride of any real distance. has anyone here tried the spiegler setup. check the photo. it doesnt seem like the fairing has been modded to much
Old 01-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Back Marker

oops that link doesnt take you directly. have to choose make and model
Old 01-20-2007, 07:44 AM
MotoGP

Good morning, blu! That's the same setup that Superbling did with the bar risers being drilled into the upper triple clamp. The one you found is quicker, easier, and prettier but does the same thing. Then you can choose from all the bars out there - from dirt bikes to ATV's j/k. 'Bling has posted some pictures of his mod and it looks good. I don't want to go that far. I've actually taken small blocks and put them under my hands and it works. If the stockers would come straight off the triple I would be OK. Instead they drop an inch at the end and that's what I am trying to get rid of.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Back Marker

may your fasteners never come undone. unless you want them to

awe rae bes