Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Good idea, or bad idea

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Back Marker

Shawn Torpey is on a distinguished road
Good idea, or bad idea

I've finally decided to jet the carbs. I got them off and it wasn't that bad, got everything ready to go back on, but when I had to pull them from the insulators they were pretty tight. I know I'll probably have to pull them again to tune, so I was thinking of putting a thin coat of oil on the insulators where the carbs slide in to make things a little a little easier next time. I was hoping somebody has tried this and can tell me there horror or success story to save me some troubles. I don't see it as being any problem, but I hate learning the hard way.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:00 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
The first rule of the road is don't guebber. A lite coat with a qtip or a little stp on a fingertip helps likin' parts fit together. If there's one major error with young wrenches it's the trial fit. I'm a firm believer in "preparing" the parts. Clean the parts, lube the parts noting any harsh edges. When assembling the parts, I expect a "drop in" fit when the parts first rough in. Especially with front ends - do a loose assembly and then shake it with the front tire in place as you tighten all the bolts. Do this a little at a time and if it ain't bent it will be the sweetest spot your bike got.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:50 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
a little soap water works well - just restrict it to the very edge. Personally, it is a tight fit but workign the carbs right to left usually does it fine. Warming them up before reinstall with a hairdryer is also a very sure fire way without adding any lubes at all.

bill