General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

is this a real bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:01 AM
Squid

snowman666 is on a distinguished road
is this a real bad idea?

the hawk is due for some new shoes, got the pirelli diablos deal from cyclegear. here's my question: can i use ratchet straps to the garage rafters to get the bike up to take off the wheels? where can i attach the straps to the bike safely? is this just a dumb idea asking for trouble or has anyone done this, successfully?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:08 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Save time, and headache, go buy some stands...not that much online...Get a set for about a hundred bucks on Ebay...they pay for themselves pretty fast...
Old 06-04-2007, 06:30 AM
Back Marker

seaton001 is on a distinguished road
I second the motion passed by the Distinguished Resident Evil Post *****. Stands are worth the money for working on your bike. Cycle gear used to have decent rear stands for like $60 to $70 bucks. The fronts tend to be more expensive. Not sure how quick you want this done, but you might be able to work a deal with them at the local shop if you are buying both.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:24 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
but more to the question. It should be fine to use the approach you mentioned. A lot of people use that suspension method to do fork work, engine work etc. Just be sure you are in the 'attic' to hook up a stable suspension point in the ceiling. Doing one wheel at a time to you have some stability. Remove the seat and the tank to mount to the frame: near steering head at front and near where rear subframe mounts in back. I wouldn't recommend using the subframe to lift the bike however. Leave some large hooks in the ceiling so you can use that technique for other work down the road. when you have some time/money get a stand like suggested
Old 06-04-2007, 07:44 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by snowman666
the hawk is due for some new shoes, got the pirelli diablos deal from cyclegear. here's my question: can i use ratchet straps to the garage rafters to get the bike up to take off the wheels? where can i attach the straps to the bike safely? is this just a dumb idea asking for trouble or has anyone done this, successfully?
I do it all the time. It's better than stands for doing front end work.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I've never had to suspend the whole bike with tie downs but I have done one end numerous times and for days on end. No problems. I'm talking heavy duty ratchet style tie down here.

I hooked on to the subframe cross brace as I didn't have passenger pegs at the time. For the front, I attached to the small frame cross braces which allowed the straps to barely clear the fairing.

NOTE: break loose all bolts before suspending.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Squid

marcus996
ITs FINE

it's fine to do it that way, i did it just a week ago, i have an i bolt in a crossbeam and i just hook up some of the heavy duty straps to some handle bar straps and for the rear to the subframe is fine, i also have the stands, but it seems a little easier to lift the front end with straps then having a stand in your way. gl.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:10 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Best combo is stands and straps..... get the bike up onthe stands, pu thte straps on and tighten slighlty.... then slowly remove the stands... when you wnat to get it back down, put it back onthe stands and remove the straps. Mine has been off and on like this for 4 months during the RC fork swap.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I could see your point with suspending it to do major work, but for something as minor as tires....The stands are much easier, but to each his own!