Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Firestorm Scrambler??

Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Squid

quillinsmat is on a distinguished road
Firestorm Scrambler??

Hey i was in a yamaha dealer the other day and saw the new bolt.

I thought it was a good looking cruiser, but not really the most amazing thing out there. Then i went home and checked it out on the net.... then i stumbled on this!

SO FREAKIN AWESOME!!
Now i've got another thread with my current bike build and i was thinking of doing a bobber/chopper sort of thing like this
but now that i've seen the scrambler idea i'm wondering what you guys think. Is the superhawk going to be able to handle knobby tires and unpaved roads, is it going to be way too powerful for loose gravel? is it going to look like a steaming three coiler planted on the floor of my garage?

If someone could photochop a picture together that would be cool
Old 12-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
For the love of...PLEASE don't bob the seat on the Superhawk. Pretty please?
Old 12-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
My other machine with my VTR here is an XL1000V Varadero. Same motor, but injected in the Vara.

This model is commonly called "the gravel road Gold Wing". Mine's been clocked at 210km/hr (about 130mph) on a gravel road.

You can strip a lot of stuff off the Vara and end up with something better, easier - long travel suspension etc. Lots of the European Varadero owners put knobby tires on and go touring in North African desert lands.

Name:  PetesBlackBikes001.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  112.4 KB

However, as always when you strip down these things to bob or scramblerise or retro cafe them, there's the quandary of what to do with the bloody radiators.

Last edited by PJay; 12-06-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:26 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I like the look of the Yammy, sort of a modern XT500.

Good for cruising the back roads.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:21 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Biggest hurdle I can see is ground clearance. You can always stuff the radiators in the tail
Old 12-06-2013, 08:34 AM
Squid

quillinsmat is on a distinguished road
The radiators sure are a pain in the kiester. I've got a donor sv1000 rad that I've been trying to mock up with a couple fans. I think I'm on my third Styrofoam template, all trimmed In different ways and still can't seem to find any room in the front with the forks collapsed. My next thought had been to bring the triple clamp all the way to the top of the fork tubes to try and get a little more clearance. I know it will bugger the handling a little but it should get less twitchy not more right.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Squid

hellboy7 is on a distinguished road
130 mph on a gravel road gotta be a little bit dangerous.. Whew
Old 01-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
Depends on the gravel road.

I do a lot of backroads and offroad touring on my various bikes - and occasionally ride my VTR on gravel, as well - so I'm used to it.

I grew up (to the extent I ever did) on a farm at the far end of 40 miles of gravel road.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Back Marker

brothermike is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PJay
Depends on the gravel road.

I do a lot of backroads and offroad touring on my various bikes - and occasionally ride my VTR on gravel, as well - so I'm used to it.

I grew up (to the extent I ever did) on a farm at the far end of 40 miles of gravel road.
"40 miles of gravel road". I had to think about that for a second. A trip into town was probably a big deal, not only to be going but to get there.. eta I like the scrambler.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
For the love of...PLEASE don't bob the seat on the Superhawk. Pretty please?
HAHA! I feel you... My 2 cents- I think much of the problem is the "bobber" thing (very much like the "streetfighter" thing) is SO overdone by every fool with no taste with a hacksaw and a can of flat black spray paint who either wrecked his bike or watched too much tv. Search "bobber" or "streetfighter" on craigslist and you'll find MAYBE one or two that are actually nice bikes. Everything else is a hacked up shitbox that became the quick route to zero resale value. Yes the really cool well built ones are out there, but so many are garbage.

A superhawk scrambler? Hell yeah! But I think the right way would be like one of the TL1000 engined (I think I also remember seeing one with vtr power) dirt track racers I've seen. So basically you're just using the engine in a custom frame. Check this one out...

RocketGarage Cafe Racer: TL 1000 Flat Track
Old 01-13-2014, 09:39 AM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
FZ1 Converted to Dual Sport - Your Jap Multi Conversion? Home Page.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:56 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
R1 offroad LOL so anything's possible

Old 01-13-2014, 01:08 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
SuperHawk ADV bike - the "Dirty Bird" - SuperHawk Forum

Turning a Sportbike into an Adventure Bike (an adventure in itself)
Old 01-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
HAHA! I feel you... My 2 cents- I think much of the problem is the "bobber" thing (very much like the "streetfighter" thing) is SO overdone by every fool with no taste with a hacksaw and a can of flat black spray paint who either wrecked his bike or watched too much tv. Search "bobber" or "streetfighter" on craigslist and you'll find MAYBE one or two that are actually nice bikes. Everything else is a hacked up shitbox that became the quick route to zero resale value. Yes the really cool well built ones are out there, but so many are garbage.
Yeah, I totally agree with that!! Every time I hear "streetfighter" I think "crashed- missing parts and nothing was fixed". There are a few that don't fit into that, but they are the exception to the rule.
And the bobber Mad Max reject bikes look even worse to me.

But a good scrambler/tracker conversion is the bomb!! I was looking at doing the Yamaha 650 tracker conversion until I realized how pricey that hold XS650 twin had become... primarily due to it's popularity with the bobber crowd, I think.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:29 PM
Back Marker

slo1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
I think much of the problem is the "bobber" thing (very much like the "streetfighter" thing) is SO overdone by every fool with no taste with a hacksaw and a can of flat black spray paint who either wrecked his bike or watched too much tv.
LMAO perfectly put "Did you customize that yourself, or did you buy it all Phuct up ?"

Last edited by slo1; 01-14-2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: political correctness..........