Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

side mirror with turn signal Guestions!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Squid

Myhairym0nk3y is on a distinguished road
side mirror with turn signal Guestions!!!

Looking for new side mirrors while looking for ones with built in turn signals I'm noticing a lot of bad reviews saying once in you can't adjust them well enough to see behind you with anyone one having this issue or do you have a link to ones you bought that work great. Also what's the difficulty rating for install? Below is a link of some I'm looking to buy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BYOHVJE/ref=pd_aw_sbs_3?pi=SL500_SS115
Old 01-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Those look just like the ones on my Hawk. There's a thread on it here.

They're not huge, but I can see behind me. Stems could be a little longer.
The only complaint I've had so far is they don't support a helmet when I hang my helmet there after riding.
And I haven't even tried to tighten them up yet, so that's no big deal.

Last edited by FTL900; 01-17-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:24 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
HairyMonkey, I had two sets of those mirrors and from what I gathered from my experience, they just plain suck. Poor build quality and the mirror was wavy, making it hard to actually see what was behind you. Remember, this was just my experience.

I ended up using OEM mirrors from a GSX-R. Several on the forum have installed them and they are fantastic. I believe there was kind of a "how to" several years ago.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:41 AM
Squid

Myhairym0nk3y is on a distinguished road
CruxGNZ how hard was it to wire in the gsx-R mirror. Did they fit into the same holes or did you need to drill some out?
Old 01-18-2014, 11:09 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Wiring them is just the same as wiring in turn signals. As far as installation, it is completely custom. It is not a bolt on modification.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:03 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
As stated the mounting of the gsx-r mirrors is a custom job.
Before installing the gsx-r mirrors I had previously replaced the stockers with a set of Fazer copies. They were inexpensive the quality was good for the price and fixed the view to the rear over the stock mirrors. As a side note the "glass" in the Fazer mirrors I purchased (YMMV) is as good as the ones from a gsx-r. Vibrated less as well.
The reason I mention the Frazer mirrors is the mounts are a direct bolt up to the SH. I used these mounts to do the install of the gsx-r mirrors. This involved removing the mounts on the gsx-r mirrors (very easy) and using the Fazer mounts. Now this is where the customizing comes in as the angle of the pivot point of the stalk on gsx-r mirrors is not even close to right. A little time with a bench grinder on both the stalk and the Fazer mount will correct this. It is possible to ruin both pieces, so go slow and test fit till the angles are right. Now comes the hard part, getting the second one to match the first.
I used the 2-3 wire mod so I would have running lights as well.