General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawk/Firestorm vs ZX12R

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Squid

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Superhawk/Firestorm vs ZX12R

Probably a daft question, but could anyone (who's ridden both) give me an idea of the comparison between a Superhawk/Firestorm bike and a Kawasaki ZX12R machine?

I'm 6ft 5" and again and again the ZX12R is recommended as THE sports/tourer for tall people.

Must admit, I do LOVE my Firestorm, Also I've changed the sprockets (15 front - 43 rear) I'm just wondering What the ZX12R would be like in comparison?

Physically Bigger with much more top end power I'm guessing.

I can't imagine any more low end power that my Hawk/Storm gives me now (with gearing mods)

Just want to settle my mind on this issue.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:30 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
ZX12:1.5 times more power, a shrieking top end, more weight, less nimble, more maintenance (tires, chains, sprockets, brake pads).
Old 09-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by AZZKIKER
ZX12:1.5 times more power, a shrieking top end, more weight, less nimble, more maintenance (tires, chains, sprockets, brake pads).
Thanks for the quick reply.

1.5x more power = Always interesting, though of course not needed

Less nimble, I can understand as It's a bigger lump (not sure how much pysical weight difference there is)

Take the point on the consumables if you use the power.

I have both a TDM and a Superhawk (Firestorm) and to be honest, they are both great around country lanes, and general roads, but I'd not rate either of them really as a mile eater.

Driving along motorways at 80mph (ish) I'd not class as particularly pleasent on either bike. Whilst, they will both obviously do it, no problem, they just don't feel planted to the road.

Hear stories from people with the BIG bikes, ZX12R's, Hayabusa's, Blackbirds, Pan Europeans etc etc, saying how they cruise relaxed at 100 or 130mph all day long. (slight exageration but you get the point)

If I tried to do anything near 100 on my bikes, I'd be feeling like I was being blasted by the wind, getting blown about by sidewinds and not very planted on the road.

Wondering if a BIGGER bike helps with this?
Old 09-23-2006, 12:47 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Tempest
Thanks for the quick reply.

1.5x more power = Always interesting, though of course not needed

Less nimble, I can understand as It's a bigger lump (not sure how much pysical weight difference there is)

Take the point on the consumables if you use the power.

I have both a TDM and a Superhawk (Firestorm) and to be honest, they are both great around country lanes, and general roads, but I'd not rate either of them really as a mile eater.

Driving along motorways at 80mph (ish) I'd not class as particularly pleasent on either bike. Whilst, they will both obviously do it, no problem, they just don't feel planted to the road.

Hear stories from people with the BIG bikes, ZX12R's, Hayabusa's, Blackbirds, Pan Europeans etc etc, saying how they cruise relaxed at 100 or 130mph all day long. (slight exageration but you get the point)

If I tried to do anything near 100 on my bikes, I'd be feeling like I was being blasted by the wind, getting blown about by sidewinds and not very planted on the road.

Wondering if a BIGGER bike helps with this?
hey you all forgot the most important thing...............BIGGER TICKETS!!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Squid

Just read specs and seems a ZX12R is 38lbs heavier and 1 inch longer.

SuperHawk
Power: 104.59 hp @ 9000 RPM
Torque: 68.6 ft.lb @ 7000 RPM

Kawasaki ZX-12R
Power : 159.8hp @ 10250 rpm
Torque : 91.4lb @ 7750 rpm

Part of me thinks, wow, another part of me thinks, no, I love the V-Twin, what's the point in all that complexity for a un-usable power difference.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Squid

FoaStorm is on a distinguished road
Tempest. What are you doing on here as well??
Old 09-23-2006, 02:17 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by FoaStorm
Tempest. What are you doing on here as well??
Cos there are some great people on here, with often different opinions of things to UK Firestorm Owners.

The ZX12R (from another forum I've been on a while) seems to have a great US following (more so than in the UK it seems) so interested to hear opinions from the other side of the water
Old 09-23-2006, 02:33 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Another possibility: the Suzuki bandit 1200. Old tech but a GREAT riding position that's roomy too. Have to add your own bags.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
That 38lbs is going to feel like more than 38. The 12 is a lot wider between the legs and along with that longer wheelbase you have different geometry. Handling will be slower. From what I hear it's a little top-heavy too.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:24 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I sold my ZX12 earlier in the year and I still have my superhawk. For starters superhawks are not for everyone, not nearly as much so as most 4 cyl repli racers are anyway...None of my friends ever really cared for it. Who was it that said "if you like that sort of thing you'll find that you like that sort of thing." Kinda like owning a Buell sorta. I love my superhawk-it's just kinda "me" a little bit. Maybe when Buell/Harley finally stops screwing around and puts the V-rod motor in something sporty (or Victory builds a sportbike which I just read is a future possibility) maybe I'll consider that. I like that they are pretty rare, I like the sound, I like that I can park with a crowd of a couple hundred sportbikes and I'm the only one there. That aside the ZX12 I owned, a mildly modded '00, was probably the finest motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden. Yes it's big but the size aside, it just did just about everything else better than other bikes I've been around. The power is insane-maybe a little overkill for the street. The brakes are too-like dropping an anchor compared to my superhawk. And I also thought the bike in the candy apple green the '00's came it is stunning. Had more than one person ask me "where did you get it painted?" I guess what I'm saying is my superhawk is plenty fast enough and it's going to come down to what's important to you and personal preference. Shoot me an email and I'd be happy to answer ANY questions you have regarding, well, at least my 2 cents worth regarding the 2 bikes. The ZX12 is an amazing motorcycle though, and yes I think the zx14 is a little fugly, not so much so in black.

Last edited by Wolverine; 05-23-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:29 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
And yes, especially at your size, and mine too (5'11") the ZX12 is a pretty comfy ride too, more so than the superhawk. The superhawk WILL feel like a Sportster when you hit the throttle after riding and ZX12, and that's at ANY rpm. And yes I feel that ALOT of the time 170-175 rwhp with minor mods is overkill and usually not even accessible unless you're an *******-which is a category I don't feel most of the folks on here fall into (although it is an AMAZING feeling it you have an open highway, or once again if you're an *** and just want to torch the tire at 40mph on a dry road). You will learn to be easier w/ the throttle, like riding a 250 2-stroke dirtbike. The superhawk has been a little easier/more accessible in certain areas to service/work on(a battery should never be as big of a pain in the *** to access as it is on the Kawi). Yeah the superhawk is nice and narrow and nimble. I think they are both beautifully designed motorcycles and are fantastic at what they were designed for. Ok off to bed as I had a surfboard punch a hole in my ankle and I can barely walk and need to get some rest. Again email me if I can be of any help.