General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Yamaha R6 vs Firestorm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Squid

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Yamaha R6 vs Firestorm?

Just wondering (though of course I should not even ask such questions)

Does anyone know what a Yamaha R6 (2000 ish model) is like in comparison to a Firestorm (or Superhawk in the US)

The obvious or course, is we're looking at 600cc vs 1000cc.
And 4 cylinders vs 2 cylinders.

I seem to have read something about the R6 being bike of the year (during some years/times) so that sounds good.

I guess the R6 is lighter, and handles very good.

But then, would you have to rev like mad on a R6 to get the power on stream, whereas just opening the throttle (at almost any revs) makes the Storm Storm forwards

I have heard the Firestorm performs (in some ways) the same as a 600.

Just Wondering how they compare?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
I am a little quicker on an R6/600rr with a road with long straits with an occasional corner thrown in, but if it is a canyon run or curvy road where you can't burn through the rpm then I'm way faster on the 'hawk.

Either way it ALWAYS feels way more comfortable on the hawk even when going to redline, where it feels like your really pushing it to keep up in the powerband of the 600's. I suppose you could get used to it though and be quick.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Back Marker

Jake D is on a distinguished road
I think you have it about right. Now, I haven't ridden an R6, but I have ridden a Yamaha YZF600R. The 600R is only like 6 mph slower than the R6, but has about 20 less horse power. That said, I don't think it pulls near as hard as the Super Hawk. There is a rush of power up top, but you have to be willing to attract a lot of attention to get to it. There is a distinctive wail that is associated with the rush of power.
The R6 will have better forks, I assume (since the YZF does, IMHO). The Inline-4 bikes seem wide to me. The rev really fast and are like a mixed up race horse, all tweaked out on crack. But they run like stink.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Squid

Hawk 996 is on a distinguished road
In the 1/4 mile, both riders having same experience level, the R6 will run a faster E.T. The Hawk will probablly get a better 60 ft, but usually the 600 will catch up in the end.

In the twisties i romp on 600's, run with 750's and give 1000 I4's a run for there money. Maybe im not coming across very many good riders, but thats what ive come across

Straight line top end, dunno, but id imagine the 600's would win, just cause they rev higher...
Old 09-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Squid

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Cheers for the replies so far.

Sorry if the R6 is not a U.S model (I'm not sure if it is?)
Like the Superhawk being called the Firestorm in the UK

I guess I was kinda expecting what I've heard.
Yes, the R6 will pip a Superhawk (even giving away 400cc) but it has to be worked harder to get the power and keep it there.

Where on the SHawk you just open the throttle and it pulls.

For someone like myself, who (as I'm just back to biking) I perhaps feel the hawk lets you get away with a lot of wrong things, as you can pull from the wrong revs.

Also I do expect the R6 would corner a bit better.

I've not ridden a modern multi, so I can't yet appreciate how much they lack the Hawks power when they are not in their power range.

Having said that, I do know there are multi's out there that will blow the Hawk out the water at any rev range.

R1, GSXR1000 type stuff I guess.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:50 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
On the road, it's all about the rider. Any sportbike made in the last 15 years is more than adequate for carving corners at sane (and even insane) speeds. I ride around the outside of guys on GSXRs and other race replicas all the time on my Hawk, just like I did on my old F2. The wonderful low end power of the Hawk does make it forgiving and easy to go fast on mountain roads. Out of the box, the R6 and other race reps are better suited for track duty than the Hawk.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:14 AM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Jake D
I think you have it about right. Now, I haven't ridden an R6, but I have ridden a Yamaha YZF600R. The 600R is only like 6 mph slower than the R6, but has about 20 less horse power. That said, I don't think it pulls near as hard as the Super Hawk. There is a rush of power up top, but you have to be willing to attract a lot of attention to get to it. There is a distinctive wail that is associated with the rush of power.
The R6 will have better forks, I assume (since the YZF does, IMHO). The Inline-4 bikes seem wide to me. The rev really fast and are like a mixed up race horse, all tweaked out on crack. But they run like stink.

the 600Rs had approx 88-90RWHP, the early R6s had about 94-96RWHP.

The R6 will be a little faster around the track with an expert rider, but even an average rider will have an easier time on the hawk, and might actually be faster.
The more race oriented a bike is, the harder it will be to get it going fast.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:30 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
R6's are just awful. Way too peaky. They are like riding an old dirtbike before they started putting power valves on them. The VTR eats them alive on the street. On the track where the revs never drop below a certain point they are fast. Otherwise they are painfully slow, especially for the 200+ pound riders like myself.