Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Finally-A mirror solution!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 01:11 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I have the genmar spacers, they do help but I am not 100% happy with the look.

Originally Posted by CB160
Anybody try those mirror extenders ( base spacers). Are they any good.?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by CB160
HAWKRIDER:
Thx for reply. I assume Herve's are not currently available
Sorry, nope. Don was a lister back in the RunLevelZero days. He did a short run of these, maybe 20 or so, and they all sold quick. They wouldn't be hard to make if you had a CNC, and after anodizing you could probably sell them for $40 and make a few bucks. I have not the resources though, nor any machinist friends.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:02 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Sorry, nope. Don was a lister back in the RunLevelZero days. He did a short run of these, maybe 20 or so, and they all sold quick. They wouldn't be hard to make if you had a CNC, and after anodizing you could probably sell them for $40 and make a few bucks. I have not the resources though, nor any machinist friends.
Yeah, I tried the R6 thing & they were fine. But I missed the unique VTR teardrop shaped mirrors. So I got a set of the anodized extenders from Don & they are great. Rear visibility is excellent... too bad they are no longer available.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Squid

CB160 is on a distinguished road
Thanx Rick B! Think I'll take the FZ-1 mirror road .Don't mind looking like an ant, as long as I can see.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:15 PM
Squid

10-4. Has anybody done the Spiegler top fork handlebar conversion. It replaces top triple tree w/ standard barmount one, so's the old and stiff can sit up straight behind Superbike bars. I hear you've got to mod the fairing and windshield for clearance, though. Feedback appreciated for i go to choppin' mine up.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:29 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
heres some mirrors that I was looking into.(no pun intended) But I cant seem to find the website, I'll keep tryin . I like them cuz they are similar shape. Cant speak of the elbow view maybe someone else has tried them and can inform us?:-)
Old 01-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
found it , http://www.speedzilla.com/images/superhawk-mirror.jpg
Old 02-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Squid

Bluerope1 is on a distinguished road
R6 Raven mirrors fit like a glove. I just bought a brand new pair off of ebay and they took 3 minutes to install. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Squid

Marvy! Got some Emgos for FZ1 from Flanders to try out.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Squid

klicks is on a distinguished road
will these likely work on the superhawk

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...93617094QQrdZ1 I am looking for some mirrors.. I am a bit of a wide body.. and can't see a damn thing right now with stock mirrors
Old 02-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Squid

Someone else had posted and sed FZ1 mirrors would work, as would late model R6. As I've sed, I got some Emgo FZ1's from Flanders to try out. Them stems is long! Or you could go for bar-ends, If you like 'em. I hates'em!
Old 02-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Back Marker

joshn569 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fred z
I have read about some Superhawk owners trying Yamaha R1 mirrors in an attempt to get better rear vision. Unfortunately, it seems that those do not work very well, as the angle is incorrect and you end up looking back at yourself instead of behind the bike.

Last week, I spent a few days helping my Honda/Yamaha dealer to uncrate and set up several new bikes. I didn't get any Superhawks to set up, but did get to do a 2005 Yamaha R6. I noticed that the mirrors had the same bolt spacing as the SH and the stalks were longer plus the mirrors were larger. Since part of the setup is to install the mirrors, I borrowed one of the R6 mirrors for a few minutes and tried it out on my SH, which was sitting right outside of the shop. The 5 minute task showed me that it not only fit perfectly, but afforded a very good view behind me. I wasted no time in getting to the parts department and ordered a pair of these.

Today they arrived and I mounted them on my Superhawk and am very pleased with the results I'll include a few pics so you can judge for yourself. You still get a good view of your elbows, just as with the stock SH mirrirs, but you also see a lot more of the road behind you. I think it is a dramatic difference and cures one of the few shortcomings of my wonderful VTR.

By the way the part numbers are 5SL-26290-00-00 and 5SL-26280-00-00. It looks like the mirrors from 2003-2005 are the same number.
i just put on a set of 04 r6 mirrors, they look great, but i havent rode the bike yet to see how they work
Old 02-17-2007, 08:58 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
what's the problem here? I thought the 'Hawk's have better than average mirrors for a sportbike. Hell, I don't just see my elbows in my mirrors, I can see my passenger's elbows !!
Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 AM
Back Marker

fuzzuki is on a distinguished road
I'm getting a set this week. Hope it works for me.

I already have a good view behind me. I guess I'm a smaller guy.
But I would love to see more behind me.

You gotta keep an eye out for them coppers.

rob
Old 02-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Squid

If'n thez awachin, an you ain't doin nuthin, ALL THEY GET IS PRACTICE!
Old 03-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Livin it up!
Squid

BMiller is on a distinguished road
Hell yeah! Glad I stumbled across this post........I was about to sell off my set of '05 R6 mirrors, and the Hawk needs new mirrors...........voila!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Squid

Daywalker
Cool

Originally Posted by Monomaster
I bought these Avanti Carbo Mirrors...

The surface area of the mirror is longer than the standard mirror, so you end up looking below your arm (under the elbow) to see behind instead of trying to look around the outside.

You can see the shape of the mirror here....

I like these. I've seen a deal that just extends the stock mirror outwards. I like the shape of the stock mirrors, just not the view my short self gets.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Squid

joe6pack is on a distinguished road
bar-end mirror mod

I had some extras that came with my bike, among them a pair of CRG bar-end mirrors and a spare set of stock handlebars and end weights. I had the ends of the the weights turned down to 7/8" to accept the mirrors, only to find that the inner part of the bar turns, presumably to have the internal weighted rubber cancel some vibration, and you have to hold the weights as you tighten them against engagement dogs on each. Clever design, but attaching mirrors to something that turns in the handlebar is impractical without further modification. My solution to this (and to alot of other things over the years) was JB Weld - I clamped the bars in a vice with the ends up and drizzled some JB in there and allowed it to cure under a heat lamp. The epoxy traveled pretty far down inside the bar before it set up, allowing for an additional application, this time filling the space between the inner and outer parts of the bar right to the end. I then got some 3mm aluminum scrap and got to "fabercatin" some block off plates, loosely the size of the rubber pads that were under the stock mirrors but are now under the plates. The mounting studs of the stock mirrors are 20mm in length, with a 9mm collar at the base which I approximated with some 3/8" steel spacers from the True Value, hacksawed and Dremeled to 9mm's. Using 20mm stainless steel button head allan bolts everything just sort of fell back together, using the stock acorn nuts. It's sanded aluminum now, but the local chopper shop said they would powder coat the plates and bolts heads black for me for $20 bucks next time they have their oven fired up. I think it cleans up the lines of the motorcycle nicely, and once they are black will look pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails Finally-A mirror solution!-img_0273_1.jpg   Finally-A mirror solution!-img_0271.jpg   Finally-A mirror solution!-img_0267.jpg   Finally-A mirror solution!-img_0272.jpg   Finally-A mirror solution!-img_0265.jpg  

Old 01-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Squid

rrbarna is on a distinguished road
Hey guys,

Here's a link to a thread I just started on Mirror Extenders I'm making...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=13645

Cheers,

Barna