Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

I NEED A STORAGE SOLUTION!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
I NEED A STORAGE SOLUTION!

Here's my dilemna, I commute to work 100 miles each way from Jacksonville to the New Poker Room in Ocala/Gainsville. Heh, no I don't do it everyday, but I do it twice a week, once there, and once back at the end of the week. Thing is, I have a backpack and I can store my laptop, and 3 days worth of clothes(3 pairs of pants, shirts, underwear and socks), but it's PACKED. WOrks fine, but, it leaves me with no space for rain gear. No sense in wearing it if it's not raining. The rain gear isn't just the nylon type stuff, well, the pants are, but the jacket is a good rainjacket with insulation, etc.

So, I went back to my navy days and got a duffelbag (navy duffelbag):

But the problem is, it's TOO big. Since it's a top load type, and it's not full, at times it catches air and acts like a parachute. Not so much a parachute, but it grabs air and wobbles me some like bad turbulence. So that's out of the question, cause it SUCKED wearing it for the 100 mile trek.

So I've been thinking a tank bag for my raingear and laptop and keeping the backpack for my clothes, or if possible, use JUST the tankbag. I've also been contemplating just bungeecords on the tail around a bag, but how does that affect tire wear and "wheelies"....and fwiw, I DON'T like wheelies, lol. So yeah, I'm not fond of weight on the back, but is it that bad? no sense in spending cash if I don't have to spend it. I can just use a bag I have here and bungee the crap out of it???

Lastly, I don't have much to spend. I know I should spend money on something like this getting used, but the honest truth is, I'm only using it for THIS commute, which in about 4-6 months will no longer be an issue as I will be moving to Ocala. If I ever ride the bike otherwise, it won't be used.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:07 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
Strapping to the tail is a good option... And of course weight is depending on how much you carry, but honestly, i would stick with the back pack, and just add another bag on the rear set/tail area for rain gear and supplies...

I've of course never strapped anything to my superhawk as i haven't had a chance yet, but have biked with things strapped to the tail plenty of times.. don't really notice them other than if they touch your back...
Old 02-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, unless you load up the bag with bricks it won't make any noticable difference with a standard sportsbag bungied to the pillion seat... After all it's supposed to be another person sitting there...

Before I got bags I did just the same... a big bag and bungies, combined with a rather flat backpack with laptop and such (to bulky and the two bags interfere when you are upright)...
Old 02-10-2008, 05:15 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I got an Icon tankbag on Ebay and I can fit enough clothes in it for a couple of days. I even use it when I'm not riding. It can be converted to a backpack as well. Joe Rocket makes a strap on tail bag that's pretty convenient too. I prefer the tank bag especially for long rides cause I can rest my chest on it. It is not affected at all by wheelies, the magnets are VERY strong. For the price, its definitely one of the most useful motorcycle accessories I've ever bought.

Now if I can just fab a sissy bar to the Hawk for that old bag I used on my Harley...
Old 02-10-2008, 05:20 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I just run with a tank bag when i am on extended rides and want to take the Rain gear.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:23 PM
MotoGP

There are also tank bags with magnets that can be strapped to the rear if you want to... mine came with 2 detachable bottom parts one straps one magnets... and it's a rudimentary backpack aswell... and it was dirt chep...
Old 02-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
Yeah, I'm thinking the tank bag is the best option right now, cause the 100 miles is ALL country straight boring roads, so being able to rest on it would be SWEET. ANybody familiar with the FLorida area, my commute is 21->215->16->301->318....it's a really boring ride, and I go right through Waldo and Starke, so the speedtraps are there, so yes, I'm having to go speedlimit, etc...so yeah, being able to rest on it would be nice, lol.

Hmm...I'm thinking about just bungee cording the bag to my rear end. Anybody ever have something fall off? I haven't looked at the rear end yet, but are there hooks to secure bungee straps or do most of you just make it work? On some portions, I hit 100MPH, wouldn't be nice having my clothes spread along the highway...
Old 02-10-2008, 06:00 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
My 03 has flip out clips under the stock seat... just take the seat off, they flip out, and replace seat.. then you have mounting points.... I would think all have this, but for sure my 03 does...

go check it out....
Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
#9 had a tailbag fall off and get shredded by his rear wheel.

Couldn't you fold down the top portion of your big bag so it doesn't catch the wind?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
"Frog Toggs"(rain gear) will fit under the seat in the side of the rear tail cover. Compress each piece(2-piece) them into a gallon zip lock bag and remove the air. Tuck it in for storage and pull it out for rainy weather. This way they are always on the bike. Get a tail pack and a tank bag for your stuff. If you have extra stuff to carry, then use a back pack.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joshuatest
My 03 has flip out clips under the stock seat... just take the seat off, they flip out, and replace seat.. then you have mounting points.... I would think all have this, but for sure my 03 does...

go check it out....
Is this true? I always thought that clips would have been handy....
Old 02-11-2008, 10:37 AM
MotoGP

My 97 has the flip out clips aswell... So I highly doubt your's are missing...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road
Sweet! Who woulda thunk it? I was constantly thinking to myself last season, (my first season with this bike) that it would have really been handy for Honda to have thought of a way to attach bungees on the tail of the bike!
Old 02-11-2008, 11:08 AM
Squid

SuperLoud
Helen2Wheels Gear for packing

http://www.helen2wheels.com/index.html
Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by joshuatest

go check it out....
Originally Posted by Tweety
My 97 has the flip out clips aswell... So I highly doubt your's are missing...
Yeah.. my '00 has them also.. It seems that Honda only did this every three years.. '97, '00, & '03... they wouldve done it again in '06 but alas they discontinued the 'hawk in '05..

Honda engineers were trying to make all the 'hawks as fast as the yellow ones.. they found that by weighting the yellow ones down with those clips.. and leaving them off the others.. they made the other colors able to keep up... but the offered the clips as dealer option..
Old 02-11-2008, 12:20 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cleveland
Yeah.. my '00 has them also.. It seems that Honda only did this every three years.. '97, '00, & '03... they wouldve done it again in '06 but alas they discontinued the 'hawk in '05..

Honda engineers were trying to make all the 'hawks as fast as the yellow ones.. they found that by weighting the yellow ones down with those clips.. and leaving them off the others.. they made the other colors able to keep up... but the offered the clips as dealer option..
I don't think my 00 has them.. Pics perhaps?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Really all the ''stock/OEM'' seats have them...

Take the seat off. Right where the rear seat starts (on the underside of the seat) there will be two gold colored pieces of metal.. they flip out, and lock into position.. then when you re-install the seat they stick out of the sides of the seat just above the rear fairing.. they are to secure something to the seat. They arnt very strong.. but they work.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:12 PM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
I don't think my 00 has them.. Pics perhaps?
+1

KG
Old 02-11-2008, 02:50 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cleveland

Twisted Throttle has a couple of different bags, but most are in the 150-175 range.

I did you guys a favor, here's a pic of the hooks. The left one is out, and the right is folded in.

Name:  075cfd66.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  76.0 KB
Old 02-11-2008, 03:19 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Hmm, I will check when I get home. I also need to change the oil in the beast now that it is warm enough to ride regularly.

And thanks for the pic!!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Sargent seats have the hooks too.

I think your best bet if you're carrying that much **** is a Ventura setup. Give 'em a Google. There are many options for that rack.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Name:  MotorcycleTripDealsGap052.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  15.4 KB

I had mine set up like I was adventure touring...that tank bag is huge when expanded, or it can be smaller...Magnetic, and zips off for easy carry..has backpack straps..

If your interested, I am going to post it for sale...As I don't need that one anymore, won't fit on the KLR...LOL
Old 02-12-2008, 09:32 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
http://www.revpack.com/motorcycle/pr...rsionPack.html

I've got the Ventura, and it's basically just a big backpack...no where near the size of the backpack/duffel you are using. If you can't fit what you need/want into 2 normal backpacks, the Ventura won't do.

This excursion pack from REV PACK should fit your need.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
Originally Posted by kickinchicken996

I had mine set up like I was adventure touring...that tank bag is huge when expanded, or it can be smaller...Magnetic, and zips off for easy carry..has backpack straps..

If your interested, I am going to post it for sale...As I don't need that one anymore, won't fit on the KLR...LOL
How much? I'm thinking about just bungee cording the crap outta her, but I'll explore my options.

I put a laptop bag on my tank last week and rested my chin on it(the strap was still around me). It worked well, since it was leather it didn't budge unless I was stopping hard. I'll probably be doing that again, but I would like to see what a real tankbag would be like, lol.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:00 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=oicdn;151712]How much?
QUOTE]

Probably $35 plus shipping...

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=13813

Last edited by Randman; 02-17-2008 at 03:17 PM.