Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

VFR Bars/ Hawk Fairing interface SOLUTION

Old 11-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
VFR Bars/ Hawk Fairing interface SOLUTION

OK gents, I think I solved this problem without cutting the fairing. Been struggling with this for a while. If you remove the mirror extenders (assuming you have them), they mount with cap screws that are threaded in the cap to received the stock mirror mount bolts. You'll note that there's a fair amount of upward flexibility in the fairing/windshield in an upward direction from your bars, when the mirrors are unbolted. If you look on the bottom of your stock seat, you'll see 4 rubbers where the seat sits on the bike. They're about 1" x 2.5" x 1/4". You can buy em from Honda for $4/ea. I had mounted mirror extenders on my bike.

What I'm doing is to install double sets of these seat rubbers between the fairing and the frame that the mirrors bolt to. I'm sure you could use 1/2" wide rubber instead if you had access to it. Then I'm buying some threaded stock, mounting the nut that's welded on to the end of the thread on the mirror extender and replacing the extender bolts with bolts that are about 1/2' longer. That will allow for space for the rubbers between the frame and fairing. Then, after remounting the mirrors and extenders, the bars and fairing will not touch till fully extended, not even the bright/dim switch!!

I'll try to remember to carry my camera as we go through the installation.

Last edited by BluStreak; 11-20-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: sentence structure
Old 11-21-2009, 02:26 PM
Squid
Squid

Dazzle is on a distinguished road
I am looking forward seeing the results. I have the same issue going on with my gen 5 VFR clipons.
Dick
Old 11-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
Drilled and fitted the rubbers today, the bars are absolutely clear through their whole range. I'm waiting for the bolt bar stock to come in. After test fitting today, a minor additional issue came up in that shimming the fairing up 1/2" it slightly opened up the seam between the windshield and fairing, but I think a small strip of insulation or 1/8" wide rubber gasket material 4 - 6" long on each side will close it up. The only issue it would create anyway would be some water penetration in the rain.

Gotta try to remember my camera tomorrow!