Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

digital speedo mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Squid

peterdamian2000 is on a distinguished road
digital speedo mod

Hey there fellow hawksters...

I was wondering if anyone out there has done a speedo assembly swap from an analog gauge assembly on my 2000 vtr to a digital/analog combo assembly from a newer vtr...2004/2005? Was wondering what it takes, if it's a simple plug and play or what i needs to work.

Mainly interested in a honda speedo swap, primarily from a newr vtr...not necessarily from another make or model (unless it's simple)

Thanks guys and please let me know.

Last edited by peterdamian2000; 08-26-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Search us your friend....it has been covered many times
Old 08-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Squid

ummm...alrighty then, 8541hawk. i was hoping for some solid info rather than what i got but to your credit, i searched and found some stuff. so, thanks.

i was hoping to get solid info about "plug and play" or what is needed to make it work. from what i've seen and read so far, some say plug and play, others say to use another cluster from a cbr 600, others are saying connector issues. so as you can see, a little confused.

if any other hawksters out there know what works, please let me know.

thanks again.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by peterdamian2000
if any other hawksters out there know what works, please let me know.

It's not a simple plug and play. You need the whole wiring harness to go along with your new gauges. Also, you will need to relocate the ICM unit
at the rear of the bike, since the 2001 & up chicken, the wiring harness
does not go all the way to the back (right behind the tail light, '98 to '00)

Also, since the connectors are different from one wiring harness to another, you will need to replace your turn
signal lights, if you still have the stock ones.

Last edited by Jack Flash; 08-28-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jack Flash
It's not a simple plug and play. You need the whole wiring harness to go along with your new gauges. Also, you will need to relocate the ICM unit
at the rear of the bike, since the 2001 & up chicken, the wiring harness
does not go all the way to the back (right behind the tail light, '98 to '00)

Also, since the connectors are different from one wiring harness to another, you will need to replace your turn
signal lights, if you still have the stock ones.
Umm no you don't need to do this...... I guess it's WAG day.......

It took me a whole 15 sec searhing to find this: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...cluster-18240/

I guees some folks need to be spoon fed info.....
Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I guees some folks need to be spoon fed info.....

My diapers are fine just the way they are. Thank you very much.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Squid

hey there jack...

thanks for the reply, dude. i appreciate the info. that's what i was looking for. seems that some people aren't team players...such a shame. i am glad i wasn't the only one who thought his sarcasm wasn't appreciated. but again, i will give credit where credit is due...

thank you 8541hawk for the info i originally requested. obviously it wasn't that hard so again, i appreciate it.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:55 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
You won't get far here with that kind of attitude. If you put any effort into your search you would have found your answer. If you are not willing to put in the time to find an answer, don't expect anyone else to.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
hey there jack...

thanks for the reply, dude. i appreciate the info. that's what i was looking for. seems that some people aren't team players...such a shame. i am glad i wasn't the only one who thought his sarcasm wasn't appreciated. but again, i will give credit where credit is due...

thank you 8541hawk for the info i originally requested. obviously it wasn't that hard so again, i appreciate it.
You know, that attitude works fine when you walk into a dealership, and pay for the work/time/effort expended to find you parts/information...

It sure doesn't work very well on this forum, where people like hawk8541 freely share information that the dealership people sorely lack, for the price of a kind word... So if you have now concluded that it wasn't hard, why did you not manage to find the information if you indeed made the effort to search yourself?

The sarcasm was entirely warranted, and you got a very friendly welcome with the attitude you exhibited... You are most definetly going on my ignore list...

BTW, just for your information, the answer Jack Flash gave you was infact incorrect, which you would have found out if you even bothered to read the thread hawk8541 posted... But you didn't... So then you have your answer I guess...
Old 08-29-2012, 11:12 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
BTW, just for your information, the answer Jack Flash gave you was infact incorrect,
Wrong my friend. I'm right. I have had a '98, and now an '05. After having worked on both these bikes for a few years each, I think I know what I'm taking about.

People who live in glass houses should not be throwing stones.

I still love you guys
Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 AM
MotoGP

Wrong my friend. I'm right. I have had a '98, and now an '05. After having worked on both these bikes for a few years each, I think I know what I'm taking about.

People who live in glass houses should not be throwing stones.

I still love you guys
Your answer was that to use the new generation gauge, you need the new generation ICM (as they have different plugs, and you obviously can't splice that, if you need to swap signals...), harness and a bunch of other parts... Did I understand that wrong?

So then, why did it take me a whole of 30-40 minutes to swap a new gen gauge on my 98 bike with the replacement of two single parts? One is the plug for the gauges, the other the temp sensor... Other than that, no parts need to be changed at all... You can swap in a tanksensor from the newer bike, with a bit of adjustment, to utilize that part fully, but that has nothing to do with the gauges...

And it didn't take much longer to swap to the SP2 gauges, or the 600RR gauges... Or to the CBR 1000RR gauges... All of which have at one time or another been used on my bike... You don't need another harness, or ICM, or signals, or whatever... If you read the linked thread, you find that another forum member have detailed the exact needed to swap in the gauges without swaping out anything expensive... Not plug and play, but definetly not the expensive route you specified...

You go live in your glass house... At least make the effort to read the posted info before making assumptions... It makes it less likely to look like a fool...

Last edited by Tweety; 08-29-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Wow. Am I going on your ignore list also
Old 08-29-2012, 12:23 PM
MotoGP

Wow. Am I going on your ignore list also
Nope... You are at the least amusing to talk too... The other guy showed no such redeeming qualities before being a rude PITA... He may redeem himself though, unlikely but possible...

But back to the discussion... Have you had a look at the linked thread?

I mean, if you argue that it's easier to swap out the signals, what do you propose about the ICM? With the logic you used regarding the signals, that becomes very expensive...

So, yeah, you answer is technically correct in so much as you can swap the gauges that way... But that way it's probably easier to just buy a new bike... But I still say that it's incorrect to say that that is what is needed to swap the gauges... All you need is the correct plug for the gauges (and that's not even neccesary, I just soldered on leads, and used generic sealed plugs instead...) and to figure out what signal goes where...
Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

A+ Tweety. I however in my defence, said to relocate, not replace ICM.
The '01+ chicken has shorter harness when it arrives at the rear end of the motorcycle. The unit on my '98, would sit right behind the tail light. On my '05, it sits on the sides, just under the seat cowl.

My problem, is I like things original, and don't really like cut wires. But that's my crazy self. So, I answered quickly on that one, without considering that he can cut, and solder the wires, making the job much less expensive in fact. I guess that makes me not very friendly on this forum, but I never ment to steer him in the wrong direction, just trying to help, but sometimes get caught in my anxiousness
Old 08-29-2012, 01:52 PM
MotoGP

A+ Tweety. I however in my defence, said to relocate, not replace ICM.
The '01+ chicken has shorter harness when it arrives at the rear end of the motorcycle. The unit on my '98, would sit right behind the tail light. On my '05, it sits on the sides, just under the seat cowl.

My problem, is I like things original, and don't really like cut wires. But that's my crazy self. So, I answered quickly on that one, without considering that he can cut, and solder the wires, making the job much less expensive in fact. I guess that makes me not very friendly on this forum, but I never ment to steer him in the wrong direction, just trying to help, but sometimes get caught in my anxiousness
Well, since the different gen ICM's won't plug into the other harness, since they have different plugs, you need to replace it, unless you want to splice at that end... And given that it's the same amount of wires, I'd say that would be counterproductive... And with your dislike for things none stock, well...

How about a middle of the road solution, offer your view... But when you get corrected, read first, before jumping the gun... I'm experimenting with that aproach myself... So far it's hit and miss...
Old 08-29-2012, 07:27 PM
Squid

hey there guys...

first off, my apologies for offending anyone in here. i certainly didn't mean to and certainly was not my intention. also, it was not my intention to start anything or a "war of words" in here with anybody. if you'd allow me to explain my position a little, maybe it was a misunderstanding or something...

i joined this forum because we all in here share a couple of common passions...riding motorcycles and riding a pretty rare bird of a machine, our vtr's. i have gotten alot of information (very useful i might add), provided some information and opinions and so forth. i've seen alot of people do alot of things to their machines with alot of work involved and in other cases, not so much work involved. to each is own.

in regards to the searching and info and stuff like that, i did perform a search a while ago and saw that the modification is a little more than i'd like to tackle. not due to lack of experience or anything, but just time. since i arrive home usually around 7-7:30 at night, trying to maintian a fairly large piece of property before nightfall, all the usual "chores" and husbandly duties, time is certainly a hot commodity (or however you spell it) for me. i have my vtr to a comfortable and satisfying point with all my mods, perf upgrades, etc. and just looking for some more possibilities without a huge or time consuming effort.

i was justy simply looking for sombody, anybody in our group to either give me an answer (again, it's an opinion and appreciated none the less) like jack flash. or somebody like 8541hawk to provide a link of some sort (like he did). that's all. when i initially searched, i found alot of what jack flash was writing about...cutting wires, making connectors, etc. and also using other models' gauges too. i was just reaching out for some help/info and jack flash provided that. THAT'S what i was hoping and sort of expecting from this great forum. I would get that kind of info when i asked questions in the past. i wasn't expecting what i originally got from 8541hawk.

anyway moving forward from this, i recieved the answers i was looking for...yes, even from 8154hawk and tweety. it's just something i'm not looking to mess around with right now, maybe never. so, to all your information you all provided me, thank you very much. as for the "war of words" thing, i humbly ask my forum friends to forgive me...it was not my intention to do that. i consider this forum a place where a group of adults get together and swap opinions and information freely and was looking for that only. a "look for it yourself" type of comment although warranted, was not appreciated. that's all.

hope you all can forgive me...

Last edited by peterdamian2000; 08-29-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:49 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
PeterDamian, Welcome to the SH Forum. It is often full of strife. It is informative. It is a trial by fire to continue to post here. A lot of people will lurk and glean what info they need with the rare post.

As you can see, and may be yourself, a lot of us are older and crusty. A lot of us believe that people should put in effort to answer their questions by themselves.

WHEN you have a question AND you have already looked, I am speaking from experience here, SAY THAT. Start the question with (I have done this) "I searched and found some info, my question is a little more specific......." The responses you will get will be vastly different from what was received here.

Hawk knows a lot from play with his SH for a long time now, same with Tweety. They have shared the majority of it (Tweety won't share his SP1 swingarm setup.....for safety reasons) and do not wish to retype it all. However, they will, when they know that someone has put in an effort before asking.

I appreciate your apology and believe it to be sincere. I think they might too.

Not intended at you, but we are weary of squids, who buy this bike, and then just want all the answers with no inputted effort. The "gimme, gimme, gimme" part of the current generation.

Hope this helps a little.

Erik
Old 08-30-2012, 10:19 AM
MotoGP

hey there guys...

first off, my apologies for offending anyone in here. i certainly didn't mean to and certainly was not my intention. also, it was not my intention to start anything or a "war of words" in here with anybody. if you'd allow me to explain my position a little, maybe it was a misunderstanding or something...

i joined this forum because we all in here share a couple of common passions...riding motorcycles and riding a pretty rare bird of a machine, our vtr's. i have gotten alot of information (very useful i might add), provided some information and opinions and so forth. i've seen alot of people do alot of things to their machines with alot of work involved and in other cases, not so much work involved. to each is own.

in regards to the searching and info and stuff like that, i did perform a search a while ago and saw that the modification is a little more than i'd like to tackle. not due to lack of experience or anything, but just time. since i arrive home usually around 7-7:30 at night, trying to maintian a fairly large piece of property before nightfall, all the usual "chores" and husbandly duties, time is certainly a hot commodity (or however you spell it) for me. i have my vtr to a comfortable and satisfying point with all my mods, perf upgrades, etc. and just looking for some more possibilities without a huge or time consuming effort.

i was justy simply looking for sombody, anybody in our group to either give me an answer (again, it's an opinion and appreciated none the less) like jack flash. or somebody like 8541hawk to provide a link of some sort (like he did). that's all. when i initially searched, i found alot of what jack flash was writing about...cutting wires, making connectors, etc. and also using other models' gauges too. i was just reaching out for some help/info and jack flash provided that. THAT'S what i was hoping and sort of expecting from this great forum. I would get that kind of info when i asked questions in the past. i wasn't expecting what i originally got from 8541hawk.

anyway moving forward from this, i recieved the answers i was looking for...yes, even from 8154hawk and tweety. it's just something i'm not looking to mess around with right now, maybe never. so, to all your information you all provided me, thank you very much. as for the "war of words" thing, i humbly ask my forum friends to forgive me...it was not my intention to do that. i consider this forum a place where a group of adults get together and swap opinions and information freely and was looking for that only. a "look for it yourself" type of comment although warranted, was not appreciated. that's all.

hope you all can forgive me...
Well, I did say it was unlikely you would redeem yourself, but you proved me wrong...

Like Eric said, most of us are fed up with the "Gimme, gimme!" attitude, which means we have a gazilion threads about the same topic, with the exact same content, over and over... So knee-jerk response to the same question, is "use search"... The slightly longer version is like Eric said, "search first, and then ask follow up questions..."

In this case, it really isn't as complicated as you might ... If you want too, you can swap in a tank sensor to get that extra function, but it's not neccesary...think actually... yuryur has posted the exact schematic and what connectors fit with a 30 second fix and a couple of drops of glue... Other than that, all you need to do is to swap out the temp sensor to get a correct reading...

All in all, if you want it, but don't want to mess with the stock harness, I still have a set of extra plugs from my experiements somewhere I think, so I could in theory make an adapter, and send you... That way you can plug the new gauge in and keep your wiring intact... Lemme know if you want me to go look... As I work with electronics on a daily basis, for me it's a ten minute job to make it once I found the connectors...
Old 08-30-2012, 07:15 PM
Squid

hello there erik and tweety...

thank you once again, both for your explanations with this matter. i'm definately not a young guy that comes in here and expects anything for nothing. i can see how you both feel about those "gimme, gimme, gimme" kinda posts and understand now alot better. I will certainly use that great advice, erik. my "redemption" post is definately heartfelt and genuine. the last thing i was looking to do is ruin my chances at a great site and place like this that already has given me awesome and helpful information with my vtr.

so, regarding this speedo mod...i think what i'll do is tackle something like this in the winter time when the bike is put up and i can spend some time with her. tweety...i greatly appreciate the offer. i will let you know closer to winter time when i tackle this little project about making the adaptor.

again fellas, thank you for your understanding and "hearing me out." i really appreciate it. and if you guys happen to run into 8541hawk in here, please forward my apologies to him as well. or if he reads this...hawk, my apologies to you as well.

ride hard and fast guys, but let's keep both wheels on the ground! or better yet, ride it like you stole it!!! lol.

talk to you all soon.