Old 03-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Those heads are looking nice
Old 03-02-2011, 07:47 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
that looks great man nice build for sure. ive had a hardon for an rc for a while and have even contemplated seeing if i could unload my vtr and my honda quad for a nice rc sp2
Old 03-03-2011, 05:25 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
nice work bro enjoy!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I got a little too carried away with polishing the ports, because it helped me to visualize the port shapes. I think I need to go back in and put some surface roughness on the port walls to keep the fuel suspended on the intake ports and encourage some carbon deposit on the exhaust ports, for insulation.It's good practice.

I have a very low mileage engine, that I bought for $250. The poor thing must have been crashed in the first few weeks of ownership. It will be the core for my next engine project.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RCVTR
I got a little too carried away with polishing the ports, because it helped me to visualize the port shapes. I think I need to go back in and put some surface roughness on the port walls to keep the fuel suspended on the intake ports and encourage some carbon deposit on the exhaust ports, for insulation.It's good practice.

I have a very low mileage engine, that I bought for $250. The poor thing must have been crashed in the first few weeks of ownership. It will be the core for my next engine project.
I'm sure that the current motor is scary fast, but I do understand if you want a race motor build cuz it's just fun to build and enjoy. Will you go all the way to STG3?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:44 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I can't pretend to have a need for more power. I wouldn't say it's scary fast, but much of the time, I don't need to run it wide open, like I would on a 600. Look at the video of Dave Stanton at Thunderhill that 8541Hawk posted and he runs at part throttle much of the time, as well.

But you are right. Much of the impetus for the project is the satisfaction that comes from doing the work. I'm building a full stage II engine, complete with Moriwaki airbox and intake snorkel. I'm installing a set of Kent billet cams. Compression ratio will be lower than I would have expected, for several reasons, based upon what I have learned from RD. It mainly has to do with propagation of the flame front on big, slow pistons and the path between intake and exhaust valves during the overlap period.

When he sent me cam timing info, with recommendations for road races like the IoM-TT, I knew I was in to something serious.

Now, if I can just stop being such a wuss, and get the damn bike off the corners, I'll have something.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RCVTR
Yeah, I can't pretend to have a need for more power. I wouldn't say it's scary fast, but much of the time, I don't need to run it wide open, like I would on a 600. Look at the video of Dave Stanton at Thunderhill that 8541Hawk posted and he runs at part throttle much of the time, as well.

But you are right. Much of the impetus for the project is the satisfaction that comes from doing the work. I'm building a full stage II engine, complete with Moriwaki airbox and intake snorkel. I'm installing a set of Kent billet cams. Compression ratio will be lower than I would have expected, for several reasons, based upon what I have learned from RD. It mainly has to do with propagation of the flame front on big, slow pistons and the path between intake and exhaust valves during the overlap period.

When he sent me cam timing info, with recommendations for road races like the IoM-TT, I knew I was in to something serious.

Now, if I can just stop being such a wuss, and get the damn bike off the corners, I'll have something.
Nice, can't wait to watch the build thread!