Racing Topics related to MotoGP, AMA, WSB, TT, Etc.

RC51 track bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 05:14 PM
Back Marker

Appletonhawk is on a distinguished road
RC51 track bike

So my buddies brother has a RC51 track bike that he dumped twice last year and it needs exhaust,air intake snorkel, gas tank (hole in it) and I think a new set of rearsets. Other than that it is fully set up as a track bike. What would you pay? Hes been asking me to buy it cuz he knows I love the V-twin bikes. I think hes getting desperate to sell as its not a very popular race bike in CCS due to its weight and parts are expensive. What would you pay? Am I insulting him at $500? It is a salvage bike to start with, and it needs work just to put it back on the track so keep that in mind. My buddy races a ZX6R from Farrell Performance and he really wants me to go racing with him. I have never had a bike on the track before, but would love to do it, but my Hawk is way to nice to push that hard on the track and take the chance of messing it up. Thoughts? Buy it for a parts bike and part it out?
Old 01-28-2014, 05:35 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Without seeing it in person, $1000 would be my max (he could probably get more than that, The RC51 does have a good following and it is an expensive bike still, but to be a $4k bike again, the title would need sorting and from what you say it probably needs a good $1500 or more in bodywork and parts in addition to that to look presentable). I just picked up a 97 YZF600R track bike with MSO (that got me the title as the original owner with 0 miles) and enough parts (including extra wheels and rubber, engine, engine computer, carbs, coils, wireing harness ect. I would need forks and a frame, thats it) for $1000. It had been sitting for two years and I had to go through the carbs, tank, new battery, some new hoses, ect but I put a tail light on it, wired a simple brake light switch, and got a small 2" 55 watt fog lamp for the front as a headlight and its also legally tagged and insured now and the fog lamp and tail lights I made quick disconnects for so the bike is still race legal as well with 10 minutes of unhooking the lights and removing them completely. I had a few nuances to deal with from it sitting but all total I'm still only $1250 into the bike including tag, title, and insurance.. well $1500 now because I scored a set of mint fiberglass airtech bodywork on ebay as well so I had 2 complete sets since the set that came with the bike is pretty beat up, so I have a good set and an "I know I'm going to push myself too hard and dump it today" set, that really after a few hours of fiberglass work I can have them painted and have them be a perfect set as well

Edit: that being said.. I'll trade ya (not really, but I do have a hard on for an RC51)

With it being the winter here locally in GA I have seen nice condition 30K mile RC51's pop up in the $3000-$4000 range periodically if you really want one and he's not willing to deal I wouldn't jump on it

Last edited by insulinboy; 01-28-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:39 PM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
I have two RC-51s and a track RC.. an a few Superhawks.. And to be honest.. It would be insulting. And yes you will get opinions.. The engine is designed for the track, so you want hurt it there.... I would offer $1000- $1500.. to be fair with your friend..
Now the truth... The pig(fat, and brute) is not the fastest, or even the best handling (right out of the box). Yet it has potential..
With the same up-grades, as you will read on this forum to the superhawk.
Front fork internals , rear shock, that is about the start.(of the up-grades)..
As HONDA produces production bikes to be decent streetbikes.

The RC-51 owners, ( YES, me too.) are a cult following. Once you own the bike, you will compare it to newer, more advanced bikes. And will probably sale it, or part it out...As so many do..
But you will want another RC-51... As a Large Group of members, come to Admit on other forums.(Speedzilla, RC-51forum.).
As for parts, those parts are available...
Send me a PM, if you become an owner.......
Attached Thumbnails RC51 track bike-ballerina-bruiser.jpg  

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 01-28-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by insulinboy
Without seeing it in person, $1000 would be my max (he could probably get more than that, The RC51 does have a good following and it is an expensive bike still, but to be a $4k bike again, the title would need sorting and from what you say it probably needs a good $1500 or more in bodywork and parts in addition to that to look presentable). I just picked up a 97 YZF600R track bike with MSO (that got me the title as the original owner with 0 miles) and enough parts (including extra wheels and rubber, engine, engine computer, carbs, coils, wireing harness ect. I would need forks and a frame, thats it) for $1000. It had been sitting for two years and I had to go through the carbs, tank, new battery, some new hoses, ect but I put a tail light on it, wired a simple brake light switch, and got a small 2" 55 watt fog lamp for the front as a headlight and its also legally tagged and insured now and the fog lamp and tail lights I made quick disconnects for so the bike is still race legal as well with 10 minutes of unhooking the lights and removing them completely. I had a few nuances to deal with from it sitting but all total I'm still only $1250 into the bike including tag, title, and insurance.. well $1500 now because I scored a set of mint fiberglass airtech bodywork on ebay as well so I had 2 complete sets since the set that came with the bike is pretty beat up, so I have a good set and an "I know I'm going to push myself too hard and dump it today" set, that really after a few hours of fiberglass work I can have them painted and have them be a perfect set as well

Edit: that being said.. I'll trade ya (not really, but I do have a hard on for an RC51)
Yeah I have a hard on for an RC as well!
Old 01-28-2014, 05:41 PM
Back Marker

slo1 is on a distinguished road
Whatever you offer him realize that, from the sounds of it you will toss a couple grand to get it back in fighting shape. rc51 parts are not cheap, but then you could make good money parting it to the street guys. IMHO
Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by slo1
Whatever you offer him realize that, from the sounds of it you will toss a couple grand to get it back in fighting shape. rc51 parts are not cheap, but then you could make good money parting it to the street guys. IMHO
Thats exactly what I told the owners brother. Needs work and parts are not cheap and from looking around a tank is hard to come by and when you do find one OUCH! I'd love to buy it just to part it out and put the money into my bike! HEHE
Old 01-28-2014, 07:00 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Appletonhawk
Thats exactly what I told the owners brother. Needs work and parts are not cheap and from looking around a tank is hard to come by and when you do find one OUCH! I'd love to buy it just to part it out and put the money into my bike! HEHE

What year is the RC-51, last six digits of the VIN#.??
If you can..
Old 01-28-2014, 11:08 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
IMHO, i really think you cant go wrong paying even $1500 for it, let alone a grand or less. all i have to say is id JUMP on it. weather u slowly turn it into a fully working track bike as you have extra money, or part it out.

i just did the full RC51 front end swap onto my SHawk, and i paid $750 for the forks, wheel, axel, upper and lower triples, calipers, rotors, clip ons, fender, bearings, hardware, etc.... and that was a pretty good deal IMO.

you could even take the RC front end and put it on your SHawk for a HUGE upgrade to stock setup and then part everything else. or part all of it. or turn it back into working bike. My point is you have lots of options if u get it for a good price.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:08 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by jscobey
IMHO,
i just did the full RC51 front end swap onto my SHawk, and i paid $750 for the forks, wheel, axel, upper and lower triples, calipers, rotors, clip ons, fender, bearings, hardware, etc.... and that was a pretty good deal IMO.
That is one of the points I was attempting to point out.. With asking the year of the RC-51..
"IF" the bike is a """SP-1"" the the complete front end could be used in a SWAP.. Yet the SP-2 front forks are the more desired RC-51 forks.
Also the SP-2 front wheel is lighter, and more desired...
YET. the SP-1 upper,and lower triple clamps are the main components to do the SWAP...
Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Back Marker

The bike in question is a 2003.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:43 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Appletonhawk
The bike in question is a 2003.
Then it's an SP2 and the only way you could use the parts is if u get SP1 upper and lower triples else where. Sp1 is years 2000 and 01
Old 01-29-2014, 04:41 PM
SuperSport

Very good... Let me know if you become an owner...
Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Money should never come between friends and if you're even thinking about whether it might insult him then you should even offer IMO.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:07 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by calitoz
Money should never come between friends and if you're even thinking about whether it might insult him then you should even offer IMO.
Your correct there. We talked about the bike a little and all the work it needs to put it back on the track and he is firm at $1800. Heres a list of what it needs to be track worthy.

1. new fuel tank
2. new front fairing
3. new air intake snorkel
4. forks resealed
5. exhaust on one side all smashed up