Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

LOTS of work done, first ride with CBR1000 Forks!

Old 12-04-2011, 02:14 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
LOTS of work done, first ride with CBR1000 Forks!

My main ride has been down the last few months getting a lot of work done. Why I decided to do all this work during the best riding weather of the year, I don't know. Finally got everything together today and was able to go for a ride. Figured I would show her off a little.

Here's a list of work just done:
-Frame swap
-Adjust valves
-Set TPS sensor
-Paint valve covers/engine covers black
-Fluids change

And the grande finale, 2007 CBR1000rr Font fork swap with All ***** tapered bearings and Apex risers.

I still need to sync the carbs, but I couldn't help going for a 20 mile ride around the country. The front end felt great, and it really accentuates the shortcomings of the rear. The roads were a little cold so I didn't push it at all, but it felt so much more stable in turns, and gave a lot more feedback of the road surface. I think the newer CBR springs might be a little heavy for me at 180lbs, but fully suited I'll be closer to 200lbs. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...p-guide-23751/ says the '04-'05 CBR1k is more suited to for 190-200lb riders on the hawk.

here are some pictures of the procedure

Name:  P8281406.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  109.4 KB
Name:  P8191372.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  111.8 KB
Name:  P8301418-1.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  71.0 KB
Name:  PB121523.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  94.8 KB

And the finished product

Name:  IMG_0117.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  91.3 KB
Name:  IMG_0112.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  159.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0115.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  174.8 KB

I think I might do a complete fork swap thread in the modifications section soon.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:39 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
nice job on the swap,i have a couple of questions.
does the bike sit at stock height or is it lower or higher.
is there a big difference in the rake and trail.
with those clip ons,does it fit you in the stock riding postion or is it less or more aggressive.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:42 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
ohhhhh and what are you gonna do with the sub frame from your old frame.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 PM
SuperSport

It is lower for sure. Less lean angle when on the sidestand. I took out my shock spacer to try to compensate for it. I'm going to ride it as is for a while and maybe try the spacer later. When I installed the forks a put the tops maybe 1-2mm below the surface of the top triple.

Name:  IMG_0114.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  76.7 KB

I haven't done any measurements for rake and trail yet. Suspension geometry is not something I'm really knowledgeable on yet so I'll have to learn a few things about that.

I set the clip ons up as close to stock as I could, and just made them how I felt they were comfortable. I sat on this black one and another stock SHawk I have back to back, and it feels like they are maybe 1/2 inch higher and maybe an inch further forward than stock. So the position, combined with the lower front makes the feeling a little more aggressive. I left them full length so they are a little wider than stock.

The subframe is staying with the frame, and I'm putting a stock motor from a third hawk I have into it and selling it in the spring.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:06 AM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
In the pic, the exhaust looks awfully close to the turn signal. Any danger of lens "meltage" or is it just the angle of the pic?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:21 AM
SuperSport

Yes that aftermarket stainless license plate bracket does hang lower than it should. The lights don't touch but it is close. I was looking at it yesterday, it almost seems like it wasn't installed correctly, I was thinking about making a bracket to help support the rear, it should be about 3/4" higher than it is, and it would tuck up into the tail a lot better.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
It is lower for sure. Less lean angle when on the sidestand. I took out my shock spacer to try to compensate for it. I'm going to ride it as is for a while and maybe try the spacer later. When I installed the forks a put the tops maybe 1-2mm below the surface of the top triple.

I haven't done any measurements for rake and trail yet. Suspension geometry is not something I'm really knowledgeable on yet so I'll have to learn a few things about that.
First, way to suck me back in......lol I was trying to take a bit of a break and just lurk for a while but on this, as I feel it is a safety issue, I have to say something.

The front end looks great but you really do want to have full engagement on the triples.

Sure you could have no issues and everything could be just fine but you could also end up with damage to the upper triple and have it loosen on you.

So IMHO it would be in your best interest to pull the forks up a little as the 1-2mm is not going to change the rake and trail numbers much.

The SH has a pretty relaxed trail of 3.8" stock so you can loose up to .3" of trail before you start getting into stability issues.

In my experience, you get into issues with dragging the header in right hand corners before you get into stability issues when playing with the front end set up on this bike.

You also comment about the rear suspension. What you are feeling is not only the shortcomings of the stock rear shock but also you are now feeling how much flex the swingarm has.

To complete the package, you need to do the swingarm bracing and then either have the rear shock re-worked or replace it with whichever flavor of aftermarket rear shock you prefer.

All in all a good job and once you get it dialed in, you will be amazed at how good the bike handles now.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:05 PM
SuperSport

I agree that 1-2mm isn't enough to make a huge difference in geometry, I was
trying to minimize the drop in the front as much as I could so I had less of a change. If it's a legitimate concern I will bring them back up next time the fairing is off. The top triple is 24mm thick so I wasn't personally worried about a 10-12% loss of contact. There is also a small amount of chamfer around the triple, so I think the total loss of engagement is one mm or less.

I'm well aware of the swingarm flex and what I need to do for it. A slide across the pavement in turn 5 at NJPM Thunderbolt taught me all about it. I have a spare swingarm and a 900rr brace in the basement, just waiting to find a good deal on a rear shock that comes along when I have the money...still eyeing up the Penske SuperDuper is selling.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:18 PM
Squid

VTRsupersport is on a distinguished road
mate i love the job you've done. real nice.
I just sat my 05' CBR1000rr forks on my bike last night to start the conversion myself.
they do look hot but man theyre alot shorter!

I was concerned about the trail/offset etc myself as Im just going through the same situation with my ducati monster, that I bought with a written off front end. its amazing what a difference 5mm in the offset can do.

rather than use clipons I'll be looking at drilling holes in my upper triples and running renthal fatbars. love the more upright riding position that i'll loose a bit of with the cibby forks. Im going for the naked street bike look with relocated radiators. I'll fit a round headlight as well. so fat bars not clearing the fairing wont worry me.

did you use the CBR brake master cylinder or the vtr one?, I guess they would be swappable...

Last edited by VTRsupersport; 02-20-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Squid

VTRsupersport is on a distinguished road
another question, did the bike feel 'bumpier' in the front? I'll be riding on some crap roads from time to time so wonder if having less travel will be ok on 2hr bike runs on pretty average roads?

(after 2 hours my bum will be sore enogh from the hard *** seat the vtr has anyway!)
Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Squid

Splika is on a distinguished road
Nice Bike!

Could you take some pics up close of that License plate bracket. I have the same thing and was told it is off a stock bike. I think the black one is off the VTR1000F AC model and the Stainless one is off the VTR1000F A model... or vice verse. I am confused on how it mounts up. I just ordered a stock under tail fender. I'm hoping it will mount up correctly. My bike is missing all the pieces under the tail/seat.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails LOTS of work done, first ride with CBR1000 Forks!-100_1007.jpg   LOTS of work done, first ride with CBR1000 Forks!-100_1004.jpg   LOTS of work done, first ride with CBR1000 Forks!-100_0999.jpg   LOTS of work done, first ride with CBR1000 Forks!-img_20130925_182506.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 06:13 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
The is a Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator kit. I know because I have one. I powdercoated mine flat blacf to blend in. They are nice and tidy, but require cutting.

You may also find them as Lockhart Phillips Fender Eliminator kits.

James
Old 01-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Squid

2wheelsagain is on a distinguished road
Thats a nice job there
Can I ask what screen you have on please?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:24 AM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

lloydievtr is on a distinguished road
I'm fitting the same front end to my track bike :-)
Old 01-30-2014, 06:26 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lloydievtr
I'm fitting the same front end to my track bike :-)
Lloydie, you will love the way the bike rides with this front, you will not want to go back to stock!!!