General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

matte (sp?) or flat paint? any pics or has anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road

just bought a sh and the original owner painted it rattle bomb black...(didn't like yellow,) i'm thinking that i kind of like that flat paint, has anyone done this style of paint correctly? the bike is clean with no bodywork needed just decent paint. any pics of anything like this? just an idea before i go back to a stock looking gloss paint.

thanks
andy
andy9743@aol.com
Old 06-27-2007, 11:25 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I've seen some decent looking bed liner paint jobs. The downside is it, well....., looks like bedliner plus it adds some weight. Upside: cheeeeep, easy to apply and looks to last a long time with little to no maintenance.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling
I've seen some decent looking bed liner paint jobs. The downside is it, well....., looks like bedliner plus it adds some weight. Upside: cheeeeep, easy to apply and looks to last a long time with little to no maintenance.
On a jeep, sure. But not on a bike. I'd prefer the leopard fur .
Old 06-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Back Marker

spdrcr is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=andy9743;58928]just bought a sh and the original owner painted it rattle bomb black...(didn't like yellow,) i'm thinking that i kind of like that flat paint, has anyone done this style of paint correctly? the bike is clean with no bodywork needed just decent paint. any pics of anything like this? just an idea before i go back to a stock looking gloss paint.

I have seen satin paint on a couple bikes and quite a few cars. If you use a color it looks nice. In black it looks like primer.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
any pics? i'd like to look to be a little different, but not out of place...maybe i should just go red?
Old 06-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
It's a more expensive route, but if you can get ahold of the matte black from the Duc 749 Dark, it's a -great- color, definetly doesn't look like primer.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 PM
SuperBike

C5aig is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by spdrcr
I have seen satin paint on a couple bikes and quite a few cars. If you use a color it looks nice. In black it looks like primer.
Obviously this will be personal preference but I think a satin or matte color only looks acceptable in black. Any other color, to me, just appears to have been paint that was mistreated or not finished with clear yet.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:48 PM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
I've been thinking that if I had a bike that needed a cheap paint job, I would Prep, sand and prime (cheap cheap) then get a Duplicolour Chameleon paint kit (a few of them i guess) and paint it up. i see the kits in Canadian Tire all the time, They look pretty cool! Base with a different colour overcoat then a clear coat.

They come in Green/orangey/purple and I think like a beige/white/silvery colour, and they change as you change your angle.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Back Marker

Arctic Fire is on a distinguished road
Correction it's called Mirage paint after looking. Duplicolor also has a night time reflective white that would look pretty pimp at night when illuminated. Check out there site, crazy stuff going on there..
Old 06-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
I rattle-can painted my Cannondale mountainbike flat black and love it but I ain't got the nerve to do that to my 'Hawk.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:04 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
In 2002 Honda's 919 was painted in " Asphalt" which is a flat black paint. ( I sold mine to join the VTR faithful )
It is available from " Color Rite " www.colorrite.com

Code: NH436
Paint Name: Asphalt
Color Rite Top: 2818
Color Rite Base: None

Makes for a very low maintenance, especially if you like tankbags, which I do.

Kai Ju
Old 06-27-2007, 09:45 PM
Back Marker

saxman is on a distinguished road
I used bedliner on my winter bike (dual sport)...turned out pretty good. Have to apply it during the middle of the day, anything done in the morning/ evening will pick moisture out of the air and have a white haze to it. Dries in no time, like 30 minutes. I also did my belly pan on my Hawk with it...very durable and no maint. to keep it nice, just wipe down when dirty. That's my 2 cents....
Old 06-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by andy9743
just bought a sh and the original owner painted it rattle bomb black...(didn't like yellow,) i'm thinking that i kind of like that flat paint, has anyone done this style of paint correctly? the bike is clean with no bodywork needed just decent paint. any pics of anything like this? just an idea before i go back to a stock looking gloss paint.

thanks
andy
andy9743@aol.com
I think the Euro Firestorm models in 05 were asphalt. It doest look as good in my opinion because the frame is still shiny. If everything were painted shades of black (flat and gloss) it would look great. I would have bought and 05 919 if they still offered those colors.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Squid

shawkpilot is on a distinguished road
I hate to drop the "H" word, but Harley has some matte paint schemes in all different colors. As long as the rest of the bike is blacked out, and color looks great. When they mix matte and chrome though, none of them look good.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:18 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road

Andy: The Honda asphalt doesn't have a clear coat so if you're doing a home made job, it won't be very durable, especially where the plastic parts will rub when you assemble, take parts off for maintenance, etc. Also, at $179 a quart, the price sucks. Primer paint jobs don't last because the primer absorbs moisture and is not designed to be the exterior surface layer.

Go to an auto body shop supplier and tell them you what you want to paint your bike. Many of the big paint suppliers like PPG have their own 2 step matte black primer look paint combinations for the old fashioned primered black hot rod look. This consists of their basic flat black which gets sprayed over with a matte finish or extremly low gloss clear for the "flat look with high durability. Ask them if they can mix the paint with the chemical catalyst they use for flexible car bumper paint (adds durability). Also, if you don't have an air compressor, many of these shops have a setup to pump the paints and clear coats into large spray cans. You usually have to buy a quart of each for this.

If you have decals, you put them under the clear coat. Good luck. Post pics of the finished bike.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
Buddy of mine did the Rhino-line paint pretty cool even the Harley oldtimers like it. Sucks that everyone stops to talk to him all the time just ignore the rest of us OH Well, guess I have to live passing them Broken down on the side of the road.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
oh yeah cost hime 60 dollars us and guar. for life even God forbid he lays it down guy told him just bring it back, he'll repaint it.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
A friend of mine is an old school painter/striper and he told me they used to mix regular automotive black with baby powder to get a flat look... the more powder, the flatter it gets. I would assume a flat or matte clear would have to go over it to make it durable as Chitownson mentioned before. Never tried it, but sounds interesting.

I painted my track bike with just Rustoleum flat black for $10... of course it scratches and chips, but for a track bike it still looks good IMO. Here's a pic with a pretty little model:
Old 07-02-2007, 05:51 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
awesome bike, awesome pic
Old 07-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by thehandyman
Buddy of mine did the Rhino-line paint pretty cool even the Harley oldtimers like it. Sucks that everyone stops to talk to him all the time just ignore the rest of us OH Well, guess I have to live passing them Broken down on the side of the road.
I saw this one at Laguna Seca a few years ago... I think if he had a matching helmet, that would be crazy. RAIDERZZZ!
Old 07-02-2007, 06:00 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Words would never do it justice, lol
Old 07-03-2007, 05:03 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by mikstr
awesome bike, awesome pic
Thanks mikstr!

Good luck on the paint job andy9743!