Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

timing after valve adjustment and moly oil needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Squid

dsevans is on a distinguished road
timing after valve adjustment and moly oil needed

Hello,
While reading the manula on re-assembly after shim replacement, i have 2 questions that I need help with:
1. I am only replacing the the intake valve shim of the front cyl, can i leave the other cam lobe for the front in place?

My thinking is that on reassembly I can install the one camshaft sproket and will not have to look at the rear cyl. to have the correct sproket position. Because it will be in the correct position from when I took it apart.
The manual says to check the rear cly. position. I read this as if you took out both camshafts of the front cly. Is this correct? I am only taking out one camshaft of the front cyl.
I am not positive on how it gets in-time on reassembly. The rest seems pretty straight forward. And I have it all dis-assembled already.

2. where can I get molybendum oil solution?

Thanks for the help.
Darren
Old 01-01-2009, 10:28 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
if you are only removing one camshaft, just mark it carefully with a silver sharpie pen (mark 2 spot where the cam chain rides over the sprocket (mark both camshafts). The key is put that cylinder at the proper location to take the pressure off the camchain before you release the CCT to loosen the chain and remove the sprocket. The chain will jump otherwise and timing for both cams on that cylinder will be off. You can also zip tie something through the sprocket and around the chain of the camshaft you aren't removing.

Honda and yamaha makes engine assembly lubes they sell in most dealerships - NAPA also carries some - that will work fine. otherwise I think honda manual says just 50:50 mix engine oil and moly.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:20 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
zip tie both cam sprokets to the chain in at least one if not 2 plces, even on the cam thats staying in....