Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Q on doing a valve check and adjustment on the front cylindr

Old 03-20-2006, 06:39 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
Q on doing a valve check and adjustment on the front cylindr

Hey guys, do you know if the radiators need to come off if you are checking the valves or need to adjust em on the front cylinder? Thanx
Old 03-20-2006, 07:25 AM
SuperSport

jschmidt
No. Remove the oil cooler mounting so you can push it up out of the way.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:29 AM
SuperSport

Jim, thanx man. I am glad you are on this forum. yup, I hear a loud tick coming from the front cylinder and the bike is at 23k miles now. Didn't even check the valves at 16k. Is it hard of a job?
I know I have to put the engine at TDC in the front, then check the valves. Now do I check it with the feeler taht came with the tool kit. i found a feeler that has 0.7 written on it. Do I use that one Jim? My other concern is dropping a shim down the engine.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:08 PM
Squid

miken996
Re: Q on doing a valve check and adjustment on the front cyl

intake 0.16mm plus or minus .03mm
exhaust 0.31mm plus or minus .03mm
if you need to adjust to make your life easy to one cylinder at a time set tdc on the front cylinder remove one cam sprocket bolt from both sprockets the just loosen the other bolts do not remove releive tention on the cam tentioner then remove the other bolts completely remove the cam sprocket and bolts completly these are what you need to be carful of not dropping take some shop rags and stuff down under the cam gears just in case try to keep the timing chain fairly tight so it dosnt kink around the crank shaft gear take a bungy cord and hook the chain and flop it over to one side of the motor. make sure you label everthing right ,left, intake ,and exhaust so it goes right back in the same spot carfully remove the cam shafts take a strong magnet and put it right in the center of the bucket and carfully lift up the shim should be attached to bottom of bucket leave the rag you placed earlier stuffed down in timing chain galley and the shim will not be in danger of falling anywere you would not be able to retreive it easily. once your dont with ajustment reinstall everything rotate the crankshaft 270 dergrees and check timing marks of the rear cylinder then repeat process on rear cylinder when you are compleatly done and everthing is tight rotate the crankshaft one compleate revolution and make sure all your timing marks line up and you feel no binding( (remember to use the red locktight for the cam sprocket bolts for reassembly) avalible at honda and torque everything I hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more
Old 03-21-2006, 09:43 PM
SuperSport

Nice write up. Thanks for takin the time and doin it for us. I appreciate your insight. Thanx again.