Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

cam chain guide seems to be falling forward

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Squid

dsevans is on a distinguished road
cam chain guide seems to be falling forward

I am adjusting valve clearance. I pulled the cam sprockets off of the front cyl. I pulled the rear first. The front one was hard to turn, it seemed like the chain was bound up.
I got the front off, but because the cly. leans forward, the guide for the chain the in rear of the cly.
Will the chain push it back into place when I install to sprockets?
Will I have a problem getting it timed correctly? how will I know the sam amount of slack is on either side?
Thanks>
Darren
Old 01-01-2009, 01:36 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
you should read the manual carefully. It will be very important when putting things back together. Once you have a sprocket/cam out, the chain will drop into the crankcase if you don't keep it suspended. Trying to rotate the engine without keeping tension on the chain to prevent it from dropping into the crank will only risk pinching the chain. You won't have trouble setting timing correctly if you just follow the manual perfectly.

Your point about the tensioner being only on one side is a relevant question. So when you reattach the chain to sprockets, start with the cam away from the tensioner (exhaust) on the front, and pull the chain tight over the sprocket, then to the other sprocket - that way most of the slack will be on the intake side where the tensioner is.