Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Header pipe dent removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:48 AM
Squid

The End is on a distinguished road
Interesting idea, I've noticed a small dent on the header pipe right where the bend is where the stock small faring thing is. It's not a huge dent, but enough that I know its there.

Not sure if it was there previously, or appeared when I recently went over a speedbump with a pillion and heard a light scratch...
Old 05-01-2016, 01:58 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
I need to find somebody with a big freezer.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:22 AM
Squid

I've noticed a dent on mine right on the curve where the belly pan is - looks like it has bottomed out at some point.

Is that where your dent is too?
Old 05-01-2016, 06:44 PM
Squid

bird-rider is on a distinguished road
Great tip! Will try to this with my bent headers this weekend.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:34 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by The End
I've noticed a dent on mine right on the curve where the belly pan is - looks like it has bottomed out at some point.

Is that where your dent is too?
Yes.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Just dropped my SS TBR exhaust header in my buddy's freezer... Hope this works!!!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:47 PM
Superstock

Ok, it works just picked up my header from my buddy's freezer. Dent gone, happy camper my bike is excited whoooo-hooooo!!!! Pix to follow!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:49 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Nice! Give us some before and after pictures if possible.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:26 PM
Superstock

It works!

So I followed the dialog on the forum to take the dent out of the header I bought from Capt Chaos. I wrapped the dented area in a towel to insulate it from the surrounding tube using blue masking tape to secure the towel. I then used Saran Wrap and blue masking tape to secure all other outlets but one. I then filled the header until the the water extended about 6" past the dent on each side. I then taped up the headers last entry/exit with Saran and blue tape then into the deep freeze! The unpolished pix were shot by Capt Chaos to show the dent. I then cleaned up the header the after shots show the dent 99% removed I am soooo happy with the result!
Attached Thumbnails Header pipe dent removal-before-1.jpeg   Header pipe dent removal-before2.jpeg   Header pipe dent removal-prep0.jpeg   Header pipe dent removal-prep2.jpeg   Header pipe dent removal-after1.jpeg  

Header pipe dent removal-after2.jpeg  

Last edited by Fastguy59; 05-08-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Squid

rktdoc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fastguy59
So I followed the dialog on the forum to take the dent out of the header I bought from Capt Chaos. I wrapped the dented area in a towel to insulate it from the surrounding tube using blue masking tape to secure the towel. I then used Saran Wrap and blue masking tape to secure all other outlets but one. I then filled the header until the the water extended about 6" past the dent on each side. I then taped up the headers last entry/exit with Saran and blue tape then into the deep freeze! The unpolished pix were shot by Capt Chaos to show the dent. I then cleaned up the header the after shots show the dent 99% removed I am soooo happy with the result!

Were the edges of the dent creased, or just rolled in?
Old 05-07-2016, 05:41 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Fastguy59
Bobby, for those that can't see the pictures, go to your album and underneath the picture will be the url. Copy that url and paste it here. Then your album pictures will show up in this post.

That's pretty cool that it actually works. A header I have has a dent in the normal spot. I think I'll give this a shot.

One more thing, how did you get your header polished up? I was thinking of using 400 grit, then 800, then 1000. And then polish. That about what you do?
Old 05-08-2016, 08:13 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by rktdoc
Were the edges of the dent creased, or just rolled in?
So I finally got the pix downsized to comply with the forum attachment manager.

As you can see the header was actually dented twice. The first one was a small oval dent right at the bend. The second was a bigger smack that left a large part of the radius flattened... Being that is was a compound dent the results are amazing, I am very happy with the results, the forum advice and knowledge and having a big-*** deep-freezer (sub-zero temp)
Old 05-08-2016, 08:28 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Bobby, for those that can't see the pictures, go to your album and underneath the picture will be the url. Copy that url and paste it here. Then your album pictures will show up in this post.

That's pretty cool that it actually works. A header I have has a dent in the normal spot. I think I'll give this a shot.

One more thing, how did you get your header polished up? I was thinking of using 400 grit, then 800, then 1000. And then polish. That about what you do?
On the polish I wasn't too fussy on the ultimate finish as I prefer my SS with a slightly brushed finish. I used a 120g flap wheel on a drill, then onto a 180g, then to 220g emery roll by hand then Rollite aircraft rough cut polish (no picture) on a cone and wheel buff and finished with Rollite Metal Polish on a cone and wheel buff on a drill. Close enough! I love Rollite, it is an industrial product formulated to polish aircraft bodies, airstream trailers etc., kicks every other polish to the curb...
Attached Thumbnails Header pipe dent removal-rollite-flap.jpg   Header pipe dent removal-pipe-rear.jpg  
Old 05-08-2016, 05:59 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. Looking at your header, I kind of like the brushed finish more than the polished. It would match my paint scheme better. I think I will go that route now. Thanks for posting those pictures.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:58 AM
Squid

Looking good... Now what's the best way to make sure it doesn't get a dent again?
Old 05-09-2016, 06:38 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by The End
Looking good... Now what's the best way to make sure it doesn't get a dent again?
When you see a speed bump in your path, wheelie.