General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

YYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! ..... or ..... I love my new bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Back Marker

Slim is on a distinguished road
YYEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! ..... or ..... I love my new bike

Love. LOVE!!!! Like I wanna stick my dick in it love!

Finally got my first REAL ride on my VTR. I copied this from the local forum i'm on. Enjoy! (pics in a few days - sorry)

Bought vtromey's old 2000 honda VTR1000F Firestorm a short while back and finally have it all nice and legal and stuff. Oh man, this bike ROCKS!!!!!! Oh, I mean ******' ROCKS!!!!! Everything is totally different on this bike compared to my '92 CBR600F2.

It's faster. It's lighter. It's louder. It's longer. It has a useable storage space under the seat. And a helmet lock. And a tool kit. It's easier to work on. I'm finding so far that the only thing you wait for on this bike is horsepower ..... because you ALWAYS got torque on this baby! Lovin' the v-twin!

Dunno about fuel mileage yet, but I have a feeling it's gonna be worse. Like I give a crap. Hydraulic-actuated clutch takes some getting used to, but so far so good. Won't take long. The seating position and tank on this bike will also take some getting used to - I don't feel like i'm sitting at the table waiting for supper on this bike, and I don't mind that, but at the same time I find i'm humping the tank a lot. It's harder to keep my upper body supported by my knees hugging the tank, but I think that I still need to find a "sweet spot".

And man does this thing ever like to corner! I feel much more stable on this bike than I ever did the CBR. I guess the suspension doesn't hurt, but it's all good (vtromey modded the front end - i'm gonna do the rest now).

Oh, and there's some decent aftermarket toys for this thing, too! TOYS! Yeeeehhhaaaaa!!!!!!!! Undertail, here I come! Bike already has a cowl on the rear end of the seat, so it's got some sexy sexy looks to it. Just add Slim and it's a complete package!

The bike is rumbly at idle, like a v-twin should be, and smooth at speed. But not "i'm lookin' for a ticket" smooth. It's juuuuuust right. Goldielocks would be happy.

Okay, so anyway, just wanted to blab about it a little bit now that i'm finally able to enjoy it.

I gotta go ride my hump now.

I mean bike my ride.

I mean ride my hump.

I mean hump my bike.

Oh, nevermind!

Last, but NOT least - a big THANKS to those of you who were kind enough to help me out in the past month or so, with your knowledge, answers, suggestions, opinions, test riding, patience and kindness. It helped me greatly in making this decision one that I don't regret and it's very appreciated. I'd like to think y'all know who you are. So ..... THANKS!

Okay, i'll finally shut up now.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:03 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Glad you're excited about the Hawk. As the former owner of a 1991 F2, I agree with most everything you said, except the part about the Hawk being lighter than the F2. It's not. Stock for stock, the Hawk is about 30 pounds heavier than the old F2.
The difference in the torque is slightly noticeable, isn't it?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:28 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Great post, Slim. Made me laugh out loud. I thought I was in for the night, but now I gotta go for a ride when I finish this post.

PS The tank hump/weight on hands thing is best managed by putting your toes or ***** of your feet on the pegs and arching your back a little. At least that works for me.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by killer5280
Glad you're excited about the Hawk. As the former owner of a 1991 F2, I agree with most everything you said, except the part about the Hawk being lighter than the F2. It's not. Stock for stock, the Hawk is about 30 pounds heavier than the old F2.
I don't know. I don't have scales to check myself, just going by the spec numbers ..... both of which are probably wrong. LOL!

Yes. Torque is good! It's actually an eery feeling, getting used to the bike being so "ready to go". I'll get used to it soon enough.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:37 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RK1
Great post, Slim. Made me laugh out loud. I thought I was in for the night, but now I gotta go for a ride when I finish this post.

PS The tank hump/weight on hands thing is best managed by putting your toes or ***** of your feet on the pegs and arching your back a little. At least that works for me.
Yup, i'm religiously on the ***** of my feet when riding. The back ..... well, I have a history of having a bad back, so i'm always catching myself and correcting poor posture, nevermind on the bike. With the VTR being more "laid out" it's slightly more challenging, but i'm sure i'll get used to it soon enough. I really believe there's something to that "sweet spot' I mentioned earlier. Gotta see.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:55 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
Stock for stock, the Hawk is about 30 pounds heavier than the old F2.
Nope, not that big of a weight difference but like you said the torque GREATLY makes up for the few extra pounds:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...a-CBR600F2.htm

and

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...FFirestorm.htm
Old 10-21-2007, 10:24 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Hey hey now. Let's not jump to conclusions.

You don't need to love something to stick your dick in it.

Congrats on the new (to you) bike! That high is a wonderful feeling.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
True, you don't need to love it to stick it, heck, you don't even need to like it, or look at it for that matter LOL...

Enjoy!!
Old 10-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Back Marker

WWWOOOHHHOOOOOO!!!!!!!! Got some more miles on it tonight. Found that sweet spot for squeezing the tank. I find i'm not using my knees/thighs the same on this bike. More knees and less thighs when compared to my CBR.

Clutch is no problem now. Can't imagine i'm saying it (don't know why i'm even saying THAT), but i'm finding that the hydraulic set up is really quite nice. Not so ..... so ..... picky.

It has that stalling problem. You know, the one where the bike is running (idling) absolutely fine, then there's a "hick-up", you get freaked out and then it's fine for a while?!?!? Then with NO warning whatsoever ..... putputputputpu-cough! "Wtf?!?!?!?!" Yeah, that's a royal pitfa. Gotta re-route those vent hoses.

Removing the PAIR system is a biiiig help with reducing back firing, although it's not gone entirely. No biggie, i'm glad it's reduced as much as it is and won't push my luck.

A whole bunch of my parts are coming through this week and i'm picking up more this weekend, so should be an interesting few weeks/winter.

Glad I reduced the TPS voltage, it helps being new to the bike, the torque and responsibility. Handy having a less "active" throttle in traffic.

And holy crap can this thing get going quick!!!!!! There's been a few times i've gotten on the highway and been braking hard before merging! "Oooppps, maybe merging at 150 kph is a bit much!". It's so strange not feeling the torque increase ..... because it's already there ..... errr, always there. Well, you know what I mean!

Okay, so, yeah, happy camper. Thanks guys! (and girls?)
Old 10-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Get the carbs sync'ed and adjust mixture screws to 2 turns out. Should cure the cough-die syndrome.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Get the carbs sync'ed and adjust mixture screws to 2 turns out. Should cure the cough-die syndrome.
Well, i'm learning! I just realized that when I re-set my TPS I re-set my idle after. Don't think I did that right. Actually, i'm not sure how the two affect each other at all. I'd think they correlate with one another. Don't mind me ..... thinking out loud.

I'll do a search and see if I can find an "Order of Operations" for getting the bike tuned up well. Would be handy if i'm gonna be playing.

Thanks!