General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Worth it to buy...??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Squid

k_olson is on a distinguished road
Worth it to buy...??

Hi! I'm a recent member and looking for some advice. I'm looking for a short term project bike that i can ride this summer after some TLC and elbow grease. I came across someone selling a 1965 CB77 Super Hawk 305 and am willing to put the money in. they are selling for 500 and only minor problems (rust, dirty gas tank...) but was wondering if its worth the buy with the major issue that it may need the motor rebuilt/overhauled...and that theres no title.

I've decided that this is the bike i want but don't wanna take on a maintenance job i cant handle or that's gonna be impossible or too pricey considering the amount for the bike. i'm kinda new at this and would appreciate any advice anyone can offer!

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Squid

Streaky is on a distinguished road
I'd think hard about that one. Where I live you have to get a title to ride on the street (in order to get tags), so that's a big downside. ...and title's are hard to get.
Second, if it's not running, it could be any number of things- in addition to what's obvious.

I'm a sucker for a good project, but it'd be a no -if I had to decide.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:03 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
You may wanna ask on places like... (if the site is still around... this site is really about "New Superhawks"...)
http://www.honda305.com/superhawk/

Regardless... there are some services that can help replace the title. I believe actually you sell them the bike, they title it, and sell it back to you... sounds weird, but do a search and I'm sure you can find them... I believe one is located in New Hampshire... probably some law allows this to work up there.

I owned a 66 CB77.. rusted to hell... from what I researched, they will take some effort, plus the parts are getting hard to find... I don't think you can find sprockets for it anymore and those are the maintance type items that could really mess with you as used parts (like sprockets) aren't always gonna help.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:22 PM
Squid

dantropolis is on a distinguished road
Oldest Honda I've had was my '73 CB350 SuperSport and was able to get most needed parts right from the dealer, this was 2-3 years ago. It seems everything can be found on the internet if dealer doesn't have it.
At that age, you may not even need a title to register. Check for antique plates at the DMV, I've heard these may save $ on reg / ins.

Enjoy and good luck.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I have a friend who had one and it wasn't bad to keep running. But agree with Streaky - your first stop should be the DMV to see if this is something you are ever going to be able to get titled - if not that would be a deal breaker and some states it can be very hard, but all are different. checking it out first would save some grief