General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

To buy or not to buy this wrecked 98 ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
To buy or not to buy this wrecked 98 ?

Hello, I'm new to the forum (currently own a 97 VFR - LOVE IT!) and wanted to get some feedback on purchasing a wrecked 98 Superhawk with just 7300 miles on the odometer.

What it needs:
  • Complete plastic (Needs every piece of plastic)
  • Forks (including upper and lower trees) Discs and rotors look fine.
  • Left side radiator
  • Header (Two brothers slip ons are unscratched and in perfect condition)
  • Ignition turns on, all dash lights work, but wont start. Could it be a tip over sensor (not sure the 98's have one - this is why I joined the forum).
  • Clutch resevoir
Owner is FIRM on $800 and wanted to know how much you think it would cost to rebuild?? All done I think the bike is worth $2500-$2800 but would like to hear your opinions if it is worth my time OR just buy a used one and start riding.

Thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Here's my 2cents. If the motor ran maybe but since it isn't I'd say walk away. I've never heard of a tipover switch on this bike.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:02 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
when you are attempting to turn it over,does it make any strange noises,grinds,chain slapping or anything of the sort.
lol,does it have gas.
800 isnt bad,but if its not atleast running,500,maybe with a good once thru the motor,changing all fluids,filer,plugs,lines cleaned and new gas,it just might run.
if it was me,for 500,i would give it a chance.but thats it.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Sounds like some potential and you could do some upgrades like getting a better front end while doing the rebuild. It is a little bit of a gamble on the no start but if it turns over fine and doesn't make any noises it could be something as simple as the coil got messed up/unplugged, or something simple like that. Check it for spark and go from there.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:25 PM
SuperBike

I'd really look at the frame at the headstock, it's a pretty stout unit but if the forks and trees are bad then who knows, but I agree with Saige not running no more than $500
Old 05-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well there is no tip over sensor.

Things to check closely would be the front of the frame where the fairing stay mounts, they have been know to break off in a hard crash.

Also as the engine is a stressed member of the frame, check all the motor mounts closely and maybe take some measurements as a damaged mount is easy to over look and the bike will not track straight if one or more are damaged.

As for is it worth it, that would be up to you and how mechanically inclined you are.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:50 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
+1 ^

Yeah I wouldn't totally write it off... hell it could be a very simple electrical problem if the starter isn't making noise when you try to turn it over.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:54 PM
the boss
SuperBike

if it does have frame damage of some sort,point it out and try and take it for under 500.
if you were to get really lucky,and motor ran with little issues needing to be fixed.you looking at 1000 to 1500,doing it yourself to fix it up.to be happy and riding,but theres no telling if you end up getting all OCD on the bike,then its endless,lol ask some members
Old 05-24-2012, 03:07 PM
SuperBike

+1 on the OCD
Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
It's OCMD but I don't know anything about it....
Old 05-24-2012, 03:41 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
If the forks are bent check the frame at the head weld closely, in a few (rare) cases that weld has cracked without the forks bending, so with the forks bent it is very possible.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:42 PM
the boss
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
If the forks are bent check the frame at the head weld closely, in a few (rare) cases that weld has cracked without the forks bending, so with the forks bent it is very possible.
+1 and check welds on the inside of the neck,if possible.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:37 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Another thing to ask the owner: if the bike was totaled by an insurance company. If it was then you probably will not be able to get it registered for road use. If so then it is either a track bike or a parts bike. I think 800 is too much given that the engine will not start.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Back Marker

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I have an update...

The key turns on, the dash illuminates but when I press the starter there is nothing but silence (no noise from the starter, engine does not turn over NOTHING!). It was not turned into the insurance company so I can walk away with a "clear title". I've helped friends put salvage bikes back together in years past, not to mention built 3 Mustangs of my own, so I am mechanically inclined but I really wanted to get the feedback from a forum just like this, and I must admit, I cant believe the number of responses and how quickly you all have responded. Thank you! I have some pics but I didnt really read the "fourm rules" so not sure if/ how many pics I can post. I'd be more than happy to post some later this evening if its cool?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:59 PM
the boss
SuperBike

hmmmmmm,could be starter relay,do you hear it click,if not,could be why its not turning,or could be bad starter switch.could be disconnected somewhere.maybe even just a fuse.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Back Marker

No click, no noise, nada, nothing, zilch - not a sound - just silence when I press start. Also, on the instrument cluster, the green neutral light is illuminated but the rear tire is loaded so I couldnt check to be sure if in fact it is in neutral. Also, the clutch resevoir is broken (no fluid and therefore no clutch) - I can start my VFR in neutral w/o pulling in the clutch so I'm assuming I can still start the 996 w/o the clutch?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM
the boss
SuperBike

ahhhhhhh,that could be it,put the hawk in neutral by hand to make sure,that could be the big reason its not turning over.its probably in gear.
but,if it does run,dont put in gear lol
Old 05-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by saige
ahhhhhhh,that could be it,put the hawk in neutral by hand to make sure,that could be the big reason its not turning over.its probably in gear.
but,if it does run,dont put in gear lol
Haaaaaahahahahahhaaaaaa.

Yea, that would be a really REALLY bad idea!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:07 PM
the boss
SuperBike

the gears can be changed by hand without the clutch lever,might have to push the bike back and forth just a bit to get it to click over.
im sure the light is mistaken.
worse case is the tranny or rods/crank is seized and its locked into gear.
if so,get it crack head cheap,and sell us the good parts lol

just in case,i got dibs on exhaust
Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Back Marker

The story goes like this: 21 y/o buys first bike from cousin for $2200. First ride, first day, 10 secs he pulls out of the cousins garage, makes a right hand turn onto the street (to park bike), inadvertantly gasses throttle while reaching for the brake, rearends back of car sending front wheel into the air and landing on handlebars and seat. Front of bike and ALL plastic broken ....and yet the tank doesnt have a scratch nor does either 2 Bros slipons. Hmmmm.... come to think of story is sounding more and more like a story. Anyone selling a Super hawk in the 2800-3200 range?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 PM
the boss
SuperBike

hmmmmm,sounds like a story,but it is very possible it landed that way and stayed up without falling over.unlikely,but very possible.Ive seen stranger things.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:32 PM
Back Marker

Thanks again for your posts - I'll keep searching.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:43 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Yep, I'd only buy that if you were buying it specifically as a project. If what you want to do is ride a Superhawk, then you should be able to find a well running one in the price range you specified.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:16 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Yep, sound like he told you a Name:  cool-starry-bra.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  61.0 KB
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Even with your mechanical iclination, this sounds like a boat anchor. I you goal is to actually ride, get a non-destroyed one. Too many question marks and no bargain depending on what is wrong (and it may take a while to find all the issues, like miles of riding.

My 2cents would be to just buy a runner. Things can still get wacky but why start out that way?
Old 05-25-2012, 04:10 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
If you're looking to spend $2500+ on repairs to a wrecked '98 that doesn't run.......

Have I got a deal for you.....a '99 with several upgrades (Ohlins, Racetech, V&H, Sargent, Helibars, etc). Needs tires, battery, and a tune-up for $3000. Includes all the VTR stuff I have.

I bought the bike new and replaced it with a Guzzi when I retired 5 years ago. There was nothing wrong with the bike when I parked it but with retirement my riding focus shifted from commuting to touring. Plus after Carpal Tunnel Surgury on both wrists I found I just couldn't handle the Hondas aggressive riding position for long periods of time.

PM me for pics & details if interested.

The bike is located near Ottawa Ontario.

Cheers!

G
Old 05-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Squid

b1m3x8 is on a distinguished road
I also have a SH that I'm willing to part with. Want to take a road trip to NJ? lol
Old 05-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Squid

George H Hill is on a distinguished road
You gotta Parts Bike. Id buy it just for a source of Spare Parts and those Slip Ons...but 800 is too much unless you are looking to build a Street Fighter Project. But for a bike to do a quick fix on and ride - not happening.
Also your title would end up being a Salvage or Restoration Title - either way, makes that bike worth very little.