General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

To buy or not to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 04:51 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: To buy or not to buy

I think your gonna get a laugh or two if you question the bike's reliability.

The problems with the bike are very minor and few. There's only two really worth mentioning:

- the cam chain tensioner issue can be solved, or at least reduce the chances to an acceptable amount, by changing every 20k.

- the Regulator/recitfier is just an annoyance if it fails. After market R/R's have larger fins and apparently don't overheat and fail. I think the replacement OEM's have been fixed with larger fins but double check.

Thats about it. Anyway don't let any thoughts about reliability sway your decision, let your preferred riding style tip the scale.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking of reliability. If I recall correctly the bandit is an air cooled bike.

Air cooled bikes need more maintance done to them throught there life.

I have sat on a bandit 1200 a couple of years ago and it feels crammed. I am 6'2 and I felt like I was on a bike that was too small for me.

My shawk is very comfy. I dont feel like I am on a 81980's 600cc sportsbike.

Point #2
Hondas have a better build quality and (generally) have a better resale.

The v-twin motor is very usable and has power all over. Take one for a ride and you will be impressed. You wont be dissapointed

There are many people on this forum that have over 100K on there bikes.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Back Marker

HotStreetVTR

Regarding the hydraulic cam chain tensioners being prone to failure, that phenomenon is not unique to the VTR: Kawasakis are reputedly even more likely than Hondas are to barf-up a valve because of failure of a hydraulic cam chain tensioner.

Even so, I look at the issue in terms of a "risk equation": If for a few hundred dollars you can remove the threat of a "head hork" by having manual cam chain tensioners installed, it is well worth it, if for nothing else, for the increased sense of confidence in the drive train. It's a bit like the "risk equation" associated with being struck by lightning: chances are slim that it will happen, but if it does happen, you will find it to be more than a little unpleasant.

Regarding regulator/rectifier failure, for roughly $130 US (at deep discount), you can get an aftermarket replacement R/R that will most likely never fail. I intend to replace SuperChicken III's OEM R/R with the aftermarket replacement and then toss the OEM R/R under the seat, just in case.

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR
Old 01-22-2005, 07:49 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road

Well, I happen to have both a superhawk and b12s sitting side by side in the garage; both are 98's.

The bandit has a slight advantage in hp/torque but it's heavier by about 50+lbs. It is more comfortable and the riding position is very easy to change since it has handlebars instead of clipons. I found it to be about perfect with a large screen and corbin saddle. I jumped on and rode it back home over 1100 miles when I bought it!

The power band is what I really don't like about it. It's probably one of the easiest IL4's (FJ11/1200 ?) powerbands to ride but it's still "peaky" and harder to control compared to the SuperHawk. I've used this analogy before: there's a slippery turn near my house that with identical tires I spin up the b12s but the VTR just hooks up and goes. They both have the same redline too. Also, the bandit has a horrible (IMO) vibration at about 4500rpm. This is, of course, at typical highway speeds so many riders gear it differently. Abover or below that, it's turbine smooth. There's no balance shaft. A small run of the newer generation had faulty pistons that burned oil. A slight smear on an otherwise bulletproof reputation (motor since late 80's). Like the 'hawk, it's due for a major redesign. The old air/oil cooled engine runs cooler (to the rider) than any water cooled bike I've had.

I hate to admit it but there's one other thing about the Bandit (beside that goofy name). It gets about as much respect as an ugly stepchild. Yeah I know, I shouldn't really care but even the SuperHawk gets more "cred" with riders and non-riders certainly ohh and ahh more over the VTR. The B12S (maybe the newer current edition is better) seems to melt into the background at any gathering. Now with LEO's, that's a good thing!!!

My gas mileage is about the same on both bikes and the 'zuki's range is just a tad better (130 till reserve).

Bottom line:

touring=bandit
sport=superhawk (much better handling)
around town=toss up
posuer factor= superhawk
fun to own= both are wheelie monsters
bang 4 buck= bandit (cheaper/easier to seriously mod)

Very bottom line?= see my signature line!
Old 01-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Squid

sfarson

Zero issues or problems with my '01, riding year round in all kinds of conditions.