General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Wnt to D208GP tires....front end now nervous?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:54 PM
Back Marker

oicdn
Wnt to D208GP tires....front end now nervous?

Something I've been meaning to post, but have been forgetting to.

After I switched to track tires from the crappy D205's, the front end has been NERVOUS, meaning it twitches at every opportunity. If I GET ON HER HARD, the front end gets upset. I went to go gas it on a highway exit/entrance and the front end got nervous. Never happenned from the factory. Same goes for if just cruising on the highway. If I roll on the gas hard up past 85MPH the front end gets nervous. But if I gradually speed up, it's no big deal.

Now I thought "the tires might need to be balanced" but they were balanced by one of the best in town, so I'm doubting that. Did the profile screw up my geometry? Any track heads able to lend some knowledge?
Old 02-10-2008, 06:20 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I am running a set of GPa now and have no issues.

I have however had exactly the same thing occur before though and i was going to return the Tire to Tireexpress.com, but they suggested dismounting and remounting the Tire first. Even though the tire and wheel were perfectly in balance. I did what they suggested and then rebalanced again and it fixed the problem completely.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:25 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting...

I never would have guessed that remounting could make such a difference.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
With some of the off road radials, i've had to do the same thing... If they won't properly balance, or do according to the computer, but then don't feel right... you just have them dismount, rotate the tire slightly on the rim, and re-balance... usually takes care of the problem...

i don't know what causes the problem from the beginning... possibly imperfections in the tire... but it can defanately fix the problem.. i say its worth a shot.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Different tires will have different characteristics. The profiles are different and the best operating temperatures and pressures will also be different. IIRC, the Dungflops grow at speed, changing chassis geometry. I'm not sure if that only affects their race tires/slicks.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
Sounds like the tire is not properly seated on the rim. Look carefully at the edge of the rim...all the way around...both sides...perhaps at one spot it is up higher or lower than the rest, making for a nervous feeling....hard to describe. Remount usually fixes it...or even deflate, whack tire with rubber mallet all around and then reinflate. Pump it up high to insure seating evenly and then deflate to spec. Cheap and easy.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:26 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Don't need to remount... redmans suggestion is a good one... Did that a couple of times myself...
Old 02-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Set up your suspension properly, or as properly as you can with stock stuff. That'll help a bunch. I've never had issues with tires...except for some really worn out D207GPs, but they were heat cycled to all hell.