General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

TIRES TIRES WHAT KIND OF TIRES???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Back Marker

Northman69 is on a distinguished road
TIRES TIRES WHAT KIND OF TIRES???

so I need some new rubber and I wanted to get some feedback on a good set of rubber for the SH... I was looking at some pilot power 2ct's... I want something that sticks in the turns but is hard in the middle just a good mix of the two... Or see what you guys thought worked well with the hawk
Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Back Marker

just found a set of pilot power 3's for $250 they look nice and I see they are a newer version of the 2ct's
Old 02-18-2013, 06:45 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Depends what you are really after. All out stick or pretty good stick and decent mileage. It also depends on how many miles you do a season.

Do some searches but the latest crop of sport touring buns really will surprise you with how well they stick + in the rain they are heads above most "sport" rubber.

Since I ride over 10k miles a season, I can't afford to buy & mount new doughnuts twice as season if I ran sport buns. Even at $300+ a set, ST rubber makes more economic sense to me.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:49 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
I love my 2ct's. Newer is MOST of the time better but do some research. I dont like to read because I have ADD and Im lazy, yes at the same time. BUT Youtube is a resource that I use, I like OnTheThrottleTV, Dave Moss has won me over on the break down on tire choise and tire wear info.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Back Marker

I just want a good mix of stickieness and also mileage... Ill put like 5K plus a summer on it since I have another bike... I see the pilot power 3's are a dual compound tire like the 2ct's just a newer version... Just wanted to get some opinions on what people had and liked
Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
My suggestion is:

-Black and Round.

I went through a rear Dunlop Q2 within about 4,000 miles last season... They stuck like glue, but that mileage sucked. The front is still real good, but that rear was eaten up quick on a superhawk. Any kind of load on the rear tire, or commuting miles did it in.

My solution was as such:
-2nd set of rims, one set with Dunlop Roadsmart 2s, and a new rear Q2 on the other rear rim.

If I want to take the hawk to a trackday, or get really spirited, throw on the rims with the Q2s.

We'll see how the roadsmarts do when my season starts up (hopefully soon... I'm going stir crazy.)
Old 02-18-2013, 09:11 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
Dunlop Q2s for me. Really ride nice but mileage is crap. I got about 3k out of the rear and will replace the front too since I can feel odd wear in the tread on the front. (Sorry, can't really describe it). I got the Dunlops for $200 even when Cycle Gear had a blow out in December 2011. They have one track day on them and I just ride the bike for fun. No commuting. My old PPs got a little slick on the track (not 2cts, older PPs) and I am not a fast guy. Definitely a "C" group rider.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:02 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
Dunlap Q2's for me - great tire!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:09 AM
Squid

YoshSuperHawk is on a distinguished road
I just got 5+ K out of my Continental Road Attack's. Good stick and good mileage
Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 AM
rnb
Back Marker

rnb is on a distinguished road
I would NOT go with Shinkos dont last for crap. I put a set of conti-motions on my cbr, they are lasting really well and handle well also. you can get a set for around 170 busks from motosport
Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
Talking

Originally Posted by rnb
I would NOT go with Shinkos dont last for crap. I put a set of conti-motions on my cbr, they are lasting really well and handle well also. you can get a set for around 170 busks from motosport
I don't know about you but I have to differ here, I have used up several other brands of tires (usually apx 200+ a pop) ond only got apx 4k mileage out of them = too little mileage for the buck. Q2's were best for sticking to the road wet or dry but pitiful mileage. And have then bought the shenko and I have to say I was impressed with the mileage 12k out of it, and I ride all the time throughout the year and ride hard although not crazy in the curves. the henko's stuck good in dry but wouldn't trust them at lean in wet . So you have to decide what kind of ride your looking for..Mileage and good spirited riding shenko or if money isn't an option then great riding little mileage q2's. others fall inbetween in my experience so far. But again as the old saying goes " oppinions are like a holes ,everbody's got one " lol
Old 02-19-2013, 12:47 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Might want to consider Bridgestone BT-016's or 20's. Near Q2's grip and better mileage.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 PM
Back Marker

well I have done a little research and found the pilot power 3's are just a rain version of the 2ct's... I also found the pilot road 2's witch seem to be good all around tires... I like the Q2's but the mileage is bad... If im spending $300+ on tires they better last till the end of a 2nd season
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Northman69
well I have done a little research and found the pilot power 3's are just a rain version of the 2ct's... I also found the pilot road 2's witch seem to be good all around tires... I like the Q2's but the mileage is bad... If im spending $300+ on tires they better last till the end of a 2nd season
From where & for how much? What were the PR3's going for?

I've got about 12k miles on my Avon Ultra Storm 2's and they still have tread for another 1,000 or so! Check them out
Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I have a set of Power 3's - they are most definitely not a "rain version of the 2ct's"...you are thinking of Pilot Road 3's, which are a more rain friendly version of the Road 2's.

I bought a set of P3s for my RSV, if they last enough miles that they're worth buying over Q2s remains to be seen...they were expensive.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 PM
Squid

SloBlue is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rnb
+1 on the Conti Motions. I just put one on the front. I'm still using a Dunlop Roadsmart rear. I've got a few hundred miles on the Conti. I'm not very aggressive on my SH and I avoid the rain, but the price is right on the Conti's. I paid $80 including shipping.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Back Marker

man so many tires... I guess there are a lot of really nice tires ive just always used pilot tires and like them a lot... I think im sold on the road 2's... I dont care for coni's and the avons are pricey
Old 02-21-2013, 12:04 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
man so many tires... I guess there are a lot of really nice tires ive just always used pilot tires and like them a lot... I think im sold on the road 2's... I dont care for coni's and the avons are pricey

Where have U found the best price on those? I'm looking to get those & see that Jake WIlson has em for $266. shipped

Bike Bandit is $324. Shipped
Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 AM
Back Marker

19superchicken98 is on a distinguished road
I ride about 60 miles a day to and from work 6 days a week thats 360 miles if I don't go anywhere else per week, and good tires that last?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:13 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 19superchicken98
I ride about 60 miles a day to and from work 6 days a week thats 360 miles if I don't go anywhere else per week, and good tires that last?

I heard alot of good things about Dunlop Roadsmart IIs. We'll see how they work for me this season.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 AM
Back Marker

there are a lot of good brands of tires out there... and Im sure everyone has their favorite... to answer the question about the price my local motorcycle store iron pony has a set of the pilot road 2's for $280 but if i buy them from there i get a discount of the mount and balance... cheapest on the internet was around $270... And every review i looked at on the road 2's said they were amazing tires... sticky outside hard middle and they seemed to last way longer than the pilot power 2ct's in the reviews...
Old 02-25-2013, 06:34 AM
SuperBike

Dude, Cycle Gear was advertising Dunlop Q's for $199 a set! But either way make up your mind.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:03 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
there are a lot of good brands of tires out there... and Im sure everyone has their favorite... to answer the question about the price my local motorcycle store iron pony has a set of the pilot road 2's for $280 but if i buy them from there i get a discount of the mount and balance... cheapest on the internet was around $270... And every review i looked at on the road 2's said they were amazing tires... sticky outside hard middle and they seemed to last way longer than the pilot power 2ct's in the reviews...
Apples and oranges my friend! If you're doing mild to slightly aggressive street riding go with the pilot road 2 if you are HIGHLY aggressive street rider or slightly aggressive track rider then pp2's. I sold tires for 5 years at cycle gear and as far as all around tires with AMAZING mileage you can't go wrong with the pilot roads.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Back Marker

19superchicken98 is on a distinguished road
What do you guys think about continetals?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:05 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had Conti road attacks and race attacks, road attacks lasted longer, race attacks withstood front pack intermediate track day lap times with no issues. Good neutral feel on both models IMO good tires.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
Dude, Cycle Gear was advertising Dunlop Q's for $199 a set! But either way make up your mind.
say what im going to have to check that out
Old 02-27-2013, 10:30 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
say what im going to have to check that out
Dude go with the PR2s, there is a reason why everyone loves them.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Back Marker

There are just so many good tires... I talked to a few guys at iron pony my local motorcycle shop... They all had differing opinions as well... It seems the more sporty tires only last 3 to 4k miles... So I think I'm going to go with the pilot road 2s... They are dual compound so you get grip in the twisties and have the best mileage out of anything I have found in a sporty street tire
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 PM
SuperBike

Well that's fine but the "stones" BT-016 have 3 compounds and are 199.00 at Cycle Gear, now what?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
Well that's fine but the "stones" BT-016 have 3 compounds and are 199.00 at Cycle Gear, now what?
hmm I did have a set of those on my ZR750 and they were nice... Just read the description and they actually sound sweet... I wonder what the mileage is compared to the road 2's?

Quick Reply: TIRES TIRES WHAT KIND OF TIRES???