General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What's your opinion on the best overall gearing for the hawk?

Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
What's your opinion on the best overall gearing for the hawk?

After owning my hawk for a few months, I decided to get a -1 primary to see how it would feel to me. I got it in the stock 530 size so I could keep the same chain and rear sprocket on. I've had it on for several thousand miles, and decided to put the factory one back on. After having it on for just a few days, I can honestly say that I like the factory gearing better. Keep in mind that I am far from a nit-picky person, it has to be a pretty big change (No matter what its on) for me to notice. I can't notice a difference between 33 and 36 psi in the tires, I don't notice a difference in grip between a battlax, michieln pilot road, and dunlop quailfer. Although I ride pretty fast on some roads that are far from perfect, I'm scared to dump several hundred dollars into suspenion mods in fear that I'm not going to see a big improvement.

The only thing I noticed after returning it to factory gearing is that first gear is actually useable now. I found first to be too low beforehand, I couldn't imagine even using first with a 15/43 gearing set up. When I'm cruising on the back roads, I'm now using 3rd and 4th vs 4th and 5th. I don't notice a damn bit of difference in acceleration. I don't senselessly abuse my bike, but I do enjoy using all 1000cc's from time to time. It does clutch up wheelies just as easy now in 2nd as it did before. Still can't get 3rd gear wheelies for the life of me. The gearing change didn't throw the speedometer that far off either. It doesn't really make much of a big difference until your going past 80. With the -1 front and no speedohealer, I was able at one time to indicate 175 on a downhill. Even though I wasn't going that fast...it still looked cool to see the speedometer almost completely wrapped.

So there's my two cents. What do you guys say?
Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 AM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I looked at the title and figured this would be a thread where everyone gets free posts by flaming about doing a search.. the verdict isn't out on that one yet. Nice little anecdote to steer us in a particular direction, I suppose, so here goes:

I like my -1 in the front because it's easier to lug the motor at low rpms, particularly in first gear.. plus I can feel the difference throughout. I wanna go further with it though. I can't see needing to go 150 very often. If I went to the track a few times a season, maybe I'd have different thoughts.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:25 AM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the 16/43 I think it is the perfect setup....got great low end and still have good tank range...about 100 to 120miles. With the Speedo healer it's just nice to know exactly what I am doing....no guess work. And first gear power wheelies so nice and 2nd is no sweat....I just love it. I think 15/43 is good for the track....I like the power of roll on's in 5th and 6th with my gearing.

Just my thoughts....
Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Squid

Tucknroll is on a distinguished road
I have posted several opinions on this lately as well..... here is my two cents..
Go with the 16/43 combo. I just went to it last week and it was well worth it. I can't imagine going back to a 41 now. My next buy is the speedo healer.
With the 43 it really wakes up the bottom and mid range torq at the rear wheel, better excelleration, and brings 6th gear into the picture now on the freeway where it usually was pretty much useless before unless well in to the "ticket range".
Old 08-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I went up on the rear...43, kept the stock front...It is fine for me...Though, I have heard that if your only gonna do one, do the front...If I Keep the ole girl, then this winter she is getting a complete make-over...Gearing, Chain, Paint, pipes the whole 9 yards...At which point I will have no choice but to keep her for the long haul...
Old 08-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
OMG!!!! How many times can we ask the same f*&%ing question in one month????????? For chrissakes, !!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Yes, but when you add the right kind of oil to the bike, then the gearing is better off as well.. Not too mention filter type....and god forbid we talk about tires or tire pressure, that can make a huge difference when it comes to gearing...
Can open...
Old 08-01-2007, 04:14 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I always thought it was the brand of spark plugs....
Old 08-01-2007, 04:22 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
I have heard that if your only gonna do one, do the front...
I would think that doing the rear would be better on the chain. It wouldn't have to go around such a tight turn at the front sprocket.

Plus, you gotta love a shorter wheelbase!
Old 08-01-2007, 05:08 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
OMG!!!! How many times can we ask the same f*&%ing question in one month????????? For chrissakes, !!!!!!!!!
I think everybody has the right to ask for the latest opinion amongst current forum users. Search is always good for what the prevailing opinion HAS BEEN. Maybe some of the new riders have a different twist. Never hurts to ask.

Like Scoober I run the -1 in front and contrary to others - I notice it. So do the cops. I think it all has to do with the type roads you're on, the speeds that you can carry through the turns and a million other considerations.

Mine was all about the corners. I would lug badly in second and first was like granny-gear.

Now I can lay it over in a turn and twist through with good power-band in second. The difference between the -1 in front and doing them both is in the hundredths of gear ratios.

I was admittedly lazy - I was in there already doing other maintenance but did not have the proper tools for doing the rear. Besides the chain was nearly new (rk in 520) so let sleeping dogs lie. Just my .02
Old 08-01-2007, 05:13 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Scooberhawk
I would think that doing the rear would be better on the chain. It wouldn't have to go around such a tight turn at the front sprocket.

Plus, you gotta love a shorter wheelbase!

The shorter wheel base is very significant!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Back Marker

J.J. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider

Seriously
Old 08-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
I had some back & forth play in my rear sprocket so I changed out the rubber dampener set and while I had it apart I went ahead and put in a 15 up front and a 43 in back with the 530 chain and love it!
Man the bike feels much lighter accelerating. Not so much more torque that you have to hold on by your finger tips, but enough improvement that I'd recommend it to everybody for the street.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:37 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by nuhawk

The shorter wheel base is very significant!
Well, I was kinda just trying to shift attention away from the (unintended, but unavoidable) i-know-more-than-you,-kickin undertone... but I maintain that the difference in wheelbase between a 15/41 setup and a 16/43 setup is a noticeable one to many, especially the wheelie-folk.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:41 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wheelies are bad emkay.....if you wheelie then you're bad emkay......so don't wheelie or you'll be bad emmkay!!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Well, I was kinda just trying to shift attention away from the (unintended, but unavoidable) i-know-more-than-you,-kickin undertone... but I maintain that the difference in wheelbase between a 15/41 setup and a 16/43 setup is a noticeable one to many, especially the wheelie-folk.
Bite me
Old 08-02-2007, 03:51 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Emmm taste like chicken!!
Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 PM
MotoGP

So just how much does it change it?