General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 05:44 PM
Squid

KLR996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
a Scotts.
Do you guys find that you need a stabilizer? I've never felt like the steering was going to falter on this bike.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:07 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KLR996
Do you guys find that you need a stabilizer? I've never felt like the steering was going to falter on this bike.
Mine has had a high speed wobble for a good while. I can't point the finger to a mod or time it started. It's been through different brands of tires (I switched from Metzeler Z6 to Bridgestone bt016f/023r). I installed All ***** tapered rollers in the head not long after I got the bike and they are properly tensioned. For a long time, I ran the forks lifted 5mm's. With this springs maint, I moved them back to the point the clip stops them from going any lower. It helped, minutely.
This wobble doesn't just appear with speed and it doesn't get violent or out of control. I live in a very mountainous region (Appalachians) with excellent motorcycle roads. I'm going over humps and hills that launch me a lot. I have to be very disciplined.
I need to get the bike on the lift and properly measure rake and trail to see what's going on.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:13 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
For my vote an for all the vtrs Ive ridden I don't think so. I put one on when I first got the bike because it had the wobble but Dunlop roadsmarts fixed it. The damper was a bandage.

Wolverine I know you've looked into it but I would bet a can of spam you have a fork bushing issue, a swinger thing or some other issue. I just don't think these bikes need a damper in fit trim.

I float the front end over crests every time I ride at all speeds and never have a hint of instability. I know its a ghost gremlin issue but I bet you will find something. Even a bent wheel, imbalanced wheel, etc. Or a bent or not smoothly moving fork tube maybe.

Ive had issues like this on the track but its so much easier cuz you can do trial and error all day or even swap parts from your friends bike.

Have you had the same forks all this time? Like the issue didn't stay after a fork swap right?

The solution is there. Somewhere.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
I've never had a trace of wiggle out of my VTR either. I run the forks at stock height, have got a 6mm shim above the shock, and I have replaced all the bushings, seals and head bearings in the front.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:19 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Clearly you guys didn't look at the picture Wolverine posted. Do you see how cool that thing looks?
Old 06-22-2017, 10:20 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Yes, I run a Scotts.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:40 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Wolverine I know you've looked into it but I would bet a can of spam you have a fork bushing issue, a swinger thing or some other issue. I just don't think these bikes need a damper in fit trim.

I float the front end over crests every time I ride at all speeds and never have a hint of instability. I know its a ghost gremlin issue but I bet you will find something. Even a bent wheel, imbalanced wheel, etc. Or a bent or not smoothly moving fork tube maybe.

Have you had the same forks all this time? Like the issue didn't stay after a fork swap right?
The solution is there. Somewhere.
Same forks but they have been regularly serviced. When I swapped springs I inspected the bushings and they still had full teflon, no metal showing through at all. That's a cheap enough thing I could just replace next fluid change. I won't rule that out.
I will rule out swinger/wheel bearings and the head. I cleaned/inspected and re-lubed the shock linkage when I installed the Ohlins. And not long ago I did the same to the swinger bearings when I had it braced. And when I lowered the forks, I checked the head bearing preload. My bike never see's rain or water for that matter. It's garaged and ridden in good weather only (since I bought it '07). Appeared to have been kept this way by PO too. Those bearings and shafts are all in great condition with no corrosion at all.
I'm really curious on R/T. In my excitement to mount the O, I neglected to note the original ride height measurements. I have no idea if it raised the rear.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:59 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
hate opening my gob

How bout the wheel? You never know what someone else did. Plus any sexy caps can do it as they weigh a ton.
Rode dirty today. Almost got hit by a lotus exciege coming from work. Put his *** right to shame. On the highway. Also he races with my group so I got a present the shape of a fist for him.

I have been thinking about a damper for a long time. Granted my skill isn't up to par but that's actually why. When I come wheel up especially over a rolling crest (I also live in mountains.) She gets testy.

Coldest summer in years here BTW. Frikkin helmet fogged while gabbin. Slid the visor shut going 20kph and had to come to a stop round a bend! No cloth it was like driving in a funhouse with the leather conditioner and oil smeared everywhere.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:03 AM
MotoGP

And btw, I don't like spam... You win.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:27 PM
Squid

I finally get to post something I did!!

Got up early today, cleaned and lubed the old chain, I'm not sure the P.O. ever did it . Broke out the brushes and cleaned the sprocket and everything I could reach on the rear end as well (see previous comment about P.O. ). Slapped on a new tank protector and installed a speedo healer that I've had sitting in a box for like 4 years. Topped it all off with the haknslash led tail light mod.

There's plenty of adjustment in the current chain (which I'm sure is original), but even after a solid clean and lube, it's not really smooth and more importantly, it's ugly (j/k, but it does have corrosion in spots I wasn't able to remove). So I'm still gonna swap it out, I think.

I have parts for an R&R swap, which I need to do sooner than later, Krieger CCTs are on the short list, too. Gotta open up the turn signal controls and clean those out to see if it'll fix the delay I have, and I have yet to get a plate so I can actually get it out on the road to run a couple tanks of go juice through it!
Old 07-02-2017, 01:02 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
My bike used to shake it's head a bit with the standard forks when on the gas. I kinda liked it as I have an off road background.

When I put the USD forks on this has diminished.

Maybe you are just riding on the limits and the bike is letting you know.

I don't believe that a damper is necessary on these bikes, just some self control !
Old 07-02-2017, 03:42 AM
Superstock

Might as well bunch it all up riding school is 600for liscence Mid and 600 for unlimited. Lost my job at one of the company's they said I had a complaint and cut me to 20 hours a month. Won't get into it here but. I am loosing about 400 a month and that's my play money. But I have time to maintain the bike. I took her for a fun ride and have I got a story for you.

I was behind a truck a good ways back when I had something hit and scratch my visor. Then my neck then a tappy tap tap on my glove. I got to a rest stop and found a tack facing backwards out of my kevlar reinforced jacket. It struck my carbon slide pads and embedded in the kevlar so bad I had to use plires to get it out! AGAAT! Of course my wife's mom said oh he got in an accident to my wife. So I got a bunch of calls while I was out of service.fun fun. Vtr is back in action.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:48 AM
Superstock

Well! You all mist be riding. Today I had two major events. I discovered that NY mile wide chicken strips are due to dirty nasty roads. I went in a mountain and at much lower speeds I was able to go from a full thumb of chicken to a thumbnail with no effort. Bike dropped in like a magnet.

Wife sent a text saying help me. Right after my ride. And didn't answer. I apparently still don't have first gear doen pat because I over revved first enough to lock the wheel for a second. I also found the limits of the bikes stability in down swooping bends. Got to her job and asked my friend where she was no one knew. Well WiFi had went down and she failed to say please help me with WiFi..... Lol
Old 07-12-2017, 09:24 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Put a 70 mile shakedown run on the VTR last week The thing just runs incredibly well right off the shop floor.

The sag needs to be set front and rear. I fear that I may have gone about 2-3mm to high in the rear ride height, but I won't know until I set the sag. The spring rates are so far really perfect (thanks to Ducati Wizard Mike Weber) and the damping is really nice too (thank you again Mike Weber) the bike is firm, yet supple and compliant over bumps and transitions.

The carbs are working very, very nicely (thank you
Jay Morrison and Jack Flash), it fires right up idles nicely, pulls crisp and clean off the bottom, cruises at 3-4.5K RPM without any surging, and accelerates at any RPM without any drama at all. No carb farts, no popping on decel.

Brakes are great too with plenty of stopping power. I would like a little firmer feel at the lever, but I think some of the issue may be my hydraulic front brake light switch, as they have been re-bled and the system is air free.

The handlebars are the bomb (thank you Erik Marquez) I made some further adjustments to the angles and they are now very comfortable and work nicely with the Sargent seat
(Thanks again Erik Marquez)to make for a surprisingly comfortable ride.

The bike makes nice noises (Thanks to Captain Chaos and Marcello Castellucci) , and is a hoot to pilot! The guys at my old sponsoring dealer Manchester Honda all came out for a look-see. They thought it was pretty cool! I also took it up to Ducati Central, and Weber gave it the thumbs up!
�� It is BIG TIME FUN !!!!

Last tidbits to do color sand the belly pan, buff it out then mount it up!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-19884247_1687058807994833_1548964447185458318_n.jpg  

Last edited by Fastguy59; 07-12-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:17 PM
Squid

menace is on a distinguished road
a few things

I put on the case breathers for the tops of the valve covers getting my psr block offs on. flushing the coolant system to get ready for engine ice. placed the vent cap on the carb from the deleting the pair valve and reeds. so quick question for you experienced super hawk peeps out there. are the only case breathers on top of the valve covers?
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-img_20170713_183327693.jpg  
Old 07-18-2017, 09:57 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Mounted the belly pan up!~ Now for decals on said pan!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-19895057_1692352674132113_2792454995546506289_n.jpg  
Old 07-19-2017, 03:16 AM
Squid

mslate is on a distinguished road
What pan is that?
Old 07-19-2017, 07:31 PM
Superstock

Finally

I got the clutch slave in! She had been puddeling since I bought the bike. I have a love hate with my dealer as he charged hundreds over list for inspection exct. The only thing I saw was oil. But he helps out when I really need it.
Now I just need: MOSFET,carbs and cbr coils on the spare motor and I can do the engine swap. Plust the right hand tensioner. But I'll do that today!

Fast guy: I got a woodie reading about that bike. I am glad your hard work paid off. You made it into what the vtr should have been stock. By the way I have as lines. I hated the pull at first due to my inexperience but I like them now as they are firm and predictable. No desires on the brakes.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:19 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Fitting new chain and sprockets!

Nearly 40,000Klms , Regina 530 .

The chain gave up before the sprockets .

See how the new kit goes.

I got a good deal from Wemoto here in OZ !

I am lucky to have a parts wharehouse for bikes close by .
Old 07-21-2017, 05:32 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mslate
What pan is that?
Peter.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:24 PM
Superstock

pauter and carillo

Nothing, clutch slave is in and its pouring rain.
But I have a short story about my failures:

Both claim that they never made rods for a VTR before.... Right... Carillo wanted a 150 dollar engineering fee up front without a quote on rods or asking me anything further on specs. So I stopped there.
Pauter was a bit better but 1020 per rod.... Prepaid... A set for my Audi A8 was just shy of 2000 and that was also titular titanium.
I didn't smoke my crack yet this morning but even my hazy mind said... Nope...

By the way If you don't know I am trying to find titanium rods to lighten the load on the crank.... Which also has to be made... All for a few H.P. on a street bike.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:35 AM
SuperBike

Decided to dig into some long needed maintenance.
Coolant overflow bottle has had a slow leak for a while. Bugger'd the head of one of the fuel screws. Decided that 20 years (bike manufactured 3/97) was the life span of all the rubber hoses for cooling and vacuum. After reading about a members (sorry don't remember who) bad experience with a stuck thermostat, that had to be refreshed as well.
Bike is torn open and waiting for some of the parts I forgot to order before hand.
Now I think would also be a good time to do the fork swap. Though I don't know which is more irritating, the thought of swapping the current front tire to the new rim or spending MORE $ for a new tire (I have plans for the stock SH front end).
Old 07-31-2017, 10:05 AM
The Long Ride
Squid

IT_Mike is on a distinguished road
Dropped it off at the dealership on Friday. It died when I had a local independent shop install mCCTs and I haven't had the time to fix it.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:08 AM
Squid

superhawkfan is on a distinguished road
Rode it for the first time this year after a carb cleaning. Like a new bike. Fun, fun. Seat still sucks even with a gel insert. I have handle bar conversion and need to put either shot or silicone into the bar to dampen vibes. geo
Old 08-01-2017, 02:35 PM
Back Marker

fabiostar is on a distinguished road
fitted these bad boys..

Name:  jNeJ3CZ.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  503 Bytes

Name:  wLaeCgJ.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  503 Bytes
Old 08-01-2017, 11:10 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by fabiostar
fitted these bad boys...
Now that's sexy.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:57 AM
SuperBike

Is the braided line from the oil fill for a vent?
Old 08-10-2017, 04:10 PM
Squid

eatpasta is on a distinguished road
I changed the oil for the first time on my Hawk. Only had it three days but the oil looked dodgy.

...and green.

Still a lot of little things that i need to do to this bird as it was not looked after very well, but getting that sludge out of there was #1

Next is bleeding the brakes lines and probably a coolant flush.

Got to finally ride it today for the first time. It's been twenty years since I have wanted one of these!

man did it feel good to stretch its legs
Old 08-10-2017, 08:07 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by eatpasta
I changed the oil for the first time on my Hawk. Only had it three days but the oil looked dodgy.

...and green.
Why bottle it? Sending for UOA?
Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Squid

eatpasta is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Why bottle it? Sending for UOA?

How am I going to get it down to Autozone, in a ziplock?

Did levers yesterday as well:

Old

new:

Im trying to get a thread started but I dont think I have enough posts yet...

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?