General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

VFR bar mod and adjusting the bar radius "stops"

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
VFR bar mod and adjusting the bar radius "stops"

another possibly "dumb" question, but i'm throwing it out there anyhow...did the VFR bar mod, slightly trimmed my upper fairing & everything turned out excellent (much better position easier on my wrists etc...) with the stock bars there are some sort of stops to keep the stock clip-ons from bashing the tank. the VFR bars are at a different angle so the stock "stops" do not work. it's not a huge deal i just have to be careful on full lock turn arounds etc not to bump the horn or starter...is there a fairly easy way to add some sort of stop? any direction as to how to do this?

thanks again guys!

andy
Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Andy...

There are a few options....

First.... when I had the bars, I turned the steering to full lock, then adjusted the respective bar back as far as I could leaving like 1/16" before the horn/starter hit the tank. This worked great, although you will eventually catch your thumb every now and then... i speak from experience!!!

Second... a real cheap quick alternative shoudl you liek the bars further back would be to take some thin aluminum/sheet metal and epoxy it to the stops on the frame... this won't be permanent but will reduce the steering lock to lock some, and therefore aviod the button hitting the tank. You'll probably want to experiment with a few thicknesses before epoxying something in place. A much more secure method would be to tap the frame or triple at the stops, and place a bolt/screw there... but obviously this will leave a mark should you want to remove it in the future.

J.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Superstock

andy9743 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
Andy...

There are a few options....

First.... when I had the bars, I turned the steering to full lock, then adjusted the respective bar back as far as I could leaving like 1/16" before the horn/starter hit the tank. This worked great, although you will eventually catch your thumb every now and then... i speak from experience!!!

Second... a real cheap quick alternative shoudl you liek the bars further back would be to take some thin aluminum/sheet metal and epoxy it to the stops on the frame... this won't be permanent but will reduce the steering lock to lock some, and therefore aviod the button hitting the tank. You'll probably want to experiment with a few thicknesses before epoxying something in place. A much more secure method would be to tap the frame or triple at the stops, and place a bolt/screw there... but obviously this will leave a mark should you want to remove it in the future.

J.

perfect...i'll look into adjusting the bars, and adding stops. thanks for the response i'll report back.

andy
Old 03-04-2009, 08:39 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Stick on lead weights for balancing wheels. Cut it to size and stick it on. It's less permanent than epoxy and easier to cut.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Stick on lead weights for balancing wheels. Cut it to size and stick it on. It's less permanent than epoxy and easier to cut.
Great suggestion... funny how I didn't think of this as last night I was balancing one of my front wheels!!!

J.